Discworld current state

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Discworld current state

Post by ezekiel000 »

I know the Discworld 1 isn't supported yet I just have a few questions on the current state of the engine.

Is it a known issue that the sound effects are out of sync and sometime not even played?
And is there meant to be an animation the first time you talk to the librarian each time Rincewind says ouch?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Discworld current state

Post by DrMcCoy »

ezekiel000 wrote:Is it a known issue that the sound effects are out of sync and sometime not even played?
I don't think so. If you're on a big endian system, this could be an endianness-related regression, though.
Could you give an example where exactly this happens for you?
ezekiel000 wrote:And is there meant to be an animation the first time you talk to the librarian each time Rincewind says ouch?
Could you clarify this a bit?
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Im playing through Discworld using Lostechs scummVM_ARM_STATIC_2009_02_23. I use a TyTN II with Windows Mobile 6.

At the moment I'm in chapter 1 and has noted a graphical glitch when talking to the beggar lying in the street.
All the conversation icons disappeared, but came back again when I chose one of the invisible icons in the conversation bar.
ezekiel000

Re: Discworld current state

Post by ezekiel000 »

DrMcCoy wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:Is it a known issue that the sound effects are out of sync and sometime not even played?
I don't think so. If you're on a big endian system, this could be an endianness-related regression, though.
Could you give an example where exactly this happens for you?
ezekiel000 wrote:And is there meant to be an animation the first time you talk to the librarian each time Rincewind says ouch?
Could you clarify this a bit?
I run the daily Ubuntu amd64 build (20090223), when you try to open the wardrobe at the begining of the game the sfx for Rincewind doing magic for the third time plays before he moves his hand forward and fires the magic. There was no sfx for when the librarian attacks Rincewind in the dinning hall when he says monkey. Another example of sync problems is the sfx for the Perfect 10 logo the last beat happens before the star reaches it's final position. Another would be the fly in the intro it's flying sound stops before it has landed above where the drunk guy gets killed.

When you talk to the librarian trying to get the book without giving him the banana Rincewind says monkey three times the first two he says ouch but the librarian hasn't hit him only the last time he gets knocked down and asks if anyone got the number of that cart does the librarian move and hit Rincewind.

A funny bug I found is if you walk below and past the exit of the dinning hall your head disappear behind the door mask.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

I can't reproduce any of these issues here on Debian amd64, with the SCN version of the game. Do you perchance have the GRA version? (I.e. there would be a "DW.GRA" data file, not a "DW.SCN")
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Yes I have the GRA version.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

ezekiel000 wrote:Yes I have the GRA version.
The GRA version was the first version of the game, and it had several small glitches like these. Most of these have been corrected in the newer version with SCN files
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

DrMcCoy wrote:I can't reproduce any of these issues here on Debian amd64, with the SCN version of the game. Do you perchance have the GRA version? (I.e. there would be a "DW.GRA" data file, not a "DW.SCN")
No I have a .SCN version.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

md5 wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:Yes I have the GRA version.
The GRA version was the first version of the game, and it had several small glitches like these. Most of these have been corrected in the newer version with SCN files
Ah so there's nothing that can be done? a patch or hack?
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

ezekiel000 wrote: Ah so there's nothing that can be done? a patch or hack?
Well Psygnosis released a patch: http://www.lspace.org/ftp/games/discworld/disc104n.zip
What does it fix?
According to Chris McMullen: "Not a lot of the bugs, really. It does fix the clicking noise that
accompanied the speech in the unpatched version
"

I don't know whether it is possible to amend any of the bugs through workarounds in the tinsel engine?

How many different versions are there?
There are, in total 4 versions of the full game:
1: The PC floppy version
2: The PC CD Version 1.
It contains all the bugs mentioned in section 2.4. There is a patch available for this version, but it still remains buggy.
3: The PC CD Version 2. Discworld: The Directors Cut.
This is a completely fixed version of the Discworld version 1.. with virtually every bug removed.
4: The Apple Mac version:
This is more or less the Mac version of the Directors cut, with the extra graphics, and bug fixes of the PC CD version 2.

I certainly hope the upcoming freeware version will be of the 'Directors Cut' line...
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

After picking up the second tomato from the booth in the square, thus triggering the 'worm cut-scene' there is no worm to pick up from the ground after the cut-scene is completed.
(using Lostechs scummVM_ARM_STATIC_2009_02_23. I use a TyTN II with Windows Mobile 6)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

pncFreak wrote:After picking up the second tomato from the booth in the square, thus triggering the 'worm cut-scene' there is no worm to pick up from the ground after the cut-scene is completed.
(using Lostechs scummVM_ARM_STATIC_2009_02_23. I use a TyTN II with Windows Mobile 6)
There is, it's just too small (WAY too small for a mobile screen)
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Could this be fixed by making a buffer round the clickable hotspots in the game (i.e set some params in the Tinsel engine so that a stylus can click on things even if they don hit the exact pixel)?
I mean there is no other reason why this game can't be completed on a small device (240x320) (it's a VGA game so it should be in compliance with the 640×480 , 640×350 and 320×200).

Does anyone know if it is possible to display all hotspots on a screen?

I was thinking that that could make the pixel hunt easier.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

pncFreak wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote: Ah so there's nothing that can be done? a patch or hack?
Well Psygnosis released a patch: http://www.lspace.org/ftp/games/discworld/disc104n.zip
What does it fix?
According to Chris McMullen: "Not a lot of the bugs, really. It does fix the clicking noise that
accompanied the speech in the unpatched version
"

I don't know whether it is possible to amend any of the bugs through workarounds in the tinsel engine?

How many different versions are there?
There are, in total 4 versions of the full game:
1: The PC floppy version
2: The PC CD Version 1.
It contains all the bugs mentioned in section 2.4. There is a patch available for this version, but it still remains buggy.
3: The PC CD Version 2. Discworld: The Directors Cut.
This is a completely fixed version of the Discworld version 1.. with virtually every bug removed.
4: The Apple Mac version:
This is more or less the Mac version of the Directors cut, with the extra graphics, and bug fixes of the PC CD version 2.

I certainly hope the upcoming freeware version will be of the 'Directors Cut' line...
Yeah that patch only contains sound drivers and and updated program file no fixed game data. Thanks anyway.
I guess I'll have to wait for Discworld to be released as freeware to play it without bugs.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

md5 wrote:There is, it's just too small (WAY too small for a mobile screen)
Just posted a bug on this issue:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=418820

It seems like the lower part of the screen is out of bounds.

Kind of hard seeing a worm that is out of sight.

Once the screen alignment issue is fixed i suppose the worm should be just as visible as the flies buzzing around Dibblers head :)

Edit: :D Kostas has fixed it in the trunk, so now the aspect scaler issue is obliterated. Thank you Kostas!