Full Throttle on DSi

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LoudMaximus

Full Throttle on DSi

Post by LoudMaximus »

I remember the reason full throttle originally wouldn't work was due to hardware limitations.with the new dsi apparently being more powerful will it be possible to play full throttle on it thru scummvm?
Forget_the_Rest

Post by Forget_the_Rest »

I don't think so. Even though they've increased the screen size slightly, the resolution is the same. This was part of the reason that it couldn't previously be added so will still stand.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

RAM wise I don't think there will be much of a difference, certainly not up to the 64MB Full Throttle needs.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Forget_the_Rest wrote:I don't think so. Even though they've increased the screen size slightly, the resolution is the same. This was part of the reason that it couldn't previously be added so will still stand.
I'm confused. Full Throttle is 320x200 not 640x480.
Morden

Post by Morden »

First of all, Nintendo DSi will not boot any presently manufactured flash device since firmware has been changed completly. It might take some time before we'll see ScummVM on DSi.

Plus what iPwnzorz already mentioned. Nintendo DSi, with all of its upgrades, will still not have enough memory.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

My main concern is whether Homebrew will work on the DSi at all! Early reports show they don't, which is unfortunate.
Forget_the_Rest

Post by Forget_the_Rest »

Mud wrote:
Forget_the_Rest wrote:I don't think so. Even though they've increased the screen size slightly, the resolution is the same. This was part of the reason that it couldn't previously be added so will still stand.
I'm confused. Full Throttle is 320x200 not 640x480.
Apologies, you are indeed correct. I 'remember' it being higher.
Morden

Post by Morden »

We'll see how things will look after DSi is released in all regions. Anyone interested will be able to take the DSi for a spin and probe it a bit.

I'm hoping that someone will be able to hack the firmware so that homebrew code can be run off the SD card, eliminating flash cards completly.

I'm all for homebrew but I'm against piracy. So even if this would mean that old homebrew apps would not be compatible, but there would be a way to run code on DSi from an SD card, I'm totally fine with that. The scene would catch on and the most interesting apps would be ported anyway.

That's all just wishful thinking though, and I'm not even planning on getting a DSi anytime soon. All we can do is hope for the best.
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

mods are pointless for the DSi right now... you gotta always expect a new console to be out for awhile before its ever hacked but the new features arent even that great (except for the screen size) but im just waiting for the next Nintendo handheld (which i dream will be the equivelent of a miniature gamecube)
Atrus

Post by Atrus »

It's true that it will take some time to get the system hacked and have some flash cards for ths DSi.

Nevertheless, homebrew community will be happy to know that the DSi CPU is somewhat more powerful than the DS and that the memory is not the same; supposedly, the DSi is fitted with 256 MB of internal memory. At least this is what i was told here in Japan where i checked the DSi in a large electronics store. (although this is not mentioned on the technical specification on the box i saw)

Above tweaks make the little machine even more luring for homebrew apps, (imagine the DSlinux now) and of course give a lot of hopes for emulating more demanding 320x200 games like FT and The Dig.

Let's see...
Vlcice

Post by Vlcice »

The DSi has 256MB of flash storage, not system RAM. I might be mistaken, but I think it has the same amount of system RAM as the original DS.
Atrus

Post by Atrus »

You are correct, this is the flash memory.

Regarding the RAM it is increased compared to the DS, mainly because of the Opera Web Browser which is now integrated in the DSi. The question is how much? They couldn't clarify me this one. Most probably is double the DS (8 MB) but there are rumours for 12 or 16.

We will soon know for sure.

By the way Full Throttle requires 64 MB of RAM?????
Guys, it's only 8 MB, just like The Dig.

You can easily see if there is a chance of FT and The Dig on the DSi (and on the DS Lite with the Slot 2 Ram Expansion)