Loading problem with Simon 2

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's GP2X, GP2X Wiz and Caanoo ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Guille64

Loading problem with Simon 2

Post by Guille64 »

Hello,
I have a problem with Simon 2:
I save in the Simon 2 folder all the necessary files listed in the Data section and when I`m trying to launch the game I receive an error message in my GP2X. Anyone experienced the same problem?

Thank you.

Regards,

Guillermo.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Re: Loading problem with Simon 2

Post by DJWillis »

Care to tell us what the error message is?

Can the launcher find the game? What version of ScummVM are you using? etc. etc.
Guille64

Post by Guille64 »

I have not the GP2X with me at this moment, but the message say that the game is recognized, but in the fourth or fifth line, it says something like this: "error can`t ... (and a number)"
The version is 12.0.
I will try to find another copy of the game.

Thanks
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Guille64 wrote:I have not the GP2X with me at this moment, but the message say that the game is recognized, but in the fourth or fifth line, it says something like this: "error can`t ... (and a number)"
The version is 12.0.
I will try to find another copy of the game.
If it does not find the game I would suggest your data files are bad.

Try grabbing them from your CD or disks again. Also try testing the files with the PC version of ScummVM
Guille64

Post by Guille64 »

When I tried to run Simon2 on the PC port, the program crashes to windows without an error message.

Regards
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Guille64 wrote:When I tried to run Simon2 on the PC port, the program crashes to windows without an error message.
I would re-copy your data files them. It looks like the problem is with your data not with ScummVM ;).
Guille64

Post by Guille64 »

I tested with the CD version that comes with the simon2.voc file full and the result is the same, exactly on my PC windows and GP2X. If there is someone who run the program in the GP2X, maybe he could list me the necessary files to check.

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Guillermo.
Guille64

Post by Guille64 »

I had problems in the past with Simon2 on a DOS system, and adding the problems with ScummVM, I have to say that the program is very difficult to run well.
But, if there is someone who tested it in his GP2X, and had good results, please, let me know wich archives use in the Simon2 folder.

Thank you,

Regards,

Guillermo.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Why do you believe that the problem is with ScummVM, and not with your copy of the game? Is your game CD scratched or damaged? Have you tried recopying the game's files again from its original CD?

Also, have you copied all the necessary game files from the game's CD, as mentioned in our relevant wiki page here?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... e_Wardrobe
Guille64

Post by Guille64 »

I am afraid that the problem is because someway is a very special and trouble game.
I have the CD without scratches or something, the files are exactly the ones described in ScummVM page, but, as I wrote, years ago I had problems running it with a DOS pure machine. At that time the problems were related to activating voices or not. The program run well one of ten tries. Anyway I find several copies from abandonware sites to try, mostly the floppy version and the problem keep staying. All the copies are spanish version.
I do not think the problem is the ScummVM, maybe someone could tell me your own experienced with the game.

Thank you,

Regards,

Guillermo.