The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kastor

Post by Kastor »

Damn I shpuldn't celebrate too early, now it crashes two cutscenes later. The video that was suppoesed to be shown is named outmin~1 in my version. It appears that that is the correct filename, but why does the game crash as if it wasn't finding it?
I have now tried several names that could replace the ~1 at the end: outministery, outmin, outminis, outmin1 but none of these stopped the game from crashing.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kastor wrote: I have now tried several names that could replace the ~1 at the end: outministery, outmin, outminis, outmin1 but none of these stopped the game from crashing.
Mine's called outmin~1.dxa and outmin~1.ogg. (I haven't tried if Smacker works yet.) Replacing the ~1 with anything else almost certainly won't work. I noticed that the development version no longer prints an error message if it fails to find the cutscene file, so I added one a few hours ago. (That won't keep it from crashing, but at least it gets a few last words, which might help diagnosing the problem.)
Kastor

Post by Kastor »

thanx, about the smks, I'm sure they work because all the three intro sequences before this one are working. About the SVN version: there is no error message, the game just crashes. Maybe that means that it's not a matter of a missing cutscene?
P.S.: Mine's also called outmin~1.smk

€: ran another test: I renamed another intro smk, so I could trigger an error. None came. Could you maybe double-check the code on that development version?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kastor wrote: €: ran another test: I renamed another intro smk, so I could trigger an error. None came. Could you maybe double-check the code on that development version?
I renamed my fasall.dxa, and when ScummVM got that far into the intro, a "Cutscene file 'fasall' not found" message popped up. But, as I said, I made this change just a few hours ago, so if you downloaded the daily Windows snapshot, I wouldn't expect the change to be in there yet.
Kastor

Post by Kastor »

I renamed MUSOSP1.smk. No message popped up. I downloaded the dayly snapshot version right after I read you post. The date said December 31, 2008, 12:45 am. Since I assume that's the American time (it's 10:38pm here), that should be your version. But I'll check tomorrows one out.

€: thanx now its the right version and I get: cutscene OutMin not found. I renamed the file but when I do it says OutMin~1 not found... -.- I copied the file so I have both OutMin and OutMin~1. Now it works, I'll call when the next error occurs. Thx, eriktorbjorn.

€2: Ok I'm in the room with the TV again and it says "Cutscene File: 'Charisma' not found". And it's right. I've copied all .smk files form all cds, but this one is not there. I've tried Naming an empty file Charisma.smk, I've tried copying an existing one and naming it charisma.smk, but none of that helped. Can anyone help me?

€3: Problem Solved. I ran the installer again, and all the TV show .smks appeared. Why weren't they installed the first time?
absolutelynot

"Get Car" error

Post by absolutelynot »

Hi, all.

I've been playing up to the magnet without any trouble and suddenly I'm stymied. I get an error message "failed to load movie Get Car" and ScummVM crashes to the desk top. I've looked at the files and they're all dxa, and I can't find one called anything like Get Car.

Help?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: "Get Car" error

Post by Raziel »

absolutelynot wrote:Hi, all.

I've been playing up to the magnet without any trouble and suddenly I'm stymied. I get an error message "failed to load movie Get Car" and ScummVM crashes to the desk top. I've looked at the files and they're all dxa, and I can't find one called anything like Get Car.

Help?
You supposedly used the batch file from the forums to convert the smks to dxa?

Get Car.smk is not covered by those due to the SPACE inbetween, you need to rename the file to GetCar.smk before you do the conversion and re-rename it (and the according .dxa and .mp3 files) to Get Car again to make it work. Of course you could do the conversion of this single file by hand aswell
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

SMK support

Post by Raziel »

How "mature" is the smk support in FeebleFiles?

I cannot play the game with smks yet, because i have MASSIVE pauses due to frame dropping and MASSIVE pauses between those.

WHEN the smks run, they run smoothly though, dunno whats the problem, missing cache, maybe?

Any hints or information appreciated
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: SMK support

Post by md5 »

Raziel wrote:How "mature" is the smk support in FeebleFiles?

I cannot play the game with smks yet, because i have MASSIVE pauses due to frame dropping and MASSIVE pauses between those.

WHEN the smks run, they run smoothly though, dunno whats the problem, missing cache, maybe?

Strange

When a Smacker video loads, some Huffman trees are constructed. Perhaps that's the bit where it takes awhile to load... How long do these pauses last?
Kastor

Post by Kastor »

I had that problem once, too. Sometimes (though npt very often) the video just plays VERY slow (like one frame/3seconds), but in most cases it works fine. I've played up until cd3 and the arcade and I only had that problem once.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kastor wrote:I had that problem once, too. Sometimes (though npt very often) the video just plays VERY slow (like one frame/3seconds), but in most cases it works fine. I've played up until cd3 and the arcade and I only had that problem once.
That's almost the kind of behaviour I'd expect if the cutscene player thought the video was lagging behind the audio, and started dropping frames.

But even when it does that, it will force some frames to be drawn anyway, so that the movie doesn't seem to halt completely. That could be what you're seeing, but I thought that would cause it to draw a frame every second, not every third second.

Then again, I'm not familiar with the Smacker player.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

md5 wrote:
Raziel wrote:How "mature" is the smk support in FeebleFiles?

Strange

When a Smacker video loads, some Huffman trees are constructed. Perhaps that's the bit where it takes awhile to load... How long do these pauses last?
It doesn't happen when the video loads.
Its starts up fine, but after different amounts of time it just halts, staying on the same frame for about 10-20 seconds (haven't measured) and then brings up some 100-120 lines in the console window telling me frames have been dropped.
Then it displays the next (only a single) frame and starts all over with the pause and frame droppings.
Unbearable i'm afraid

ScummVM 0.13svn AmigaOS4 SDL build
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Meh, I probably did something wrong/non-portable with the lag detection, then. Does it happen with all SMKs for you?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

DrMcCoy wrote:Meh, I probably did something wrong/non-portable with the lag detection, then. Does it happen with all SMKs for you?
I can get it to happen on the first one, if I shake the ScummVM window vigorously. At least on my system, this uses up enough CPU to make the video lag behind the audio.

The problem seems to be either in SMKPlayer::getFrameDelay(), or in MoviePlayerSMK::processFrame(). If it starts lagging, getAudioLag() returns a negative value. This causes the processFrame() function to use _ticks to sync the frames. Which is odd, because this is what it should be doing if the sound has ended, or if there is no sound at all.

It uses getFrameDelay() to find how long each frame is. This function returns 10000 for the movies I've tried it with, i.e. 10 seconds.

It's too late at night here to look any further.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

DrMcCoy wrote:Meh, I probably did something wrong/non-portable with the lag detection, then. Does it happen with all SMKs for you?
Yes, with all SMKs i tried (FeebleFiles only though)
Is there any other game with SMKs that is already supported by ScummVM?