Visit Transylvania, at no cost

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Visit Transylvania, at no cost

Post by sev »

SirGraham wrote:Is the original English CD version also available for free as an untouched, 1-to-1 accurate ISO?
It is not available simply because we do not have means of hosting it. And yes, after extracting the files from the ISO, the game will work with ScummVM out of the box.

And another point, there was not "English only" version, but one with English voiceovers and English, German and French subtitles.

Eugene
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

sev wrote:
SirGraham wrote:Is the original English CD version also available for free as an untouched, 1-to-1 accurate ISO?
It is not available simply because we do not have means of hosting it.
Hmmm... I think it's very hard to find an ISO of this game. Plus, since this game has audio tracks, it has to be a good quality ISO in order to preserve them right. If I can get my hands on such an ISO, I don't mind uploading it to sendspace or something for temporary availability at least, so it'll get at least SOMEWHAT widespread.
sev wrote:[And another point, there was not "English only" version, but one with English voiceovers and English, German and French subtitles.
As long as the voices and subtitles are English, it's good enough.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

SirGraham wrote:Plus, since this game has audio tracks, it has to be a good quality ISO in order to preserve them right.
Actually, you can't store audio tracks in an ISO. At all. Only certain data tracks (i.e. those with an ISO 9660 filesystem). :P
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

I have the CD of the game, and don't mind uploading a bin / cue (which preserves audio tracks) if someone has somewhere to put it...
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

spookypeanut wrote:I have the CD of the game, and don't mind uploading a bin / cue (which preserves audio tracks) if someone has somewhere to put it...
Yes, by saying ISO I meant CD image files in general, BIN/CUE included...

spookypeanut, after creating the BIN/CUE, use RAR to compress it and divide it to 300MB parts, and upload the parts one by one to: http://www.sendspace.com/
For each uploaded part you'll get a link. If you're willing to do this but require further assistance, PM me, and then we can publish the resulted links here for people to download.

Note: make sure the disc is clean and has minor to no scratches before extracting the BIN/CUE, otherwise audio tracks can be copied with "skips" and "jumps" and other interruptions...
clem

Post by clem »

spookypeanut wrote:I have the CD of the game, and don't mind uploading a bin / cue (which preserves audio tracks) if someone has somewhere to put it...
Which size are we talking here? I have about ~250mb available, probably more if I throw out some FOTAQ.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

SirGraham wrote: spookypeanut, after creating the BIN/CUE, use RAR to compress it and divide it to 300MB parts, and upload the parts one by one to: http://www.sendspace.com/
Will do, but will have to wait till I'm on my home machine. I have the bin / toc (similar to cue and inter-convertable) as a 7z (rather than rar) already, would that do? Would be quicker for me, but wouldn't take too long to add cue and recompress.
theruler

Post by theruler »

In this post it has been said that High Resolution backgrounds would be available..
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=25410#25410

In which way these BG has been used? if any.

any chance to have the game released with hi-res backgrounds?
what does Hi-res exactly means? 640x480?

cheers.
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

spookypeanut wrote:Will do, but will have to wait till I'm on my home machine. I have the bin / toc (similar to cue and inter-convertable) as a 7z (rather than rar) already, would that do? Would be quicker for me, but wouldn't take too long to add cue and recompress.
What program did you use to create the BIN/TOC? Linux-based I assume. 7Z is no problem at all, but BIN/TOC is not recognizable by popular programs like Daemon Tools and ImgBurn, so it's a problem.
If it's no big deal, it's probably better to create the standard BIN/CUE image, it'll be more accessible to people. You can then compress it in 7Z format, it's not a problem. But if you're going to upload to Sendspace, remember to break the archive to 300MB files, if the 7Z is bigger than that.

By the way, what do you use as the source for creating the image? Is it an original CD?
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

OK, have recompressed to rar, and included both toc and cue for completeness. Unfortunately when I tried to upload it (gonna use transferbigfiles.com, as it allows larger than 300Mb), my ISP decided my upload rate should top out at 20k, so I didn't have time to wait for it (the file is 360MB). I'll get round to it some day tho.

And yes, the source is the original CD, extracted with cdrdao on Linux.
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

spookypeanut wrote:included both toc and cue for completeness.
Sounds great. Does this actually mean that the TOC is basically only an option and not really necessary, and the CUE is enough for recreating all the data and audio?
spookypeanut wrote:Unfortunately when I tried to upload it (gonna use transferbigfiles.com, as it allows larger than 300Mb), my ISP decided my upload rate should top out at 20k, so I didn't have time to wait for it (the file is 360MB). I'll get round to it some day tho.
That's not so bad, I usually get 13 :)
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

All the same, the number of days I'm online for 5 hours at a time is very few atm. I've split it into 50 MB chunks now, and will try to upload them one-by-one when I get chance. They'll be going here, as I just noticed my web host just increased my space to 500MB (I thought it was 100MB):

http://www.spookypeanut.co.uk/drascula/ ... part01.rar

But there are none there atm. There are 7 parts total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

theruler wrote: any chance to have the game released with hi-res backgrounds?
I was under the impression that only one or two hi-res backgrounds had been found, but I don't know.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Seems like there's been a CD Image of the game available since the beginning of the year, seeing as the game is now freeware it shouldn't break any forum rules posting this link:

Drascula CD at 4shared

Be warned though, this has audio track 31 missing, so the origins of this CD (NRG split into multiple RAR's) are not known.

The full game CD Image of Drascula (when acquired) could be hosted on Sourceforge, have the game sourcecode as one package, have the game CD as another.
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

DCDayDreamer wrote: Be warned though, this has audio track 31 missing, so the origins of this CD (NRG split into multiple RAR's) are not known.
I've looked at the disc and there are 31 tracks total, the first being the data track and the other 30 are audio. Are you sure there supposed to be 31 audio tracks, not just 31 tracks total?
As a side note, I'm actually surprised that a "CUE-less" format such as NRG can store audio tracks properly. I imagine it saves the start/end times of the tracks in the NRG files itself, so I don't know how reliable that is.

So it seems it's better to wait for spookypeanut's complete, BIN/CUE image.