Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gothed23

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge music

Post by Gothed23 »

Hi there. I'm fan of LucasArts adventures since i've got my first PC in 1997, and SCUMMVM - since v.0.6.

I've got one question. There is MI2 soundtrack. Is it possible to add music in MI2? I mean... Is it possible to add music like in SMI (Track1.mp3/ogg, Track2, etc.) If yes, which are proper files names for that. It would be cool to have complete list. I.e.
MI2-CD1/01 - Opening Themes & Introduction.mp3 = track1.mp3
(mp3's are from scummbar.com)

...or maybe there's other way...

Thanks beforehand & sorry for my dirty English ;)

The list from http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/monkey2.php would be better))
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

No. This is not possible because MI2 uses the complex iMuse system to play back music.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Jonatan here is correct. MI2 never had a CD version with digital redbook audio tracks. Just the MIDI (which is arguably better).
Gothed23

Post by Gothed23 »

thanks. i new that. asked just in case... but anyway - thanks
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

I got this version of monkey island 2 which is supposed to have working game music in .ogg-format.
Files are called Monkey_Island_2_-_01_-_Introduction.ogg, Monkey_Island_2_-_02_-_Largo_LaGrande.ogg and so on. Not sure if this is what the first question was about, but thought I'd mention it.

However, I have a problem. I want to run it on a system which does not allow long filenames, so many of the tracks cant be stored. Does anyone know if I can change the names of the .ogg-files to shorter ones, and still have the music work?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bo1e wrote:I got this version of monkey island 2 which is supposed to have working game music in .ogg-format.
Files are called Monkey_Island_2_-_01_-_Introduction.ogg, Monkey_Island_2_-_02_-_Largo_LaGrande.ogg and so on. Not sure if this is what the first question was about, but thought I'd mention it.

However, I have a problem. I want to run it on a system which does not allow long filenames, so many of the tracks cant be stored. Does anyone know if I can change the names of the .ogg-files to shorter ones, and still have the music work?
Actually there is NO Monkey Island 2 version with cd audio. I just guess you did get some sound recordings along together with your MI2 version, thus probably an illegal copy of the game. Forum rule #0 might apply here.
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

Well, lets assume it doesnt. Would be neat to know how the game works with those ogg-files, or does the other 9mb of game data contain all that quality music?
Last edited by bo1e on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bo1e wrote:Well, lets assume it doesnt. Would be neat to know how the game works with those ogg-files.
Simple answer: it doesn't work with those ogg files.
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

So the game including all game music is only 9mb?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

bo1e wrote:So the game including all game music is only 9mb?
Well just count on how many floppies it was sold... Ogg/Vorbis is anyway way too new to be used by an game from 1991. Anyway all this shows probably that you don't have a legit copy of the game, thus you'll receive a warning because of violating forum rule #0.
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Post by Buddha »

bo1e wrote:So the game including all game music is only 9mb?
Yep. And it fits in such a small space because the original MI2's music was in MIDI-format (No samples included in MIDI, only information about which instrument to play at which time position and similar things) and intended to be played back with an external synthesizer like Roland MT-32.

Those OGGs you've got are probably recordings of the MI2's MIDI-files being played back using a Roland MT-32 (or a similar gadget and possibly some further sound processing has been done to them, dunno really).

But like LordHoto said, those OGGs won't work with MI2 because MI2 uses a complex music system (iMuse) that changes the played back music on the fly when playing. It just doesn't translate easily to prerecording the musics to files and playing them back.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

What's up with still helping out illegal copy owner?
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

Only helping me see how silly I was being. The game was on a handfull of floppies, I bought the game a hundred years ago. But thanks for answerig my questios even tho I'm evil enough to download a scummvm-ready version instead of spending weeks to locate the original disks, only to find out that one of them has bad blocks. Warning accepted.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, if you had bothered to read the rules, you would have seen that we really don't care if you are evil or good, young or old or if you already owned a copy. Piracy is still piracy, and being affiliated with piracy can be hurtful to this project.

So if you really care about ScummVM and what it an do for you, you'll refrain from breaking the rules;)

And if you need to spend 'weeks' to find something you own, I suggest getting a smaller house and getting rid of some of that stuff that you obviously do not need.
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

Of course. Most people keep their 20 year old computer games handy at all times. I guess I must be a cook to have those packed away somewhere. But I am sorry for breaking the rules, and I understand the importance of not being affiliated with piracy for a project such as this. I do love scummvm and dosbox and the likes so I'll keep on my best behaviour for the future.