t7gre - Groovie Engine

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

arablizzard2413

t7gre - Groovie Engine

Post by arablizzard2413 »

http://code.google.com/p/t7gre/
t7gre is intended (eventually) to be an open source implementation of the Groovie engine for use with ScummVM. The Groovie engine was used to create several games in the 1990s, including:

* The 7th Guest
* The 11th Hour (sequel to The 7th Guest)
* Clandestiny
* Uncle Henry's Playhouse

The engine is now reaching an "almost playable" stage (for T7G). The only major problem is graphical glitches with some of the puzzles, making them almost uncompleteable.
14 of the 21 puzzles (not including the maze) already work, some of the ones that don't can be skipped using the book in the library.
ovvldc

Post by ovvldc »

Nice, more stuff to play with/on.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Great news! Even though the games are more puzzle than adventure, I hope that the engine will one day find its way into the standard build :)
raina

Post by raina »

Yeah, new games are always nice. I think I even have a copy of 7th Guest somewhere, and I've never got around to actually playing it. So, there are no graphics bit depth problems i.e. these games are all 8bpp?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

raina wrote:Yeah, new games are always nice. I think I even have a copy of 7th Guest somewhere, and I've never got around to actually playing it. So, there are no graphics bit depth problems i.e. these games are all 8bpp?
If I'm not mistaken, the 7th Guest is 8bpp. The newer games are 16bpp
arablizzard2413

Just an update, the game should be completable, the only things left are the ai for the microscope puzzle and a few sound problems.
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

clandestiny was one of the best puzzle games i ever played, id reccomend everybody to play it!!
arablizzard2413

Here's a compiled version if anyone wants to test it out.

Scummvm rev. 35011; T7gre rev. 332 for Win32
http://www.freefilehoster.com/uploads/1 ... _t7gre.zip
noize

Post by noize »

Thanks for compiling. This looks promising!
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

Works like a charm...thanks
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

arablizzard2413 wrote:Just an update, the game should be completable, the only things left are the ai for the microscope puzzle and a few sound problems.
I've never played t7G so if I get a copy and download the Scumm version you linked to what happens when I get to the microscope puzzle?
clem

Post by clem »

Red_Breast wrote: I've never played t7G so if I get a copy and download the Scumm version you linked to what happens when I get to the microscope puzzle?
If I remember correctly it's some checkers-style boardgame; if the AI isn't there my guess is that the AI player won't make a move and the game will be stuck. You don't have to pass all the puzzles in order, so you can explore most of the game without winning the microscope puzzle.
arablizzard2413

Right now the ai only makes one move, so it's easy to beat but don't try and reset the puzzle or the game will crash.

EDIT:
ScummVM r35058, t7gre r336
library video in the intro has been fixed.
http://www.freefilehoster.com/uploads/1 ... re-336.zip
Last edited by arablizzard2413 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote: If I remember correctly it's some checkers-style boardgame;
Ataxx.

Useless trivia: It used to be one of the games included in the GNOME Games collection, but I think it was voted out as not popular enough. When I played The 7th Guest, I used the GNOME version to beat the microscope puzzle. The microscope won the first time I tried it.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for the info. Not having to pass the puzzles in order sounds strange/interesting.