Ultimate Broken Sword 2 Setup Guide

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

How much free time to I have?

Too much.
32%
Way too much.
68%

Total votes: 28

Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

The comment is both right and wrong. It really does depend on the methods being used to access the files. Different codecs for flac and ogg exist and have dramatically different overheads. In the end though flac is technically better than ogg because it's a lossless codec, unlike ogg which is lossy, but maintains considerably higher audio fidelity compared to mp3, and is always (last I checked) free to use.

As a side note you don't have to download the dxa files if you're a little savvy being smacker video files (so easy to spot when you know the format it hurts) is to get the RAD game tools (free of charge), the SCUMM VM tools and do the following.

Firstly goto the tools directory and open the convert_dxa.bat file in notepad. Firstly make sure the directories in the set paths statements are correct for the location of SCUMM VM Tools and RAD Video tools. That's TOOLS_PATH and BINK_PATH if you're not sure.
Next we're not converting Feeble so change the SMK_PATH to where you want to read the SMK files from (I'd suggest on the hard drive as reading from the CD during the process can cause glitches in your video), and set DXA_PATH to BS_PATH\video\

This is basically ready to go as is, you can run it now or modify convert_dxa_one.bat for more advanced options such as switching the audio to flac or mp3 instead of ogg. To do the encodes you'll need an encoder for the relevent format.

Note these directions will work with BS 1 and BS 2 as both use Smacker videos. However you'll want to select if you want the high or low quality videos for your encode.

If you ask I can supply the contents of modified batch files that can be used more easily, but I think most of you are experienced enough to figure out how to do this.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

isn't it easier to simply download the already encoded DXA files? conversion takes quite some time.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

It can take time depending on your settings, that being said though some of us at least need to be careful with our data transfer, or don't have high speed connections so conversion can be the easier/better option. Besides, some of us prefer doing our own conversions.

I can't give an accurate benchmark on how long it takes to do the work here because I've had enough experience working with the smacker and bink formats to be able to cut down on my encoding times by optimizing settings which can come down to system differences as to how much impact they make, besides which I have 3 separate machines here fully operational to perform the work of vastly different calibres though none are dedicated machines. Plus I also have encoding tools on hand already for DXA video which might perform quite differently to that used in the tools pack.
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

About the structure, I had to put credits.bmp, credits.clu, resource.inf and resource.tab in the sword2 folder and not into clusters folder, because the credits screen appears in some places with no reason.

Thanks a lot for the job :D
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

This guide was very useful. :D My copy of BS II is compressing at the moment and I was wondering how you compress Broken Sword 1, and how different the steps are from the ones in this guide. I have tried many different things but it just doesn't work. What code do I need for the BS1 compression .bat file?
Alenthas

Post by Alenthas »

Well, I've got an issue. I like the game but...there is no such a "speech" file. Not at all. So could someone just upload those "speech1.clu" and "speech2.clu" please? I dont want to download the whole game again. Thanks.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Alenthas wrote:Well, I've got an issue. I like the game but...there is no such a "speech" file. Not at all. So could someone just upload those "speech1.clu" and "speech2.clu" please? I dont want to download the whole game again. Thanks.
Forum Rule 0. Downloading the game is illegal, and we do not provide files.
Alenthas

Post by Alenthas »

Yeah for sure! But you must understand! In my country, you can't find any old game like this! No, sir, no! Wouldn't I like to buy this game? It's just so cheap! But I cannot find it anywhere (There is a download limite here, and it cost much more to me. So I'm not lying)! What should I supposed to do? Trying to find something that does not exist? And I can't order it from anywhere, cause I dont have a credit card...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Alenthas wrote:Yeah for sure! But you must understand! In my country, you can't find any old game like this! No, sir, no! Wouldn't I like to buy this game? It's just so cheap! But I cannot find it anywhere (There is a download limite here, and it cost much more to me. So I'm not lying)! What should I supposed to do? Trying to find something that does not exist? And I can't order it from anywhere, cause I dont have a credit card...
And I thought there had been re-releases of Broken Sword 1+2 lately...

Anyway downloading is illegal, thus we can't give you support.
Alenthas

Post by Alenthas »

Gee, you guys such a headache. I wish you guys live in my country so you could understand what I've been though all these years about this legal/illegal stuff. Pfft... I'm not saying piracy is good but it's part of the life here.

Darn, this will be my 3rd download of this game...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Alenthas wrote:Gee, you guys such a headache. I wish you guys live in my country so you could understand what I've been though all these years about this legal/illegal stuff. Pfft... I'm not saying piracy is good but it's part of the life here.

Darn, this will be my 3rd download of this game...
Actually it might be bad from your point of view, but we can not tolerate any illegal actions. Thus you get a WARNING because of breaking rule 0.
Alenthas

Post by Alenthas »

Like I care! Pfft, don't make me laugh man...
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Broken Sword have to be the easiest/cheapest games to source from all the games supported by ScummVM. http://www.mastertronic.com/productList.asp?drdAlpha=2 have BS 1 & 2 for £5 or if they don't ship to 'your out of the way country' eBay is an option for no more outlay.

With a child-like response as yours I can't imagine anyone will have any sympathy to an account ban. Yeah, like I care either :D
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Alenthas wrote:Like I care! Pfft, don't make me laugh man...
I work with several people from your country, who are avid gamers. They didn't have any problems getting games while living there (I asked).
Alenthas

Post by Alenthas »

Yeah? It cost me 20 TL now instead paying 10 TL! Why should I pay more if I could just buy it? And yes, you could find it when its first released. And I was a child back than.

I might found it around (very low possibilty). But I probably had to go like 6-7 malls and 21 pc shops to find it. It makes travelling whole city with all of this traffic by bus. And it would took me 3 days fo find it (if there is any, and you can't really say that I didn't search it, I never seen Broken Sword ANYWHERE. Not at piracy game sellers, not at pc shops, nowhere!). I think I made myself clear, yes? If you don't belive me, I can give ya an example. Friend of mine says she was searching a book called "Mage". After few days search she says that she couldn't find it anywhere. Then she found it at a piracy book stand. What would you do? She did exacly what would you do.

Look man, I'm living in a country that doesn't allow you to do ANYTHING till ye get your hands on 18. They censore cigarattes, bloods and nuduty in movies. Like, you're watching a horror movie, and there is censore at ketchup-ish blood? I'm living in a country that blockes youtube, geocities, megaupload, and such sites for some stupid reasons. So just shut up alright? I had enough of this crap.

And I think I remember that I mentioned "I HAVE NO CREDIT CARDS" to use it on internet.

Thats why I cant play any pay2play games on internet. Belive me its worst thing could happen to a game freak.