t7gre - Groovie Engine

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello,

great effort so far, somewhat gruesome game when you have to solve some of these "language" related puzzles that used some words you never heard of (especially when your native language is german) - "SHY GYPSY SLYLY..." :shock:

Are the audio tracks already supported? How do I have to call them as there are 2 files on disc one, and another, large one, on disc 2 ??

Keep up the good work...

Vorph
clem

Post by clem »

Even the wikipedia article on words without vowel letters makes reference to the sentence used in t7g (caution - puzzle spoiler there).
My favorite word is probably twyndyllyng.

No idea about the track names, neither the datafiles page nor the README mention them for this specific game.

On a side note, currently games which need the tracks ripped are listed with ** on the datafiles pages - I think it'd make more sense to just add a line like "also, CD tracks need to be ripped" to the list itself, so people who don't know the meaning of ** offhand don't need to scroll. Any opinions on this?

And big thanks for adding this game to ScummVM!
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Hmm, yes, the multiple cds with audio tracks is an issue that we're going to have to look into. Afaik there are no current ScummVM games that have that, so it has not been encountered. Not sure how it will work, possibly the track on cd2 will have to be renamed track3.xxx or something. It's a known issue, anyway ;-)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Haven't had time to try the download as yet but well done on getting it this far, sounds great 8)
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

One thing I forgot to post here, is that it's now been committed to the main ScummVM repository, so if you download a daily build of ScummVM (after last night), you should be able to play T7G with it. But it's not fully supported yet, so no bug reports till we're ready ;-)
noize

Post by noize »

http://code.google.com/p/t7gre/wiki/PrepareGames
Describes how to add this game to ScummVM.

"You'll additionally need to rip the first audio track on the first CD and compress it to OGG or MP3 (ScummVM standard) if you want to hear the introduction music."

Renamed it to track1.mp3 and included it with the rest of the files. Works like a charm.
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

noize wrote:http://code.google.com/p/t7gre/wiki/PrepareGames
Describes how to add this game to ScummVM.

"You'll additionally need to rip the first audio track on the first CD and compress it to OGG or MP3 (ScummVM standard) if you want to hear the introduction music."

Renamed it to track1.mp3 and included it with the rest of the files. Works like a charm.
But what about Track 1 on disc 2? This is track1.mp3,too!
clem

Post by clem »

Sordid wrote: But what about Track 1 on disc 2? This is track1.mp3,too!
Maybe the page implicitly wants to say that audio on CD2 is only bonus tracks not used by the game? (I remember end credits music, that might have been CD Audio too, but I really don't know if the game expects CD1 or CD2 when playing that)
noize

Post by noize »

I am sure it isn't used in the game, as the game only uses CD2 for installation, not for playing as I recall.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

noize wrote:I am sure it isn't used in the game, as the game only uses CD2 for installation, not for playing as I recall.
... until you get to the attic (the last puzzle). Then it gets you to swap discs, and, as clem foretold, the audio track from cd2 gets played over the credits. so it is a problem ;-)
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

Interesting thread.

Graeme Devine once said that he had plans to port The 7th Guest to Mac OS X. It never happened but this new addition to ScummVM will, in a sense, make this come true.

Of course, I agree with some people in this thread that this puzzle game engine shouldn't be merged with an adventure game interpreter such as ScummVM...but whatever...it's close enough to being an adventure game.
tburke

Post by tburke »

rented mule wrote:Of course, I agree with some people in this thread that this puzzle game engine shouldn't be merged with an adventure game interpreter such as ScummVM...but whatever...it's close enough to being an adventure game.
ScummVM also includes games like the Goblins series. I think what dictates inclusion more than anything else is having a willing and able developer for the engine.
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

tburke wrote:
rented mule wrote:Of course, I agree with some people in this thread that this puzzle game engine shouldn't be merged with an adventure game interpreter such as ScummVM...but whatever...it's close enough to being an adventure game.
ScummVM also includes games like the Goblins series. I think what dictates inclusion more than anything else is having a willing and able developer for the engine.
True. I've come to accept ScummVM as a multi-engine multi-genre interpreter.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I'm just trying my copy of T7G on my Sony Ericsson M600. Can't say it reallly can cope with that 640x480 video(audio is stuttering somewhat, and framerate varies alot depending on the scene), but I think it should be playable. Looks nice even in 320x240. :-)
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Anotherguest wrote:I'm just trying my copy of T7G on my Sony Ericsson M600. Can't say it reallly can cope with that 640x480 video(audio is stuttering somewhat, and framerate varies alot depending on the scene), but I think it should be playable. Looks nice even in 320x240. :-)
That is good news! There is probably quite a bit of optimization that can be done once the engine is in a more complete state, so we might be able to speed it up a bit. We'll see ;-)