Broken Sword 1 Compression

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jacks

Broken Sword 1 Compression

Post by Jacks »

Hello again!

Now I'm gonna compress Broken Sword Series.

My editions are:

Broken Sword: La leyenda de los templarios (Broken Sword: The shadow of the templars (Spanish Version). 'White label edition', 2 CDs.

Broken Sword II: Las Fuerzas del Mal (Broken Sword 2: The smoking mirror (Spanish Version). 'Sold out edition', 2 CDs.

Both of them are original, of course, bougth years ago :D

I am in work witk BS1, but when i want to copy (before compress) the CD2 MUSIC folder, some files have the same name, so i don't know what to do, because the documentation do not specify what files are necesary or not. These are the files with identical name in both CDs:

1M34.wav
2M26.wav
2M29.wav
3M12.wav
3M30.wav
4M9.wav
4M10.wav
5M1.wav
8M4.wav
8M7.wav

Thanks a lot in advance :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 1 Compression

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jacks wrote: I am in work witk BS1, but when i want to copy (before compress) the CD2 MUSIC folder, some files have the same name, so i don't know what to do, because the documentation do not specify what files are necesary or not. These are the files with identical name in both CDs:

1M34.wav
2M26.wav
2M29.wav
3M12.wav
3M30.wav
4M9.wav
4M10.wav
5M1.wav
8M4.wav
8M7.wav
It's true that the documentation doesn't say which of the music files are needed- The "compress_sword1" tool will skip the ones (or was it just one?) that aren't used.

However, it does say about the music that "some of these files appear on both CDs, but in these cases they are either identical or, in one case, so nearly identical that it makes little difference." Since they're plain WAV files, you can listen to them for yourself to confirm this.

If memory serves me, the "one case" mentioned is 2M29.wav, which is used for the control panel screen. (I don't know if it's used in any other places.)
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

Thanks a lot for the reply :D

I read somewhere that the structure that sword_compress asume was:

ROOT
|
|-FILES *.CLU, SWORDRES.RIF.
|
|-SPEECH
----|-SPEECH1.CLU,SPEECH2.CLU
|
|-MUSIC
----|-FILES *.WAV

Is that correct?? In my version the CLU files are in the folder CLUSTERS, but i have moved the CLU files to make the directory like that file tree.

Thnaks a lot again
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

Compression finished ;)

Thanks a lot for the replies :D
howl

Post by howl »

I found that the md5sum of all the repeated files in cd1 and 2 are the same, except 2m29.wav. The bitrate is very different from one to another and the length varies in 2 sec. Could scummvm use a similar trick as the speech1.clu and speech2.clu to use one or another corresponding when one or another CD is use?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

howl wrote:I found that the md5sum of all the repeated files in cd1 and 2 are the same, except 2m29.wav. The bitrate is very different from one to another and the length varies in 2 sec. Could scummvm use a similar trick as the speech1.clu and speech2.clu to use one or another corresponding when one or another CD is use?
I suppose it could, but is it worth it? From what I remember, it's two different recordings of the same music, so the difference is pretty small.
howl

Post by howl »

It seems to be that, at least for my hears, thanks for the answer. I have use the cd1 file, it has x2 bitrate.