Will SCUMMVM support...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Will support...

Post by eriktorbjorn »

elpitufo wrote:When will it support: Laura Bow Adventures like Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra? xDDDD
Thanks!
A more realistic question is probably, "When will FreeSCI support Laura Bow Adventures like Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra?"

Either way, I don't know. Their Web page lists The Colonel's Bequest as one of the games they hope to support for the 0.5.0 release, whenever that is.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

bresh wrote:When will scummvm support discworld 1 and 2? If it will... :)
See the Discworld article on the ScummVM Wiki. The short version is that it might very well happen, but that at least I haven't heard any updates on it for a few months.
Albertini

Post by Albertini »

This Project works more quickly to the Sarien project, i need a ScummVM like motor for the Space QUest 5 !!! :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Albertini wrote:This Project works more quickly to the Sarien project, i need a ScummVM like motor for the Space QUest 5 !!! :)
Maybe so, but having the Sarien and FreeSCI developers rewrite their code for the ScummVM framework would give them less time for new development, not more. The current ScummVM developers wouldn't be of much help unless they were already involved with those project to begin with.
bresh

Post by bresh »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
bresh wrote:When will scummvm support discworld 1 and 2? If it will... :)
See the Discworld article on the ScummVM Wiki. The short version is that it might very well happen, but that at least I haven't heard any updates on it for a few months.
sure hope it will. right now if i start 1st discworld it actually works, but without sound... if i start it with vdmsound it doenst locate cd drive. as for discworld 2, i installed windows version and when i run the game it reports an unknown error.
Mim

Post by Mim »

bresh wrote:right now if i start 1st discworld it actually works, but without sound... if i start it with vdmsound it doenst locate cd drive. as for discworld 2, i installed windows version and when i run the game it reports an unknown error.
Discworld 1 works in DOSBox http://dosbox.sourceforge.net . Discworld 2 does not work well with it (I had various problems when I tried it) but you can try to run the game in Windows - you must install DOS version: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p ... =discworld
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Ok don't flame...

Any chance at all in the future that games such as SQ4,5,6/KQ4,5,6,7/LSL4,6,7 would ever be compatible with ScummVM obviously using the SCI engne as I don't see FreeSCI ever coming to support those games, I dont think its had an update in 2 years.

Although just thinking VU are re-releasing the "Quest" collections sometime this year so it will be interesting to see how they work on XP etc.
Oehli

Post by Oehli »

Angelus3K wrote:Ok don't flame...

Any chance at all in the future that games such as SQ4,5,6/KQ4,5,6,7/LSL4,6,7 would ever be compatible with ScummVM obviously using the SCI engne as I don't see FreeSCI ever coming to support those games, I dont think its had an update in 2 years.
while it is obviously slow and your doubts might be more or less justified, the last change in freesci / freesci glutton was dec 22nd 2005 ;)
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Thanks, thats good to know.

We shouldnt really compare ScummVM to FreeSCI but it hurts Sierra fans that they dont have a capable emulator/interpreter as majestic as ScummVM.
MasterGrazzt

Post by MasterGrazzt »

John the adventurer wrote: About game engines: What about Snatcher and Policenauts?
Actually, these games aren't point and click adventures. They're adventures to be sure, but they're done in the rarely seen outside of Japan style of the digital comic, which uses a first person interface, with a depiction of the location and characters, and a menu of changing actions (usually including "THINK", sometimes to advance the game you have to dwell on your situation) below it.

For example, if I was in the JUNKER headquarters in Snatcher and I wanted to look at the receptionist's desk, I would scroll my highlight over the action "LOOK", press the control-pad button, then select "DESK" and read the description. ScummVM isn't the engine for this. You can emulate the SegaCD Snatcher using GENS, if you have a copy of the game, you can put it in your disk drive, and the emulator will recognize it.

Policenauts, by the way, was never translated, which is a shame. Attempts are being made, both fan and within Konami, to have it localized for North America and other English speaking places. An official translation might actually have a slim chance of materializing since anything with the name "Hideo Kojima" on it is guaranteed to fly off the shelves. Although I imagine some people would be disappointed by the lack of mullets.
Herrscher wrote:What also would be cool, as it is really a mess under Win2K / XP, is "Prisoner Of Ice".
IA IA CTHULHU FTHAGN!
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Hey MasterGrazzt, I remember you from the AGDI/Tierra forums.

Oops sorry OT!
MasterGrazzt

Post by MasterGrazzt »

I remember me from there too.
tore

Post by tore »

eriktorbjorn wrote: From what I understand, it's a sequel to Shadow of the Comet, which I'm told is a better game, but I haven't gotten around to playing that one yet.
Shadow of the Comet was great! Just the kind of game I'd love to see ScummVM support for. Got my hands on it cheap and tried playing it with dosbox, but it seems to crash after a while, so it gets tedious. As far as 2d adventure/horror games go, it's way up there in my opinion.
Jan

Post by Jan »

What about The Longest Journey?

It isn't more demanding than Curse of Monkey Island or Grim Fandango and it would be great to play the game natively in Mac OS X. It's running under Virtual PC, but not too good. :(
tiktektak

HI....

Post by tiktektak »

Firstly I have to say Hi to you all!!! I'm new on this forum but watched and used SCUMMVM for maybe a year or so....
I love this thingy!!! It's A+++ quality!!! I'm very sorry I can't code
myself because I would be very interested in helping to implement some more games. I never would complain in any way because there's allready a very long list of fantastic titles supported by SCUMMVM.
A big thumbs up to all developers and contributors.... Ok....
Now for my questions....

I happen to have a version of Shadow of the Comet(english, PC-CD) at home and also of Prisoner of Ice(eng, PC-CD) and now I'm asking myself.... These two games are verrrrry good ones(inspired by H.P. Lovecraft) and I would be happy to donate them....
Now how to find a person willing to develop??? Can I just try to ask a friend to implement or could I myself propably learn how to extract the source code and implement it? I used C and C++ in university a very little bit....
How complicated is it to implement a game into SCUMMVM?

I have Toonstruck(PC-CD, eng) at home somewhere, too...

A PC-CD, german version of Goooblins 1 and 2 is also standing on my desk....

Another question... Thare is another classic adventure I've got at home. It's name is Darkseed(PC-Cd, eng) and it was inspired by H.R. Gigers artwork(the man who created alien)... Now I know you're rather not into the horror genre but this game really fascinated me back in the early nineties when I played it... So could it be implemeted?

Hope that wasn't too much for my first post it's just that I'm really fascinated by SCUMMVM and would like to see more and more games(especially those cooool Point-and-Click-Adventures that one can just love) to be up and running!

Cheers