"Welcome to my... house"

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

"Welcome to my... house"

Post by sev »

Henry Stauf cordially invites you to come and sample the delights of his house in the newest game to be supported by ScummVM, The 7th Guest. A delightful evening is guaranteed to be had by you and the other guests.

You will need a copy of the game (DOS and Windows versions only, for now), and a newly-downloaded daily build of ScummVM. And, of course, your wits about you.

Please report any unwanted annoyances (i.e. bugs) to the ScummVM bug tracker. If you find any particularly beautiful sights while you're there, be sure to submit them as screenshots.

P.S. There are some slight complications involved in copying the game to the hard drive, due to there being audio tracks on both CDs. The information on how to get round this is on the 7th Guest wiki page, as well as a few known issues, so be sure to read it fully.
clem

Post by clem »

Yay!
mredfield

Post by mredfield »

Great, great news! :)
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

I compiled a build for the Mac the other night. Seventh Guest works great. Thanks a lot, everyone!
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Cool! I still have my copy around here somewhere. I remember playing it on my old Packard Bell back in the early 90s and it was like 'Holy crap! the future is here!' etc...
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

Great! Thanks a lot! As always!

Just one question: Will there be the possibility to compress some of the game files with scummvm-tools? :?:
horror

Post by horror »

great! gonna test when i manage to rip the audio from my cd..
for some reason i get errors when trying to rip the track1
raina

Post by raina »

horror wrote:for some reason i get errors when trying to rip the track1
I succeeded by using the CDex drive settings autodetection, picking one alternative from the huge list and ripping in full paranoia mode.
horror

Post by horror »

thanks. i will try this, had no luck myself yet..

Edit: seem i don't need to rip any audio in my version...
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

Cyphox wrote:Just one question: Will there be the possibility to compress some of the game files with scummvm-tools? :?:
I guess it could be done, but it's low priority, maybe not even worth the effort. The game is mainly composed of videos, and it uses an already compressed format (VDX), which looks quite efficient. I think using DXA, for example, would give you bigger videos than the original. Have a look at this thread about gob3/woodruff compression to get an idea of a similar situation.
horror wrote:seem i don't need to rip any audio in my version...
Is it the windows release? Does the second CD contain any audio tracks? Can you hear something while the 7th Guest title is shown in the intro? (maybe this version uses MIDI music for the intro)
deadpan

Post by deadpan »

bobablob wrote:I compiled a build for the Mac the other night. Seventh Guest works great. Thanks a lot, everyone!
Would it be possible to update the OS X Subversion build linked in the download section? The last one there is over three months old.
Scarecrow76

Later versions of Groovie

Post by Scarecrow76 »

Does (or "Will") SCUMMVM support Cladestiny or TLC? I can not seem to get this new SCUMMVM to see Clandestiny.
clem

Re: Later versions of Groovie

Post by clem »

Scarecrow76 wrote:Does (or "Will") SCUMMVM support Cladestiny or TLC? I can not seem to get this new SCUMMVM to see Clandestiny.
ScummVM currently only supports t7g out of the groovie games.
I think TLC uses high-color graphics, probably Clandestiny too, and ScummVM currently can't cope with anything with more than 256 colors, so these games won't work anytime soon.

For status of the groovie engine in ScummVM, see here.
clone2727
Retired

Re: Later versions of Groovie

Post by clone2727 »

Scarecrow76 wrote:I can not seem to get this new SCUMMVM to see Clandestiny.
The detection for those games is also disabled currently.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Cool, I was even thinking about it a while back, and now it is in there.. hehe...
With this succesfully incorporated, will there also be support in the future for '11th hour'?
anyway, big thanx for supporting another game...