PC Games on Mac OSX

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ssp242

PC Games on Mac OSX

Post by ssp242 »

Hi,

I just discovered ScummVM and can't wait to go home and try it. I just read somewhere I can run PC games on the Mac OSX. I know Monkey Island 1 & 2 are available as freeware for the Mac but don't run on my MacBook Pro. I have my CD's of all the old LucasArts games for the PC, will they work through ScummVM on my Mac?

Also, the main games I want to play are:

All the Monkey Islands, The Dig, Full Throttle, AfterLife, maybe the Indy game and Maniac Mansion 2.

Has there been any problems associated with these games for the Mac OSX? I've been going through the forums and don't see anything major.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The Monkey Island games are NOT freeware.

However, if you own the original games, it is fully possible to run them through scummvm on OS X, regardless of which platfor they were intended for.
clem

Post by clem »

Jonatan wrote:However, if you own the original games, it is fully possible to run them through scummvm on OS X, regardless of which platfor they were intended for.
... with the exception of Afterlife, which is not (and won't be) supported by ScummVM.
Sixkiller

Post by Sixkiller »

I have a question to add to this.
I bought Monkey Island 3 a few years back and it came with MI 1&2 on disc. I just got my MacBook and I ran them through SCUMMVM. It recognized them alright but there's no sound. Am I doing something wrong?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Did you run them from the hard disk?

IIRC, iMuse support has never been completed for mac, but I might be wrong.

In the case of Monkey Island 1, it might use redbook audiotracks(regular cd-tracks) which you would need to rip to mp3, but I am unsure of this as I don't know which version of MI1 came with the bounty pack.
Sixkiller

Post by Sixkiller »

I'm not sure what you mean but yeah I ran it off the CD it came on. When I put the CD in iTunes always asks me if I want to rip the CD into iTunes. So I should then import that folder into SCUMMVM and run it with MI1?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

It is alway recommended to copy the datafiles to the hard disk of your computer and run the game through ScummVM from there.

Does iTunes show only one track or 24 or so?
If you only see one track, then that is the datatrack and no you do not need to rip it. If you see 24 or so tracks, you need to rip every one of them(except the first track which still is the datatrack) to mp3 and rename them track01.mp3, track02.mp3 and so on and place them in the same folder as your gamedatafiles for MI1.
You can also use .ogg or .flac if you so prefer.

Monkey Island 2 only uses midi, so in this case you only need to copy the required datafiles to you hard drive.

For a list of required datafiles for each game see:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

Hope this helps.[/url]
Sixkiller

Post by Sixkiller »

Sound simple enough just one more question the tracks seem out of order.Like the intro song is like track 16 so do I have organize them or just rip rename and place.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

You just need to rip them and rename them starting with track1.mp3/ogg to track24.mp3/ogg. Don't change the order and place them in the same folder as the data files.
BJ_Wanlund

Post by BJ_Wanlund »

Sixkiller wrote:I have a question to add to this.
I bought Monkey Island 3 a few years back and it came with MI 1&2 on disc.
Which version? The jewel case?

BJ