Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Franklinsteiner

Post by Franklinsteiner »

wait, on dw2 when i clcik on certain objects there is only words saying NULL STRINg or something! The opening video worked fine enough though. Most of the text says that in fact and some of the sounds dont work..
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Franklinsteiner wrote:wait, on dw2 when i clcik on certain objects there is only words saying NULL STRINg or something! The opening video worked fine enough though. Most of the text says that in fact and some of the sounds dont work..
Then you're missing your english1.txt (or respective file for your language version), or your version isn't correctly detected.
Did you properly copy the english.txt, english.idx and english.smp from your first CD and renamed them to english1.idx, english1.idx and english1.smp (ditto with the second CD and english2)?
Franklinsteiner

DrMcCoy wrote:
Franklinsteiner wrote:wait, on dw2 when i clcik on certain objects there is only words saying NULL STRINg or something! The opening video worked fine enough though. Most of the text says that in fact and some of the sounds dont work..
Then you're missing your english1.txt (or respective file for your language version), or your version isn't correctly detected.
Did you properly copy the english.txt, english.idx and english.smp from your first CD and renamed them to english1.idx, english1.idx and english1.smp (ditto with the second CD and english2)?
i am sure i did that correctly, but I'll try again just in case I made a mistake; this is usually the case with me
Franklinsteiner

Yes, it worked1 It was just me being stupid! Cheers!
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

md5 wrote:
Kisdra wrote:Yup, I just downloaded the last build, and I can now put back volumes to 256. Thanks !

There is just something I've noticed with both DW games, it's concerning the subtitles. When there's a dialog in the game, the voices are perfect, but the subtitles are not synchronized as they should, they remain a few seconds on screen after the end of the voice sentence. I tried to change the subs speed in the games menus, but that didn't change anything.
Try setting the subtitle speed to the LOWEST setting (low = fast subtitles, high = slow subtitles). This is opposite to what the player would expect, and it was the same in the original game afaik :( . We might need to swap that so that it'll be more sensible
Thanks again, all is just perfect now !
fac

Post by fac »

I have the second demo, asked in Dreammaster's disassembly blog. Since Tinsel is also worked by other developers, i decided to answer here in the forum.

Here is the link to this demo: http://w13.easy-share.com/1702867492.html
The file is a iso image compressed in rar.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

fac wrote:I have the second demo, asked in Dreammaster's disassembly blog. Since Tinsel is also worked by other developers, i decided to answer here in the forum.
Thanks for providing a copy of the demo. Detection for it has already been added into the SVN, and I've had a brief play with it. It seems that other than a few warnings about unknown MIDI offsets, the demo runs fine. Excellent.
Hansi

Post by Hansi »

I just built from daily build 20081222 for Mac, when I try to add the Discworld 1 demo it doesn't identify:

Code: Select all

Your game version appears to be unknown. Please, report the following
data to the ScummVM team along with name of the game you tried to add
and its version/language/etc.:
  "dw.gra", "ef5a2518c9e205f786f5a4526396e661", 781676
  "english.smp", "c595e906cb4bf308d2e80ecf3fd1f4f1", 51889165
And when I add DW2 it identifies as Tucker Demo and crashes:

Code: Select all

User picked target 'tucker-demo' (gameid 'tucker')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Tucker Engine
  Starting 'Bud Tucker in Double Trouble'
WARNING: Unable to open flc animation file 'graphics/allseg02.flc'!
Assertion failed: (_handle), function read, file common/file.cpp, line 167.
Abort trap
Any ideas? Should I get the files directly from the SVN and not the daily build sources?

Here is the crash log:
http://hansr.net/scummvm_2008-12-23-015009_Hansi.log

and build:
http://hansr.net/temp/ScummVM-snapshot-20081222.dmg
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

You could TRY to get the latest build and see how it works out for you.
Hansi

Post by Hansi »

Jonatan wrote:You could TRY to get the latest build and see how it works out for you.
Just tried from SVN, rev 35491, works now. Here is a copy if anyone wants a binary to test:

http://hansr.net/temp/ScummVM-snapshot-SVN-rev35491.dmg
xcd

Post by xcd »

Has anyone Discworld 2 German Version working? I downloaded the latest SVN build. Discworld 1 works fine. I copied the DW2 folders from both CDs into 1 folder on my hdd, and ScummVM doesn't recognize the game at all?

Anyone had the same problem?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

xcd wrote:Has anyone Discworld 2 German Version working? I downloaded the latest SVN build. Discworld 1 works fine. I copied the DW2 folders from both CDs into 1 folder on my hdd, and ScummVM doesn't recognize the game at all?

Anyone had the same problem?
You need to copy german.txt/.smp/.idx from both CDs and name them german1.txt/.smp/.idx and german2.txt/.smp/.idx respectively
fraludio

Post by fraludio »

fraludio wrote:Can anyone make a mac binary of the latest svn?

Thanks.
I qoute myself. I would really appreciate if someone could make a mac binary that supports Discworld.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

One was posted here two weeks ago.
wec

Post by wec »

bobablob wrote:One was posted here two weeks ago.
That build was only for Intel Macs. I would also appreciate if someone could make a working Universal Binary (or PPC) build.