Blade Runner by Westwood: any chance?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Blade Runner by Westwood: any chance?

Post by LordHoto »

bobdevis wrote: Also you revive interest in the game, making it more easy to find for sale or as a torrent.
Just that nobody in here is interested in torrents :-).
doomer

Post by doomer »

Buy the original and play it Windows XP/Vista. :)
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

bobdevis wrote:I guess that if the source code will ever be released, it may make it into Residual, not Scumm, because of the 3D models.
I guess somewhere down the line Residual will become part of ScummVm..
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

SuperDre wrote:
bobdevis wrote:I guess that if the source code will ever be released, it may make it into Residual, not Scumm, because of the 3D models.
No, the two projects got different aims (2D point'n'click adventures vs 3D ones)
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

md5 wrote:
SuperDre wrote:
No, the two projects got different aims (2D point'n'click adventures vs 3D ones)
Even though both have different aims, they both share one big common aim, adventures.. and also remember, Scummvm started out with one aim 'scumm games' and it expanded into a lot of different adventure games (and also non-adventure games) and I said 'down the line' which doesn't mean 'any time soon'..

Is there a website dedicated to Residual? because I can't seem to find any info on it..
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

There is no website. Almost nobody works on Residual. The reason it won't merge with ScummVM is that it has a 3D architecture, while ScummVM has a 2D one, they are fundamentally incompatible.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

I'don't know if i have done understood.

Westwood studio have lost the original code of this game or they doesn't want give it (license rights...) ?

And until you have this one, it's totally impossible to add the game on ScummVm ?

So the biggest problem are the copyrirghts, if they accept it will be totally possible to play Blade Runner on ScummVm ?

But they don't... :cry:

Sorry for my awful English...
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Err... well, it actually requires someone to do the coding work as well:P It's a LOT of work. But, yes, it is possible to do without the source code, it is only even MORE work to do it though.

And if I've understood things correctly, Bladre Runner is not really suited for ScummVM in it's present state.
madmoose
ScummVM Developer

Post by madmoose »

FWIW, I wrote a VQA movie player that can play the movie files from Blade Runner. I started looking into decoding the ZBUF and other Blade Runner specific video file blocks, but my ADD got the better of me.

If anybody wants to pick it up, let me know. Or maybe my ADD will send be circling back around to it some day :-)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

madmoose wrote:FWIW, I wrote a VQA movie player that can play the movie files from Blade Runner. I started looking into decoding the ZBUF and other Blade Runner specific video file blocks, but my ADD got the better of me.

If anybody wants to pick it up, let me know. Or maybe my ADD will send be circling back around to it some day :-)
How do these VQA movies differ from the ones in Malcolm's Revenge?
madmoose
ScummVM Developer

Post by madmoose »

md5 wrote: How do these VQA movies differ from the ones in Malcolm's Revenge?
Oh right, totally spaced on that being there :-)

Anyway, Blade Runner uses VQA HC, which is 16-bit movies. There are some compression and structure difference but they're not too big.