Urban runner : french version

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

I know that it was at least also relased in Germany, as I have the German version of it.

But I think the whole thing was a French production ...
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

gamin wrote:is it a caching problem with Windows XP or a NTFS problem, I don't know, but this solution is working good.
Very strange.
But at least nothing in my code is wrong :P
Red_Breast wrote:So I'm wondering where it was released exactly
There is an US release, with full English voice.
Red_Breast wrote:If the French version has any English options
I doubt that. Your best bet would be the US release.
Red_Breast wrote:Interesting, I previewed my post to check the link and noticed as it's loading for the release date it says "December 31st 1996" but once the page is fully loaded it changes to "Unreleased (UK)" Strange
Yeah, it's using JavaScript to change the date. I really don't want to know what the people responsible for that smoked... o_O
gamin

Post by gamin »

DrMcCoy wrote:Very strange.
But at least nothing in my code is wrong :P
hope my "adventures" with that problem will help someone one day... and I've never doubt about your code :wink:

anyway, thanks for the help you provided to me and let me wish you a very happy X-mas.
Red_Breast wrote:If the French version has any English options
not at all. the version I'm talking about (original CD released in 1995 in Belgium) is french only. there are no english options available anywhere.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for confirming that Gamin.

I've had a look at various Ebays. There are a few about in Germany, France, USA, Canada, Italy and Netherlands.
Strange it had no UK release.
gamin

Post by gamin »

me again... the problem is back, but now I'm quite sure I've found where the problem comes from. forget about the NTFS or FAT32 filesystem, it's completely different. I donwloaded latest build (12/25/2008 12:45pm), and installed it. then I directly started Urban Runner, and crash/exit again from GUI. from command line, no problem. when I posted kind of a solution on december 23rd, I was at my job, testing and trying on my laptop. now, I'm back home on my desktop and the problem is back, even with "oldest supposed to work" builds. I just tried latest build on my laptop, and it's working directly, from GUI. now, what's the difference ? on my laptop (core duo T2500), I'm running XP Pro SP3 32bits. on my desktop (core 2 duo E8500), I'm running XP Pro SP2 64bits. I tried to boot XP Pro SP3 32bits on my desktop, and everything is running fine directly. so the problem is only a 32/64bits compatibility problem, I'm pretty sure about it now. unfortunately, I don't have any 64bits developper environment to compile from sources and try a "real" 64bits version of ScummVM to confirm what I suspect. even if I don't know if this will solve the problem.

for now, I'll avoid XP Pro x64 to test... :D
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Strange, because I'm running a 64bit GNU/Linux on my desktop and it's working without problems (no matter if the binary is 32bit or 64bit)...
gamin

Post by gamin »

since my last post, I tried different operating systems (Vista64, Vista32, Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64). the problem is only happening under XP x64. I think we can definately remove the ScummVM problem and start investigating in a "gamin problem" :lol: (or should I say with my configuration)...

by the way, I found my "Last Dynasty" CD and directly tried them under ScummVM. it was detected as Last Dynasty US version... :( I extracted the md5 checksum of intro.stk, and it's exactly the same as the one provided in detection.cpp. I was sure I own the french version, but unfortunately not, I'm sorry for that. I'll see what I can do if a friend of mine own the original french version (question is : was a french version ever released ? I found my original box, with CD and manual... manual is in french, CD label is printed in french, but game is full english, without french subtitles).
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

gamin wrote:since my last post, I tried different operating systems (Vista64, Vista32, Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64). the problem is only happening under XP x64. I think we can definately remove the ScummVM problem and start investigating in a "gamin problem" :lol: (or should I say with my configuration)...
Strange. Knowing nothing of XP (I've converted to GNU/Linux in 2000, with Win98SE being the Windows I really used), I can't help you there, I'm afraid.
gamin wrote:by the way, I found my "Last Dynasty" CD and directly tried them under ScummVM. it was detected as Last Dynasty US version... :( I extracted the md5 checksum of intro.stk, and it's exactly the same as the one provided in detection.cpp.
Ah, the version I have is USA/FR bilingual (though ScummVM doesn't care for that yet, apparently. Probably similar to the language bug in Inca II).
Could you check which MD5 entry yours is and if you've got a "cd2fra.itk" (on the second CD)?
gamin

Post by gamin »

sure ! :D

intro.stk md5 is "61e4069c16e27775a6cc6d20f529fb36" file size is 2511300.

and yes, I've found a cd2fra.itk on the second CD.

I've just checked the latest trunk, and seen you've already added the right entries for this version, right ? shall I just recompile from trunk and will I be able to play already ? or is it a very early stage of development ? I'm just asking, I'm not in a hurry. I have other games waiting. (who said Vampyre Story ?)

something different I have in mind : will Inca (the first one) be ever added ? I just don't understand why it is Inca II that comes first. or maybe it's a completely different engine ?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

gamin wrote:I've just checked the latest trunk, and seen you've already added the right entries for this version, right ?
Yup.
gamin wrote:shall I just recompile from trunk and will I be able to play already ?
Well, you'll be able to watch a few video. Still in English though, since they changed something about the language detection in the engine.

Not much you can do there yet, since the space shooter sequences are quite hard-coded and I don't want to jump in there just yet, especially when Urban Runner looks far more interesting. :)
gamin wrote:something different I have in mind : will Inca (the first one) be ever added ? I just don't understand why it is Inca II that comes first. or maybe it's a completely different engine ?
Yup, Inca I doesn't use the Gob engine. I don't even think it is a "proper" engine at all, since it looks like there's one EXE for each part, i.e I think it's completely hard-coded.
gamin

Post by gamin »

thanks a lot for all your complete answers, as usual ;)