FreeSCI SCI engine implementation has been merged in

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

Reckless wrote:
rivadolmo wrote:Thanx so much !

Do you have a personal web page for your project?
I know I shouldn't bite but... are you being 'stupid' on purpose? Ever thought of clicking the 'The website of Brandom Blume' image in each of his posts? And/or learn to use a search engine FFS.
I finalize my request:

Is there a personal page used by the team to publish the working in progress, explain and dialog about the technical matters of the project?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

rivadolmo wrote:
Reckless wrote:
rivadolmo wrote:Thanx so much !

Do you have a personal web page for your project?
I know I shouldn't bite but... are you being 'stupid' on purpose? Ever thought of clicking the 'The website of Brandom Blume' image in each of his posts? And/or learn to use a search engine FFS.
I finalize my request:

Is there a personal page used by the team to publish the working in progress, explain and dialog about the technical matters of the project?
No, unless you want to keep track of code commits
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Point received DrMcCoy!
rivadolmo wrote:I finalize my request:

Apologies, I shouldn't have been so blunt and assuming in my post!
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I'm currently writing a remake of King's Quest II in the SCI0 engine. It runs fine in DOS, but in FreeSCI there are a few glitches when interacting with water as if it's not interpreting the script code exactly as it should. So these errors would be inherent in ScummVM as well unless the problem is solved. It isn't like AGI where the logic files can be decompiled quite easily, SCI script resources can't be decompiled (easily) and therefore the chances of an SCI0 fangame running in FreeSCI/ScummVM are a little lower. It all depends on how well FreeSCI will emulate the SCI engine, which right now isn't perfect.
I finalize my request:

Bossk

Post by Bossk »

rivadolmo wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:I'm currently writing a remake of King's Quest II in the SCI0 engine. It runs fine in DOS, but in FreeSCI there are a few glitches when interacting with water as if it's not interpreting the script code exactly as it should. So these errors would be inherent in ScummVM as well unless the problem is solved. It isn't like AGI where the logic files can be decompiled quite easily, SCI script resources can't be decompiled (easily) and therefore the chances of an SCI0 fangame running in FreeSCI/ScummVM are a little lower. It all depends on how well FreeSCI will emulate the SCI engine, which right now isn't perfect.
I finalize my request:

The best sources of information are the development mailinglist, IRC and svn logs.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Guys, I think he is asking about the King's Quest remake project, not ScummVM:P
EugeneE

Post by EugeneE »

Cool,

Support for SCI in ScummVM is like a dream come true.

I like how ScummVM plays the AGI games from Sierra and also homebrew AGI games.

Can't wait for the day when ScummVM will play SCI games.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

rivadolmo wrote:
I finalize my request:

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I have a section for the KQ2SCI remake on my website if you'll click the banner in my signature. Aside from what's explained there, there is no other information on it. It's not open source and there is no team. I'm the only one doing it right now.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

SCI performance already seems vastly improved over just a few weeks ago. I swear I'm hearing new sound effects in Space Quest III, but I could be imagining things!
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Something I should point about about SCI Studio and SCI Companion - they both have a "recompile" option which can recompile any game it's currently looking at - including Sierra's games. I tested this out for instance by using SCI Studio to recompile the data files from my copy of Leisure Suit Larry 2. The result was a recreated 'resource.map' and 'resource.001', the latter file being the sole-existing data file this time, due to all the data being combined into a new, single file rather than spread across various-sized bite-chunks of files like before.

According to Studio's documentation, its main purpose is seemingly to save some disk space that may be taken up by non-compacted data files, as well as naturally clean up the directory a bit. My concern is that someone might do this and then be bemused as to why ScummVM may have trouble running it well, or simply not run it at all. I need some sleep now, but when I get time I'll see if the files retain a specfic MD5/Hash value post-recompile (for each time you convert multiple files into a single file).