How old are you all

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ManuelCalavera

Post by ManuelCalavera »

Theres alot more younger people on here than I thought. I can credit my uncle for showing me all these games since I was a kid and hes in his late 40's right now, otherwise I prob would have never come across them.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I forgot to add that I actually learned to read and spell by playing Sierra's AGI games.
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

24. DOTT and Sam & Max were the second and third PC games I ever owned, respectively. The first was Myst. I was lucky enough to discover adventure games at exactly the right time, too, when all of the Lucasarts classics were out on the White Label brand for £10 a pop!

Before I discovered those, all I had were a few educational games (mostly throwouts from schools) for my BBC micro. Yes, I went straight from a Beeb to an IBM PC, and missed out on the entire 16-bit era. Well, I had a SNES for a while, but only three games (that I sucked at), and later some bastard stole it, so I don't really count that one - besides, it was a console, not a "real" computer!

If anything, the SNES did more harm than good - it left me with a distinct dislike for action games in general, and platformers in particular, and it took a long time for me to discover the meaning of the phrase "Nintendo hard" and that, by comparison, PC action games could actually be enjoyable (sometimes even winnable), as well as adventures. My Nintendo-induced dislike of action games was so strong that I was even instinctively wary of any game that was 3D (besides, I could never afford to upgrade my creaky old PC and usually struggled to run them anyway) - so much so that I almost never discovered Grim Fandango!
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

33 over here. Came in contact with LucasFilm Games on the C64. While beeing in the 5th grade EVERYONE knew Maniac Mansion and a little later Zak McKracken. Man, we even discussed where to get which key (or the chainsaw gas) during the breaks. (<- is this the correct term ??). Later on, I (and most of my pals) came in contact with LSL or Space Quest... didn't take tong to become an addict :D

My wife is 27, and loves adventures in each and every incarnation - personal favorite "Broken Sword"

Memories...
GoodOldGeorg

Post by GoodOldGeorg »

JemyM

Post by JemyM »

30 here. Came in contact with LucasFilm games through Secret of Monkey Island on Amiga during the late 80'ies but finished Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest at the age of 8. With a walkthrough. English is not my primary language expressions like "mint-flavored prophylactics" was some of the first words i learned. Who said games aren't educational?
Tsampikos

Post by Tsampikos »

I am 30 years old, and i still have many old magazines with reviews of the games i used to play....or still play :D
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

And my first adventure was Monkey Island 2 on a lightning fast 386-DX40.

Yeah, I played MI2 before SMI.... Shame on me... :?
ovvldc

Post by ovvldc »

32. Got Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders on C64 and I was hooked.
AceReaper

Post by AceReaper »

iPwnzorz wrote:Just because MI2SP people want to know:

Youngest person to care about SCUMM?
Do I beat you saying 14? But I used scummvm first when I was 13 :P
I used to play Sam and Max, DOTT and Space Quest 4 when i was 4-5 and I've NEVER forgotten them!
paul0272

Post by paul0272 »

Wow, much younger average age than I expected! I'm 36 and had mistakenly assumed that everybody else who likes point n click adventure games would be around the same age as me. :D
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

AceReaper wrote:
iPwnzorz wrote:Just because MI2SP people want to know:

Youngest person to care about SCUMM?
Do I beat you saying 14? But I used scummvm first when I was 13 :P
I used to play Sam and Max, DOTT and Space Quest 4 when i was 4-5 and I've NEVER forgotten them!
lol, i can't even remember what i did / played when i was about 4 or 5

So young and already such a good intuition and feeling for good games 8)

you have my respect :!:

@paul: yeah, i'm surprised myself too, that there are so much younger adventure-gamers around here. i always thought that I started playing adventures really late, my "first contact" was about 1992/1993.

At this point i'd like to thank my uncle nicki. he brought me to all this shit with pcs, games and so on. THANK YOU!!!!!!
pinkfloyd789

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

I'm 15.
Wow, I'm a little young to be playing SCUMM?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

yeah, there really should be an age limit...
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

What are you talking about? Adventures are for everyone of all ages! :D