The Legend of Kyrandia: Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

about text skipping our current try to do it is all we can do I guess, also it would be nice to see our STUB: ... output then you do that thing you described in the temple. (you should delete all *adlib* stub messages though :))
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Another glitch: When I'm in the labyrinth in the volcanic river and I use the scroll, Brandon's head disappears, the animation where the lava is turned into ice appears and then Brandon's head reappears again
pi

Post by pi »

It's really awesome how fast development has progressed over the last weeks. Congratulations LH, you're doing a fine job :)

pi~
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Some/most of the animation glitches should be resolved now. Hopefully :).

We had a fastmode you could use to fast forward through cutscenes and such, but it might've gotten lost in the changes at some point. Might not be a bad idea to use something similar to skip past dialog.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

The game seems to run very slowly - not just Brandon's walk but the entire game including all animation and dialogue. I've not had this problem with any other game in ScummVM on my machine (1.5GHz P4) so I'm guessing it's a Kyra-specific problem?

On a side note, Mike (one of the original developers) mentioned once that there were in fact several (English) versions of Kyrandia 1 (CD version IIRC) with slightly different dialogue between versions. I don't see a reference to versioning (other than languages) in the game checksum routine, but perhaps it'd be nice to have specific version information displayed for games (not just Kyrandia) that had elements of the actual game (and not just the engine) changed between versions.

I hope that if you get the source code you might be able to implement a function to skip lines of dialogue (not just in cutscenes) via the "." button much like in the LucasArts games. It's a function sorely missed in the original interpreter. The "double click to exit room" would be a nice bonus feature also. :)
clem

Post by clem »

skipping cutscenes could be implemented in the following way I think:

if you hit ESC, a variable is set, every Cmd proc which plays sound, displays text, does a delay or waits for a confirmation mouse click just checks this variable and returns when it's set, animation functions run at full speed -
and when the user gains control again, variable is reset

clem
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

I would like to suggest a little refinement regarding the game names dispayed at the launcher.

At the moment you detect "Legend of Kyrandia (CD, English)" and so on.

But when I took a look on the others game detection, it's hard to see a common way.

Example:

Inherit the Earth (De DOS CD Version) (German/DOS)

Loom (English (US)/DOS) <- Here you can't tell which version I have, though you could using md5 detection.

That's why I don't give examples how it would be better because first of all, you should come to one common way ScummVM names detected games....

Just a small suggestion, anyway, since it's not game critical. :wink:
Thanks for the good work, team!
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

joachimeberhard wrote:I would like to suggest a little refinement regarding the game names dispayed at the launcher.

At the moment you detect "Legend of Kyrandia (CD, English)" and so on.

But when I took a look on the others game detection, it's hard to see a common way.

Example:

Inherit the Earth (De DOS CD Version) (German/DOS)

Loom (English (US)/DOS) <- Here you can't tell which version I have, though you could using md5 detection.

That's why I don't give examples how it would be better because first of all, you should come to one common way ScummVM names detected games....

Just a small suggestion, anyway, since it's not game critical. :wink:
Thanks for the good work, team!
I'll second this. Perhaps something like:
<Name of game> (<platform> <gfxmode where needed> <media type> v <version>, <language>)
would work?
Examples:
Legend of Kyrandia, The (DOS VGA CD v 1.03, US English)
Secret of Monkey Island, The (Amiga OCS Floppy v 1.0, German)
Loom (DOS EGA Floppy v 1.0, US English)
Discworld 2 (Win SVGA v 1.0, US English)

...in order to give a very exact description of the exact version and characteristics of the game in question.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

cappuchok wrote: I'll second this. Perhaps something like:
<Name of game> (<platform> <gfxmode where needed> <media type> v <version>, <language>)
would work?
Examples:
Legend of Kyrandia, The (DOS VGA CD v 1.03, US English)
Secret of Monkey Island, The (Amiga OCS Floppy v 1.0, German)
Loom (DOS EGA Floppy v 1.0, US English)
Discworld 2 (Win SVGA v 1.0, US English)

...in order to give a very exact description of the exact version and characteristics of the game in question.
Well, it doesn't have to be that exact for starters...

Also I'd strongly suggest to go the same way as the sorting of the md5 list.

Eg Loom (EGA/DOS/English)
The Secret of Monkey Island (CD/DOS/English)

This would make over-redundant infos like with ITE and too little info like with LA games unified, and would include all info that's necessary without over-description.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The problem with this is that in

Code: Select all

Loom &#40;English &#40;US&#41;/DOS&#41;
  Inherit the Earth &#40;De DOS CD Version&#41; &#40;German/DOS&#41;
last parenthesis are generated by ScummVM OSystem, which gets this information from game settings, namely platform and language. For some games there is no way to set that up properly, particularly, scumm engine has unified target names. For ITE I was able to determine exact version just because I calculate md5 for all game files. In scumm engine there are lots of those "Any platform", which will not give you any meaningful platform name in autogenerated description.

What I personally do with my games is add them manually, and give directory name in form of game-platform-language, like ite-cd-de, or itecd-de. Then I add more descriptive name to the launcher, however I myself use launcher pretty seldom, just firing './scummvm freddi4-ru' ;)

All that means that to eachieve this feature request we will have to collect significantly more MD5s, particularly for every game data file.

Eugene
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

But you could add just a little info like EGA/VGA or Floppy/CD ?

After all, you can tell that by the first canonical md5.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I've noticed that there is text skipping in the code (by left clicking or pessing ".") but it only works for Brandon's lines, not the things that other characters say
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

md5 wrote:I've noticed that there is text skipping in the code (by left clicking or pessing ".") but it only works for Brandon's lines, not the things that other characters say
Yeah I added that for Brandons chatting when I first implemented it, but it's a bit more tricky for other chats. Something like what's been discussed earlier (a 'fast forward' until the user has control again) is probably the way forward.
noize

Post by noize »

Will the FM-Towns version be supported?
clem

Post by clem »

if you donate it, I guess :-)