after Scumm, games not made by Lucasarts and revolution etc

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

superfighter

after Scumm, games not made by Lucasarts and revolution etc

Post by superfighter »

Was just wondering since were obviously all adventure game fans what everybodys favourite "new" point and clickers were, ie the syberias the forgotten journeys, and so on
Cyphox

Re: after Scumm, games not made by Lucasarts and revolution

Post by Cyphox »

superfighter wrote:Was just wondering, since we're obviously all adventure game fans, what everybody's favourite "new" point and clickers were, i.e. the syberias, the forgotten journeys, and so on
i had to read your post three times until i understood it's meaning. :P

well, one of my favourite "new" adventures is "dreamfall: the longest journey. i LOVE IT!

"The Moment of silence" was real good... Mmmh... omg, i already forgot "Fahrenheit" (Indigo Prophecy), DAMN, what a great adventure!!!

"Secret Files: Tunguska" was good, too...

and of course... Runaway 1+2
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Please not drink too much before writing forum posts if that makes you write too bad English. The post is even more funny, as the poster is from England :)
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

Well just recently I finished A Vampyre Story. Probably the closest thing anyone ever got to Monkey Island (but that's of course no wonder given Bill Tiller is the maker of AVS and large parts of MI).

Then I enjoyed Runaway because it was different. Not a really great game but enjoyable.

Also Secret Files: Tunguska was pretty nice.

And if you like 3D then take a look at the Ankh series. There are three games so far. They're all not amazing but they have some funny scenes.
Rasi

Post by Rasi »

If you can read/speak german, i highly recommend "Edna bricht aus"
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

for your information i was perfectly sober when posting that, and if you cant read that post, then may i suggest you get some good reading glasses :wink:
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

superfighter wrote:for your information i was perfectly sober when posting that, and if you cant read that post, then may i suggest you get some good reading glasses :wink:
I also needed to read it twice before realizing it was a question. I think the main issues are with the first 'were' (should be we are or we're) and the lack of a question mark at the end.

And to answer your question, I recently finished the first Ankh and I quite liked it. It was the first adventure game I played for some time, the previous one being The Last Express. I liked it a lot but I am not sure it qualifies as a "new" point and click game :)
A Vampyre Story looks good, I will probably try that next, or maybe the second Ankh...
maximus

Post by maximus »

I'd have to say 'The Longest Journey' for me. Haven't gotten into an adventure game like that (other than via ScummVM :P) in a loooooooong time.
Rasi

Post by Rasi »

The english version of Gilbert Goodmate was pretty good
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

For me it's BS2.5 if we're talking about new adventures. I'd like to see trivial ScummVM support for when my Linux box arrives.
Exoskeletor

Post by Exoskeletor »

guys i have play most of the games that you suggest but recently i finish a new game that i find it amazing (although the critics don't)
It's the OutCry, you must check it out
Retrog33k

Post by Retrog33k »

It's not a point and click adventure, but so what? It's made by the same guy who made the first two monkey island games, Tim. Psychonauts. That game actually made me queasy in some areas.

I can't wait for Full Throttle 2....err.. I mean Brutal Legend :D
raina

Post by raina »

Gotta agree, Psychonauts was a great game. My only complaint is that after beating it, the final boss won't stay down if you want to continue collecting all the stuff and secrets. No way to save AFTER the final fight. Played it on Windows with an Xbox 360 controller, and just picked it up for PS2 as a Christmas present for my sister.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

My favorite non-free games are:
The Moment of Silence is my favorite. Great Story line. I just couldn't stop playing it until I I was finished. Dreamfall is a close second. Scratches, The Deleware St. John series, Blackwell Legacy and Unbound, Overclocked, Still Life, and lastly the Sam and Max series. They're giving the episode 4 of season 1 away for free if you want to try it. There's probably more good games in the retail area, but I tend to stay with fan games.
As for free fan games some of my favorites are The 5 days a Stranger and it's 4 sequels, Ben Jordan series, Damsel, Chivalry's not dead, Prodigal, Murder in a wheel, Reactor 09, Emily Enough, Charlie Foxtrot, Jessica Plunkenstein, Nelly Cootalot, Nathan's Second chance, Penumbra, Enclosure, White Chamber, Zelda Classic (and it's tons of quests!). There's also lots of good remakes and fan sequels KQ1,2,3, SQ0,X, QFG2, MM, BS 2.5, LSL2. Zak McKracken: Time and Space looks good but it's German only. There's just so many good games out there to play!
Exoskeletor

Post by Exoskeletor »

a lot of german remakes, i wonder why