Best program to develop a new adventure to be used with SCUM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

seubz

Post by seubz »

Yes, my compiler is in a usable state (it's about 90% done I'd say). I haven't updated the SVN for ages though, and still, no editor yet ! When I update the SVN (soon), I'll include an example ready to be used with ScummVM.
rivadolmo

Compiler

Post by rivadolmo »

Let me know when it will be ready.!
seubz wrote:Yes, my compiler is in a usable state (it's about 90% done I'd say). I haven't updated the SVN for ages though, and still, no editor yet ! When I update the SVN (soon), I'll include an example ready to be used with ScummVM.
:lol: :lol:
oxi

Post by oxi »

Hi,

I share the same insterests as rivadolmo. Being able to develop new adventure games for such a plethora of platforms is a very desirable dream. I tried scummVM in the past on a WinCE device and I must say it's just wonderful.

Of all the currently supported engines in scummVM, which one would you say has the best support so far? I'd guess scumm?

Okay and is there any that has a freely available editor/compiler for it, and maybe a not too limited engine (in terms of what is achievable in graphics/sound and maybe game logic as well)? (excuse my foreign english :))

To make myself clearer: Of all the engines scummVM supports, I'd like to know (in order of preference):
*Those for which there is a free editor/compiler I can get my hands on.
*From the latter list: Those which are best supported on scummVM AND have the greatest features. (balanced preference)

seubz, I'm interested how would you compare your project status to that of scummC?

Thank you, and once again sorry for my bad english and this BRICK of text.

Regards,
oxi
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

So far only AGI has a free editor. WinAGI being the most modern one.

Eugene
oxi

Post by oxi »

Thanks for the quick answer, sev :)

I'll take a look at it!
seubz

Post by seubz »

Hello,

It's hard for me to compare ScummC to ScummGEN at that point. I would still say ScummC is ahead in terms of support for most of SCUMM related functionalities (which is all that matters after all), but I never really looked at ScummC properly so it's not easy to tell.

I'm trying to maintain a wiki here :
http://code.google.com/p/scummgen/wiki/MainPage
I am going to update it more often with news about the project. Currently, no release has been made yet, and I haven't started any editor. It can take quite a lot of time till the project becomes really usable (maybe one year), so I wouldn't count on ScummGEN to build adventure games for now...

Even though that doesn't sound promising, I'm still polishing a few things right now and I plan to release a first version with an example this month (maybe in January if I don't find the time). So I guess people could still try to understand how the resources are organized and create games without editors - even if that's not recommended.

I'll post here when I have news.
Bye,
Sébastien
BJ_Wanlund

Post by BJ_Wanlund »

Thanks for ScummC! Will attempt a play with it when I get more adept at Xcode.

BJ
rivadolmo

ScummC

Post by rivadolmo »

BJ_Wanlund wrote:Thanks for ScummC! Will attempt a play with it when I get more adept at Xcode.

BJ
I'm trying to have answers from the ScummC developpers but for instance nothing...I was firmly intentioned to use it but if noone helps is gonna be hard to use it.
g99k

Re: ScummC

Post by g99k »

rivadolmo wrote:I'm trying to have answers from the ScummC developpers but for instance nothing...I was firmly intentioned to use it but if noone helps is gonna be hard to use it.
There aren't any ScummC developers here. You have to write your questions to the ScummC mailing list:

https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/scummc-general

Sadly, Alban didn't make it subscription-only, that's why it's heavily spammed. But there are real entries occasionally, and Alban does answer all questions, just not always immediately.
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

I have submitted a question and I got no answer.
It was about loading images in the boxedit.
I actually get an error and theimage won't load !
g99k

Post by g99k »

I couldn't find your question in the archives. Send me a personal message or answer to mine, maybe I can help you.
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

Send me a PM with your email. I'll send to you an email with the files and the screenshot of the error.
Thank you