Bud Tucker, compression

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

noize

Bud Tucker, compression

Post by noize »

Great stuff for adding this game. Cyx you always surpise me with your additions.

Question: I noticed that already a compression tool is available. I compressed like described.

There are also some audio files left in the AUDIO directory, containing some duplicates (compared to the FX directory). Can I delete them too, or the whole directory?
cyx

Post by cyx »

Files in 'audio' and 'graphics' directories are only used in the introduction, which isn't played currently.

That's why the current version of the compression tool ignores the .wav files in them.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

So is Bud playable, in part or in full, with the latest v0.13 svn?
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

r34990 | cyx | 2008-11-10 20:38:54 +0000 (Mon, 10 Nov 2008) | 1 line

add initial support for 'Bud Tucker in Double Trouble'
Yes.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

iPwnzorz wrote:
r34990 | cyx | 2008-11-10 20:38:54 +0000 (Mon, 10 Nov 2008) | 1 line

add initial support for 'Bud Tucker in Double Trouble'
Yes.
I'd seen that. What I particularly wanted to know, note "initial support", is if the game is completable (is that a word? sounds weird)
clem

Post by clem »

Red_Breast wrote:completable (is that a word? sounds weird)
That's a good question, actually.
The dictionary confirms that completable is a valid English word, as opposed to the probably more intuitive *completeable.

I couldn't find any specific etymology of completable quickly, but my guess is that the 'e' is dropped because the suffix -able starts with a vowel. The final 'e' only functions to lengthen the other 'e' before the 't' (complet would be pronounced differently than complete) so the final 'e' is not needed any longer.

But don't ask me why it's possible to say both ageing and aging. I could go out on a limb and guess that ageing is the original, older form and kept the final 'e' in some cases, and the usage of -able to to create new words only came up recently, but I don't have anything to back that up here (and it's 4:30am, too).

(ageing seems to fall out of favor, too - the Firefox spellchecker tells me the spelling is incorrect)

(and eatable vs. edible is giving me nightmares)

:)
invwar

German Version not supported

Post by invwar »

Hi!
I want to test the German version of Bud Tucker, but I can't. The first Problem is, that the Game seems to be identified by the file infobar.txt. This file doesn't exist in the German version, but the German counterpart is called INFOBRGR.TXT.
If I rename the file, the game also doesn't work because there is a Checksumcheck at the start which kills the game before launch. The INFOBRGR.TXT checksum seems to be "4df9eb65722418d1a1723508115b146c", 552. I would be happy if you could include the checksum that I can test the German version.

BTW: The German charset.pcx is much more detailed, there are much more additional characters. Unfortunately it uses also a different font type and size, so the infobar is misplaced. (if I start the German Version with the English infobar.txt)

German CHARSET.PCX
cyx

Post by cyx »

It seems the charset is the same as the french version. I added the detection entry and charset to selection to ScummVM.
invwar

Post by invwar »

Hi again!
Now the game will be recognized, thats cool, but ScummVM says, that the German version would be the Greek Version, so please change this.

Also I discovered, that some files also changed their name and content. (my fool, had also the English files in the directory) If I rename the files, the game start and the game doesn't crash, so it seems to be OK. (but need further testings of course)

List of the German files:

BGTEXTGR.ENC
CHARNMGR.ENC
DATA5GR.ENC
INFOBRGR.TXT
OBJTX1GR.ENC
OBJTX2GR.ENC
OBJTX3GR.ENC
PT1TXTGR.ENC
PT2TXTGR.ENC
PT3TXTGR.ENC
CHARSZGR.DTA
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

cyx wrote:Files in 'audio' and 'graphics' directories are only used in the introduction, which isn't played currently.

That's why the current version of the compression tool ignores the .wav files in them.
Did you update your compression tool to support the intro?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Is there any chance somebody could help me with compressing the Tucker audio.

I've put all the wavs from the 3 folders, compress_tucker.exe
and flac.exe in one folder at C:\Tucker.
In the same folder I've tried writing a .bat file with notepad with the following which I based on the script that appears first when you run compress_touche in the ToolsGUI.

compress_tucker --flac -8 -b1152 "C:\Tucker" "C:\Tucker"

The only documentation I could find was in the Tools readme:
"compress_touche
Used to compress and pack Touche speech files ('Vxxx' and
'OBJ') to MP3, Vorbis or FLAC to a single file named
TOUCHE.SO3 (MP3), TOUCHE.SOG (Vorbis), or TOUCHE.SOF (FLAC).
Once compressed, only TOUCHE.DAT and TOUCHE.SOx files are
required to play the game under ScummVM.
Example of usage:
compress_touche [params] <inputdir> <outputdir>

compress_tucker
Used to compress .wav files from FX/MUSIC/SPEECH directories
to a single file named TUCKER.SOx
Once compressed, the 3 directories aren't required to play
the game under ScummVM."

As there is no example of usage for Tucker I used Touche as a starting point.
So I named the script compress.bat and tried running it in the same folder (C:\Tucker) but it won't run.
Should I try a different compression level or block size? I tried changing the "" to <> for the folder input and outputs.
I also tried
compress_tucker --flac "C:\Tucker" "C:\Tucker"
which game me a Tucker.SOF but it was only 1KB.

Or am I going about this totally wrong?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've worked it out.
By opening cmd.exe in my "tucker" folder and trying various scripts I was able to see where I was going wrong as it tells you whereas a batch file just closes straight away before you can read the error.
It was looking for the FX folder. The first of 3 folders that hold the wavs (over 4000!) With my first attempt I'd copied them all into one folder.
For the rest my original script was OK. So I just copied "compress_tucker.exe" and "flac.exe" into my "tucker" folder and stuck this .bat file into it.

compress_tucker --flac -8 -b 1152 "C:\Program Files\ScummVM\games\tucker" "C:\Program Files\ScummVM\games\tucker"
chojin

Post by chojin »

Just to make sure I don't mix things up:

After compress_tucker I can safely delete the folders FX, SPEECH and MUSIC, but I have to keep AUDIO because it's part of the uncompressed intro. That way It seems to work.

One warning appears after the intro:
Unable to open file CHARSZGR.DTA

So I copied it from CD, the message disappeared, but I did not see any other difference.

Bud Tucker (DOS/German) compressed vorbis
ScummVM 0.13.0pre (Jan 26 2009 20:36:33)
Features compiled in: Vorbis FLAC MP3 zLib MPEG2
Vista 64
skite2001

Post by skite2001 »

well, i've compressed the audio files and compared flac with vorbis.

flac (~300MB) and vorbis (~150MB)...i think that should be correct.

BUT...the compressed file doesnt work correct!...With the compressed file, some sounds are not looped! for example the clock (ticks few times, then stops).

With the uncompressed wav files all sounds work as they should.
Is this a bug of the compression-tool or a scummvm interpreter releated problem???
Neox

Post by Neox »

I have the same problem :(, but my english it's very bad and nobody answered me.

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6796

Any suggestions?