A new, pink, toy to play with.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

A new, pink, toy to play with.

Post by Red_Breast »

After playing around with PC and Wii versions of ScummVM a plan started to form in my head a couple of weeks back when my sister mentioned that my niece has a DS but never uses it.
So now I'm the owner of rose-pink DS. I find the older I get, now in my 40s, appearance is the last of my concerns but I think at some point I'll have to add "new DS shell" to my shopping list.
Anyway I've been looking at DS homebrew for a few hours, getting my head around it all. I've read agentq's page at DrunkenCoders and about stuff like DLDI, slot 1 and 2, different .nds files for the various engines and compatible games.
Whilst I noticed in the forum some newer builds I see the last "stable" is 0.11. Which is what the compatible games list is based on.
Mind if I ask the possibilty of playing these games with a newer build:
AJ's World...
Bud Tucker
Lost In Time
Touche
Woodruff
Discworld1
Discworld2

From playing these on PC I can see Bud T, Woodruff and Disc2 being too much for the DS. How about the other 4?
I ended up ordering a CycloDS Evolution. From what I understand ScummVM DS doesn't use the Opera/EZ Flash RAM upgrade so I left it for now.
One other question. I guess it's off-topic. I'm just after a yes, and a name, or no. Is there anything like DOSbox for DS?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'm not sure about the others but Lost In Time definitely works. And the latest available version is 0.12. It's on these forums if it's not on the website.
clem

Post by clem »

There's no such thing as DOSBox for the DS, the hardware just isn't powerful enough.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

To play Lost in Time, you must use 0.12.0 beta4. The older versions didn't support it.

And I also think it's unlikely that dosbox would be feasible on the DS.

Of those other games, it's likely that Discworld 1 will be supported in a future version. Woodruffe runs at too high a resolution to be played on the DS. The others I haven't looked into supporting yet.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

DOSBox on the DS? No.

DOS on the DS? Yes. Someone did take the trouble to port DOS to the DS, I don't know much about it, just Google DSDOS or something.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

iPwnzorz wrote:DOS on the DS? Yes. Someone did take the trouble to port DOS to the DS, I don't know much about it, just Google DSDOS or something.
I don't see any real use for a DOS port for the NDS myself though :-).
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Someone did.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for your answers everybody.
I probably should of explained the DOS bit better but didn't as it's off-topic.
As with ScummVM it will be a case of some games working and some (most?) being too much I guess.
Anyway I'll have a Google.
My CycloDS order's been processed. I have a train journey next week. I hope it's arrived by then. I'll keep it inside a newspaper to hide the pink. :oops:
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Where's the Cyclo from? I'm thinking of getting one for a Christmas gift but I only know of Amazon as a trusted source for R4s and there's none left. I also don't know how to spot a fake Cyclo from a real one like I can with an R4.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

iPwnzorz wrote:Where's the Cyclo from? I'm thinking of getting one for a Christmas gift but I only know of Amazon as a trusted source for R4s and there's none left. I also don't know how to spot a fake Cyclo from a real one like I can with an R4.
After reading your post I became worried. I'd heard of the R4 version 3 with SDHC support. I don't know if fake is the right word although I haven't heard anything good about them. I think they're made by some of the original R4 team.
Anyway I started here which has a list of resellers.
http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclod ... wheretobuy
On the list of UK resellers is modchip-store.uk. I ordered from them. I paid with a postal order. I left it uncrossed but I don't know if they bank it anyway. I've had an email saying the order's been processed. (Thurs 04/12)
After reading your post I noticed the name of the site. "Cyclopsds". Hmmm.
I put "CycloDS Homepage" into Google and got this.
http://www.cyclods-evolution.com/buy-cyclods-evolution/
Going to the bottom of the page the bit in the grey box made me feel better.
"CycloDS-Evolution.com is an independent online retailer and distributor of the CycloDS Evolution and not associated with the CycloDS Team - cyclopsds.com"
So it looks like I've bought from an official reseller. I'll post when/if I get it.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

That's because "Cyclops" is the name of the team that make the Cyclo ;)

Well let me know if your Cyclo DOES turn out to be real - I'm not spending £35 on something that could turn out fake.

As for the R43 SDHC - Yes it's fake, it will either blow the fuse in the DS or simply break, forcing you to buy a new one.
Forget_the_Rest

Post by Forget_the_Rest »

If you're unsure about where to buy a CycloDS from, I bought mine from http://techwizad.com/ one of the recommended sites advised by the makers - It turned up within a few days & worked fine out of the tin. They're currently awaiting stock but it's due in soon.
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

http://www.teamcyclops.com/ - the best place for all your NDS needs :wink: also in my sig

Real Hot Stuff offers best deals for Slot 1 & 2 combos (less in shipping) and very fast

ive also seen many posts about R4 fakes but i dont think they have a forum/message board...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Bowen747x wrote:http://www.teamcyclops.com/ - the best place for all your NDS needs :wink: also in my sig

Real Hot Stuff offers best deals for Slot 1 & 2 combos (less in shipping) and very fast

ive also seen many posts about R4 fakes but i dont think they have a forum/message board...
Less in shipping maybe if you live in the US.
I'm UK and seem to remember iPwnzorz (change that name man) is also UK. Didn't see any point in EZ flash if all I'm using it for is ScummVM.
There's 6 "official" UK resellers. Modchip-store was the first I tried that took postal order. Banks and me just don't mix.
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

if its just ScummVM your using then theres no need, EZFlash is mainly for the GameBoyAdvance games but has a lot of other little features that your CycloDS can take full advantage of too... theres a decent port for Circle of Blood on the GBA :P as well as other great classic emulation!

ive heard good things too about the modchip-store tho
Red_Breast wrote:Banks and me just don't mix.
i hear that!