2 Discs with ScummVM (Curse of Monkey Island)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Black Seas of Infinity

2 Discs with ScummVM (Curse of Monkey Island)

Post by Black Seas of Infinity »

Just got ScummVM the other day. I really enjoy it and am finally able to play Curse of Monkey Island again... I'm happy.

But I'm coming across a major issue which is preventing me from continuing gameplay.

Problem: Curse of Monkey Island is a 2-disc game, and halfway through, one must switch out CDs in order continue. Because I'm using ScummVM though, there's a problem with the switch. ScummVM will pop up a message that says, "[such and such] not found. Insert disc 2 and click Retry," which is normal... but when I insert the second disc and click Retry, nothing will happen. The window won't even disappear.

What do I do here? I would really like to keep playing this game :(

Help is greatly appreciated.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

-Copy all the files listed here to some directory of your hard drive.
-Use the 'add game' option in ScummVM and point it to that directory.
-Profit
Black Seas of Infinity

OK, I'm a little embarrassed <.<

I can't find these files... Where would they be located? I tried the Lucas Arts folder and also the ScummVM folder. I only found "comi.s00", "comi.c01", "comi.s01" (these in ScummVM folder), and then in the Lucas Arts folder "COMI".

Thanks for the quick response.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Black Seas of Infinity wrote: I can't find these files... Where would they be located?
Right there on the game CDs. I'm not sure how to make it any plainer. This is what the first CD contains for me:

Code: Select all

autorun.inf  comi.la1   directx/  launcher.tab  monkeytg.txt  resource/
comi.la0     curse.exe  install/  monkeytg.doc  readme.txt
The / at the end of the name indicates that it's a folder. I haven't bothered to list their contents. You can safely ignore all the files except for comi.la0, comi.la1 and the resource folder. On the second CD, it's even simpler:

Code: Select all

autorun.inf  comi.la0  comi.la2  curse.exe  launcher.tab  resource/
The comi.la0 file should be identical on both CDs. There's some overlap between the contents of the resource folder on the first and second CDs as well, but again the files should be identical if they appear on both.
Black Seas of Infinity

Ah, directly on the CD. Very cool.

Thank you so much!
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Files with same names and different contents on both cds have to be renamed as documented. But I think that does not apply here.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Nope.
In MI3's case there are duplicate filenames, but they are exactly the same file, so you can overwrite one with the other safely.
Death.

Post by Death. »

Hi. I have scummVM and have used it to play other games like Monkey Island 1 & 2, Lure of the Temptress, Simon the Sorceror etc. by downloading them.

I own a copy of The Curse of Monkey Island but running it normally usually results in it coming up with a problem part way through the game. I assume from this thread that it's possible to run CoMI using scummVM? I have tried to do this by opening scummVM, going to where i have the game installed and clicking 'Add' - but it says scummVM could not find any game in that directory.

Does anyone know how i would get it running through scummVM?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Death. wrote:Hi. I have scummVM and have used it to play other games like Monkey Island 1 & 2, Lure of the Temptress, Simon the Sorceror etc. by downloading them.
Forum Rules. READ BEFORE POST. wrote: 0) No Warez. No Abandonware discussions. Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated. No, it's not okay to request parts of a game either, even if you already own another version of it, or to replace damaged media. Consider Copyright FAQ.
Sorry you won't get any more help on here, since you violated the above mentioned forum rule.
Death.

Post by Death. »

Ah, no problem. I've already got the help i needed.
OnionBolt

Post by OnionBolt »

Could you help me as well.

I have all files (RESOURCE, COMI.LA0, COMI.LA1 and COMI.LA2) in the right place and I have been able to play through the FIRST disc of the game. But when normally I should change discs it just throws some gibberish at my face (It gave me the options to either write 'Exit' or 'help'... Neither did me any good)
So my question is: How do I "change" from disc1 to disc2 on ScummVM?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

OnionBolt wrote:But when normally I should change discs it just throws some gibberish at my face
That "gibberish" might, in fact, be just the information needed to diagnose the problem. (The most common that I've heard of is that ScummVM can't find the file musdisk2.bun which, if you've copied all the files, should be in the resource folder. But I have no way of knowing if that's the problem you're having.)
OnionBolt

Post by OnionBolt »

Well actually it might've asking about that... I mean the musdisk2.bun (I'm not at my own computer at the moment so I can't check. But I'm certain it is that)

I also noticed that Disc 1 and 2 RESOURCE folders have different files in them. Now could you or someone else tell me what it means and what I must do to make it work without making me feel like the complete ass I am...

I'd appreciate it.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Don't worry, lots of people struggle with this. The topic that will help you is a sticky topic on this Help and Support forum though. :wink:

You can go to this topic for a full guide I wrote to get Curse of Monkey Island working (it also answers your question about the resource folders):

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8012

Hope you get it working. Please report back to say how it goes, I am still working on the guide and like to know when people come across problems.
OnionBolt

Post by OnionBolt »

IT'S ALIVE!!! ALIIIIIIIVE!!!

Yah it's working great now thanks!
NOW I CAN FINALLY PLAY CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND FOR Two hours before I leave..... For Egypt... Where I can't take my computer with me.......... OH SONOVA*****!

But yeah. Thanks for the help.