Will "Staff of Kings" unlockable be using ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

donarumo72

Will "Staff of Kings" unlockable be using ScummVM?

Post by donarumo72 »

According to this article, the new Indiana Jone and the Staff of Kings game will include an unlockable Fate of Atlantis. So, will this be using the ScummVM engine or some other direct port of Scumm? How technically different could it be?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

We don't know, it hasn't been released yet

My guess is that they're talking about the FOA action game, not the adventure one (since the new Indy is a Tomb Raider lookalike)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:My guess is that they're talking about the FOA action game, not the adventure one (since the new Indy is a Tomb Raider lookalike)
While the new will be more action, I highly doubt they would release FOA Action. I'm fairly sure the action version did horribly on the market.
paul0272

Post by paul0272 »

Was there an action game of Fate of Atlantis? I thought it was Last Crusade that had the two separate games.

Many sites are reporting that it's specifically the point & click adventure game, although they might all be making the same assumption; the official site just says something about "the classic Fate of Atlantis game".

I find this really interesting! The game is scheduled for release on Wii, PS2, DS, and PSP. It doesn't say which versions include FoA. As far as I'm aware none of those platforms have had SCUMM games released on them before. Surely it would make far more sense for LucasArts to have used SCUMMVM, than to have written new SCUMM implementations from scratch.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

paul0272 wrote:Was there an action game of Fate of Atlantis? I thought it was Last Crusade that had the two separate games.
Yes.
paul0272

Post by paul0272 »

Well I've learnt something there. I'd never heard of that game before. It looks truly awful! :D I hope it's not that one that they've included.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

There's also the small chunk from Fate of Atlantis seen in the original trailer for the game (1:04).
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Ugh...I get the feeling that they know they've produced garbage and have thrown Fate of Atlantis in there (which requires very little effort on their part) to try to sweeten the deal and get the nostalgia flowing.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, LucasArts is exclusively producing garbage since they denied the release of any further adventure games.
Bad Asp

Post by Bad Asp »

If this "Fate of Atlantis" is the horrible action game and not the point-and-click game many Lucasarts fans of the past were raised on, I promise I'm going to take immediate action against Lucasarts and put a quick end to their shenanigans once and for all.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Here's an update from Joystiq. Look like it will the Adventure game and only available on the Wii version.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Pure awesome. I'm getting the game just for that....even though I already have ScummVM on the Wii.
chojin

Post by chojin »

Finally a FOA Talkie? Ok probably not ;)

@MusicallyInspired: Maybe you'll have to finish Staff of Kings to unlock FOA.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

What do you mean? There already is a FoA talkie...
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah, probably. But I don't mind.

And yeah, it's already got a talkie. Last Crusade doesn't.