Urban runner : french version

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gamin

Urban runner : french version

Post by gamin »

when trying to add french version of Urban Runner with latest SVN build (December 13, 2008, 12:17 pm), it is detected as "Gobliins 2 (unknown/DOS)".

Your game version appears to be unknown. Please, report the following
data to the ScummVM team along with name of the game you tried to add
and its version/language/etc.:
"intro.stk", "b991ed1d31c793e560edefdb349882ef", 1276408

adding the right information in gob/detection.cpp worked and intro is finally playing with french voices.
Last edited by gamin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Added it, thanks. :)
gamin

Post by gamin »

no prob :wink: glad to help
gamin

Post by gamin »

a problem appeared with SVN build 12/21/2008 6:05am : unable to launch french version anymore. here's the output of ScummVM :

Code: Select all

User picked target 'urban-fr' (gameid 'gob')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Gob Engine
  Starting 'Gob engine game'
WARNING: File "FENETRE.TXT" not found!
WARNING: File "MUSIC.TXT" not found!
I don't have those 2 files (FENETRE.TXT and MUSIC.TXT). I only have ITK, STK and ASK files in my Urban Runner folder. I tried to extract files from STK with latest god_extract.exe tool, but I always get a bad EOF... any ideas ? it was working with previous SVN.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

gamin wrote:WARNING: File "FENETRE.TXT" not found!
WARNING: File "MUSIC.TXT" not found!
That's normal. The scripts only check for the existance of these files to active some debug stuff...
gamin wrote:I tried to extract files from STK with latest god_extract.exe tool, but I always get a bad EOF...
Nothing was changed recently in this file. If it doesn't work, there must be something wrong with your data files. Sorry.
Did you copy/move your game files perchance? Maybe something there didn't run through as expected.
gamin wrote:it was working with previous SVN.
Strange...
gamin

Post by gamin »

well, just deleted the files from my Urban Runner folder, and replaced them with fresh copies directly from my 4 CD, but error is the same. getting the message building/loading palette table, then exit with the same message ???

EDIT: rebuild old sources I have (Trunk tree 12/13/2008, just before you add the info for french version) and it's working with that version. don't know how I can help but let me know.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Hmm, could you run ScummVM with

-d5 --debugflags=DrawOpcodes,FuncOpcodes
and give me the output?
gamin

Post by gamin »

uh oh ??? the output is quite big... are you sure I have to post it in here ?

as a matter of fact, I tried to run the game from the command line

scummvm.exe -c scummvm.ini urban-fr
scummvm.exe and scummvm.ini are in the same directory and scummvm.ini contains right informations for the game : that way, it's working no problem. if I start the GUI then select Urban Runner, then start the game, it exits with the message I posted before... should be something wrong on my side, but I don't understand what I did wrong as I didn't change anything :( and it's working with the old sources I recompiled earlier today. not sure it's a problem with the gob engine itself. maybe something else changed somewhere else in the code ?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Hmm, could it be that ScummVM is finding a different scummvm.ini (in one of the standard directories) when not run with "-c scummvm.ini" on the command line?
gamin

Post by gamin »

definately no ! the only scummvm.ini I have on my machine is the one in the same directory as scummvm.exe (just did a full drives search for scummvm.ini, even inside hidden and system folders). I'm using my ScummVM stuff for years on a separate USB HDD with everything decompressed, installed, etc on that drive. to be sure I'm using the right scummvm.ini file, I've created a batch file (simply named go.bat) which contains just one line, "scummvm.exe -c scummvm.ini". each path in that config file is build the same way ("path=.\games\urban" for example) and so on to be sure every game will run whatever the HDD drive letter is and also to get a real portable solution to convert people to that wonderful piece of software. except Urban Runner, every game is starting in that way with latest build.

I tried a normal installation of that latest SVN build (scummvm.exe in c:\program files\ScummVM, start GUI, scummvm.ini automatically created in %username%\Application Data\ScummVM, then manually pointed to the directory on my C: drive containing a full copy of Urban Runner files, path=c:\urban inside the config file) and problem is the same : game won't load from GUI but work fine from command line... if I replace scummvm.exe with the one I build myself from my old sources (dated 12/13/2008), it's working from the GUI... I tried another SVN game that way (7th guest) and it's working fine directly from the GUI. now I'm lost :( but I'm quite sure problem is not on my side (Urban Runner is the only game that exits directly without starting when launched from GUI, but which starts no problem from command line. I insist every other games start both ways.)

could it be a specific problem of french version ? I don't have any other version of Urban Runner to test unfortunately.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Since it does work from the command line, I don't think that's an issue with the Gob engine (which doesn't "see" how it was started in the first place).

Maybe I'll see something in the debug output. Since it's, as you said, quite long, please put it in one of these pastebins...
gamin

Post by gamin »

hmmm, seems too big to be uploaded there. nevermind, here's a working link to the output in txt format : http://users.skynet.be/keyser.soze/urban-fr.txt (output from build 12/21/2008 6:05am)

command used to get this output is :

scummvm.exe -c scummvm.ini -d5 --debugflags=DrawOpcodes,FuncOpcodes urban-fr >urban-fr.txt
now, I just replaced my SVN version with latest (12/23/2008 9:36am) and guess what ? it's working directly from the GUI (and of course also from command line). I insist : I just replaced all of the files included in the subversion install package, nothing else. I didn't modified anything in the scumvm.ini file or in the game files. something must have been changed in scummvm code since build 12/21/2008 6:05am. don't know what was wrong, but it's working again now.

something completely different : I know I have a french vesion of The Last Dynasty somewhere (bought so many years ago), but I can't find where I put those damned CD... as soon as I have them in my hand, I'll post checksum info if needed.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

gamin wrote:http://users.skynet.be/keyser.soze/urban-fr.txt (output from build 12/21/2008 6:05am)
That looks completely normal...
gamin wrote:now, I just replaced my SVN version with latest (12/23/2008 9:36am) and guess what ? it's working directly from the GUI (and of course also from command line). I insist : I just replaced all of the files included in the subversion install package, nothing else. I didn't modified anything in the scumvm.ini file or in the game files.
Strange...
gamin wrote:something must have been changed in scummvm code since build 12/21/2008 6:05am.
Nothing that should cause/squish your bug... o_O
gamin wrote:I know I have a french vesion of The Last Dynasty somewhere (bought so many years ago), but I can't find where I put those damned CD... as soon as I have them in my hand, I'll post checksum info if needed.
Would be appreciated :)
gamin

Post by gamin »

maybe I've found an explanation, and it's not a ScummVM problem (I was sure I was doing something wrong, but didn't find what) : as I said, my ScummVM collection is on an external USB HDD with paths configured with syntax like "path=.\blabla\blabla\". this HDD is formatted with filesystem NTFS. when I replace ScummVM files with those from a new subversion build, I have to do it in a specific way :

1. delete the old files
2. disconnect the external HDD
3. reconnect the external HDD
4. copy the new files

if I don't do it that way (disconnect/reconnect) and just replace the files, they keep their old meta informations (internal info I mean, like build, date, etc...) and the game is exiting without starting, but the size of the file shows it's the latest. I just tried on another external HDD FAT32 formatted, and it's working no problem even with build 12/21/2008. now, is it a caching problem with Windows XP or a NTFS problem, I don't know, but this solution is working good.

sorry for the trouble :oops:

I'll keep looking for my Last Dynasty CD to make me forgiven :D
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Hope you don't mind if I butt in with a question or two.

I haven't heard of this game before so I checked the Wikipedia entry and ended up at IGN.
I guess depending where you are in the world you get a localised IGN as the page I got is for the UK.
http://uk.pc.ign.com/objects/008/008698.html
I don't know much about the way the web works so I don't know if you can access that page from anywhere in the world but it says the game was unreleased in the UK.
So I'm wondering where it was released exactly. Does the French version you guys are talking about have any English voice or subtitles/text options.
I usually get my 2nd hand games from EBay but I've been checking the UK Ebay for the last 2 weeks and haven't seen this game up for sale. Any suggestions? If the French version has any English options maybe I should check EBay France.

Interesting, I previewed my post to check the link and noticed as it's loading for the release date it says "December 31st 1996" but once the page is fully loaded it changes to "Unreleased (UK)" Strange.