FreeSCI SCI engine implementation has been merged in

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

You're both wrong. GK1 is one of the last SCI1.1 games. After that they made hi-res games in SCI32 and LSCI. There is no SCI2.

Awesome news! Looking forward to seeing SCI development surge forward a little faster now!
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:You're both wrong. GK1 is one of the last SCI1.1 games. After that they made hi-res games in SCI32 and LSCI. There is no SCI2.

Awesome news! Looking forward to seeing SCI development surge forward a little faster now!
Sorry I don't know much about SCI, I got my info from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra%27s ... nterpreter
Last edited by ezekiel000 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MusicallyInspired

There aren't many reliable sources on SCI information on the internet. That's not one of them either. There's no SCI2 or SCI3 and the interpreters from QFG2 and the EGA version of KQ5 are not interchangable because QFG2's interpreter supports a parser while all versions of KQ5 wiped the parser from the interpreter completely.
maximus

Post by maximus »

This is very very exciting news. Even more exciting since I only asked about the usability of the GSoC code like 2 weeks ago, then all of a sudden ... pow ... sci is added as an engine :D

Good luck guys. I'm sure I speak for everyone who's been "nagging" the developers for the last few yeas that we're very excited to see how this progresses :)
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Cool. I remember years ago when they said it would never happen! Wouldn't it be hilarious if ScummVM ended up becoming an OS to rival Windows and Linux in like 50 years?

The real question is...how long before ScummVM becomes self-aware and starts absorbing other projects on its own?
rivadolmo

FreeSci version to be used for a new adventure

Post by rivadolmo »

MusicallyInspired wrote:There aren't many reliable sources on SCI information on the internet. That's not one of them either. There's no SCI2 or SCI3 and the interpreters from QFG2 and the EGA version of KQ5 are not interchangable because QFG2's interpreter supports a parser while all versions of KQ5 wiped the parser from the interpreter completely.
I got that link
http://www.bripro.com/scistudio/

I would like to know which version will be integrated in ScummVM?

Thank you
zrina7

Post by zrina7 »

Will Leasure Suit Larry 6 be supported?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: FreeSci version to be used for a new adventure

Post by criezy »

rivadolmo wrote:I got that link
http://www.bripro.com/scistudio/

I would like to know which version will be integrated in ScummVM?

Thank you
It seems to me the answer was in the first post of this topic (and in the news on the website):
sev wrote:Of course, don't expect any magic from it. First, the engine is not announced as supported yet. It is in early stages of integration. Then, you should keep in mind that after the merge will settle down, only SCI0, SCI01 and SCI1 games will be supported. However, due to the fact that some of ScummVM developers are interested in SCI development for some time now, we look forward to speeding up the work on the engine.
rivadolmo

FreeSci Version

Post by rivadolmo »

you mean Sci Graphic Studio 1.00 or 1.01?
Collector

Post by Collector »

Free SCI being added to ScummVM is to PLAY SCI games, not MAKE SCI games. You will need to go elsewhere for help making SCI games, You have been given links for the purpose of making SCI games.
MusicallyInspired

Re: FreeSci Version

rivadolmo wrote:you mean Sci Graphic Studio 1.00 or 1.01?
Where did anyone say anything about SCI Graphic Studio?
rivadolmo

Underlaying engine

Post by rivadolmo »

It's clear that we are talking about the engine of freesci that it's used also by some sci tools to develop new adventures.
Which one of these tools may be used to develop a new adventure that may be played with the future release fo ScummVM?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

None, I think.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

zrina7 wrote:Will Leasure Suit Larry 6 be supported?
I assume that was one of the long-term plans for the FreeSCI project. But there's no guarantee that all this will make it happen any faster.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Here's a list of the games which use SCI0, SCI1 and SCI1.1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra%27s ... reter#SCI0

Looks like Gabriel Knight won't be supported afterall. :cry: