Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gamin

Post by gamin »

WOW !!! fast !!! I know you may say it's stupid, but I'm a little proud of this : I did something to help ScummVM, even if it's something really simple and just a drop in the ocean... :D
Kodmin

Post by Kodmin »

Since this is already here, I thought I'd use it to report an... issue, with both the readme and the game itself.

OK, I've got the SVN from 12/3/08, and I've got both discs worth of Discworld 2-ey goodness copied onto my HD. Now, I couldn't find ENGLISH. etcetera, but I DID find US. etcetera, so I changed those. Now, when I got into SCUMMVM and try to add the game to my list, no matter which CD I use for the executable it comes up as
"Bud Tucker in Double Trouble (Demo/DOS/Engish)"
and the ID is
"tucker-demo"
And trying to just run it causes an insta-crash. I've never actually had a problem with SVN builds before, so I have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. I've tried manually entering the information into the .ini, but that just gives me an error saying
"WARNING: Tinsel engine failed to instantiate engine: Unable to locate game data (target 'dw2', path 'C:\Discworld 2\1\')

Now, obviously something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
manias

Post by manias »

awesome that discworld 2 is added!!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kodmin wrote:Now, when I got into SCUMMVM and try to add the game to my list, no matter which CD I use for the executable it comes up as
and the ID is
"tucker-demo"
The engine for that game looks for sample.bnk, which is probably not a good idea. (I think it's a set of musical instruments, but other games apparently use the exact same one.)

I doubt ScummVM supports CD swapping for this game (it doesn't for any other), so the best thing to do is probably to copy all the necessary files from both CDs. On the ones I have, most of the files are inside the dw2 folder. I'm not sure if all the files in that list are really necessary, and some of them appear on both CDs. In most cases, they're identicaly. Where they're not, and it matters, the link above should tell how to rename them so ScummVM can use both.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Kodmin wrote:I couldn't find ENGLISH. etcetera, but I DID find US. etcetera, so I changed those. Now, when I got into SCUMMVM and try to add the game to my list, no matter which CD I use for the executable it comes up as
and the ID is
"tucker-demo"
I tried this yesterday and it worked like a charm, I used the method described by eriktorbjorn.

You write that your files is called US.SMP, US.TXT and US.IDX but that should not matter, because the game use the same voice files in the US and British versions (or so I'm told, I only own the English version). Just make sure that you have two versions of all three files named respectively 1 and 2.
Kodmin

Post by Kodmin »

compiled the two folders into one, renamed the US files to reflect the discs they came off of. Same result, sees it as Bud Tucker demo, and a manual entry gives the same error as before.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The US version of DW2 should work correctly with tomorrow's unstable version
elcondor

Post by elcondor »

Just wondered - I have the Sega Saturn of DW2, where all the data is on one disc, and it looks like it's packed into one file. Should I post details about it, or will the packing be a huge problem?
Kodmin

Post by Kodmin »

US version works, after finagling.

Had to direct it to the DW2 directory, not the main directory. DID have to rename US. to ENGLISH. for it to see them.

It still sees the main directory as the Bud Tucker demo, but right now I don't quite care. Discworld 2.

Thank you very much for the support, by the by.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Kodmin wrote:US version works, after finagling.

Had to direct it to the DW2 directory, not the main directory. DID have to rename US. to ENGLISH. for it to see them.

It still sees the main directory as the Bud Tucker demo, but right now I don't quite care. Discworld 2.

Thank you very much for the support, by the by.
The issue with Bud Tucker detection is fixed now. And the US version should work properly without renaming the us.* files to English.*
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

md5 wrote:The issue with Bud Tucker detection is fixed now. And the US version should work properly without renaming the us.* files to English.*
I just compiled todays snapshot (20081204) and I still get that detection error. So the fix wasn't in that last snapshot?
gamin

Post by gamin »

you should try to download the sources directly from the trunk subversion tree : this is the best way to get the very latest version of the sources.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

meist3r wrote:I just compiled todays snapshot (20081204) and I still get that detection error. So the fix wasn't in that last snapshot?
It was still missing something.
The current tree should work, now. So it should the next daily shot, then...
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

DrMcCoy wrote:
meist3r wrote:I just compiled todays snapshot (20081204) and I still get that detection error. So the fix wasn't in that last snapshot?
It was still missing something.
The current tree should work, now. So it should the next daily shot, then...
I eventually compiled a build from the svn tree and that worked. Amazing job guys.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Anyone can provide some data about easter eggs? Anyone was able to reproduce them under ScummVM? :)