Sierra Adventure Game Classics?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

caenicus

Sierra Adventure Game Classics?

Post by caenicus »

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a program out there like ScummVM that will run old Sierra adventure games, namely Space Quest 6 and Leisure Suit Larry 7? Reason I ask is because I just ordered a new Macbook and would like to run some of these classics in the same manner as ScummVM -- without having to use a virtual desktop environment, original game discs, etc.. I've used a program called DOSbox, but it's rather unstable and requires the game discs. I'd like to think there's a better program out there. If not, has the team behind ScummVM considered possibly implementing these games into their software, or even creating similar program like ScummVM, only for Sierra games? Pardon my ignorance, I'm not even sure if it's possible. Just curious. Thanks!

-Thomas
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

There's a program called FreeSCI that aims to support all classic Sierra SCI engine-driven games but presently it only supports SCI0 games (16 colour games with mouse & sound card support and a parser interface) and SOME SCI1 games (SQ1VGA, PQ3, and other P&C games with black and white cursours, but they don't run near perfectly yet).

ScummVM doesn't have any plans to start supporting SCI games at least until FreeSCI does properly and then perhaps a merge could happen. But I'm not an official spokesperson. I'm just going by what I've learned so far.

(and yes it's been asked before)
Collector

Post by Collector »

DOSBox is by far your best solution. If your previous experiences with DOSBox was an older version of DOSBox on a PPC, try at least .72 on your new Intel Mac. If you have any problems, get help on the official DOSBox forums on VOGONS. There are several Mac users there happily using DOSBox.
caenicus

Post by caenicus »

Thanks guys, I'll check them out. I also found a program called Boxer, which is a DOSbox-based emulator for OS X that allows you to package your game discs and play without the CD. Any of you familiar with this one?

UPDATE: Just ran both Space Quest 6 and Leisure Suit Larry 7 in Boxer. So far they both seem to be running beautifully. If you have a Mac, I highly suggest giving it a whirl.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Boxer's a nifty application that makes dosbox relatively seemless. It'll never outperform ScummVM, but for those games you can't live without, it's a life-saver :)