Moderator: ScummVM Team

efen3001

Xbox official port

Post by efen3001 »

Is there any chance to be released?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No idea. We had a patch with XBox support for over 3 years now, and the author just does not have time to complete it.

Eugene
efen3001

Post by efen3001 »

Yeah, it is stuked on 0.8.0 and the 0.11.0 svn really sucks. I hope Carcharius keeps up with his good work. Thanks for replying Eugene.
darknior

Post by darknior »

Hi,

Do you know if some one will continue the project ?
Because xBox is an excelent machine to play emulators ... many are finished on it :D

And today it is the less expensive machine for who want to make a great multi-emulator console :D

bye
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I can point you to a thread darknior but it doesn't explain much. But if you read it you'll know as much as most people anyway.
It was started by Carcharius when he released ScummVM 0.11 for Xbox over Xmas 2007. On page 5 (almost a year later) he makes a post but that's the last I heard.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=635130

It would be nice if somebody else could take over but they'd need the XDK (Xbox dev. kit) which is why not many people are in the position to compile a Xbox ScummVM build.
From Wiki:
"Only developers that are licensed by Microsoft may compile code and release binaries (.XEXs) of their software with the XDK, any software released using the XDK by developers that aren't licensed is illegal. Most of the underground homebrew software for the Xbox is compiled using the XDK, and thus is illegal."

There is a way around it in theory. I've read before how some people prefer to put xDSL (xbox Damn Small Linux) on their Xbox and then use a Linux version of an emulator for example the Playstation emulator. This is preferred over the Playstation emulator for Xbox by some.
So you could put xDSL on your Xbox. It uses the Debian repository so you could get ScummVM.deb from that or use the ScummVM.deb from this site's download page.
I've not read of anybody doing this but it should work, like I said, in theory.
efen3001

Post by efen3001 »

Xbox is a discontinued machine and I don´t think someone will continue the project since it´s not official...Too bad Xbox 360 is not a homebrew machine.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The iPhone, Wii, PS2 and PSP ports are based on unofficial SDKs, workarounds and hacks too (since the platforms themselves don't support homebrew software out of the box), but that doesn't make them illegal :? ...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

md5 wrote:The iPhone, Wii, PS2 and PSP ports are based on unofficial SDKs, workarounds and hacks too (since the platforms themselves don't support homebrew software out of the box), but that doesn't make them illegal :? ...
The important difference is that they are based on unofficial SDKs -- the word "too" is incorrect here, because the XBox port ias based on the official SDK, and that makes it illegal (due to the licensing terms of the official SDK, which besides other things, is incompatible with the GPL).
darknior

Post by darknior »

You can give us the source, it is legal, and we compile it ourselve if we want, it is our problem :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

We already give you the ScummVM source. We do not have any working current XBox code. And if we had, and it was using the XDK, then it would still be doubtful whether we could legally distribute it.

Really, move along, there is nothing to see here.
darknior

Post by darknior »

Merci pour l'info sur la version 0.11.0 ... elle est énorme :D
Enfin le jolie menu graphique et plus le vieu truc vert et noir lol
Et surtout un meilleur support des jeux :D
A DL d'urgence sur l'IRC de xBins ;)

Pour ceux qui l'ont testé, il lui manque quoi qd vous dites que elle n'est pas terminé cette version ?

Merci
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

darknior wrote:Merci pour l'info sur la version 0.11.0 ... elle est énorme :D
Enfin le jolie menu graphique et plus le vieu truc vert et noir lol
Et surtout un meilleur support des jeux :D
A DL d'urgence sur l'IRC de xBins ;)

Pour ceux qui l'ont testé, il lui manque quoi qd vous dites que elle n'est pas terminé cette version ?

Merci
English, please
darknior

Post by darknior »

Scuse me lol

Thanks for the information of 0.11.0 xbox version :D
It works very well ...
If you don't have it, go DL it on xBinx IRC :D

The last work to do on it is an option to calibrate screen ...

Bye
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

darknior wrote:Scuse me lol

Thanks for the information of 0.11.0 xbox version :D
It works very well ...
If you don't have it, go DL it on xBinx IRC :D

The last work to do on it is an option to calibrate screen ...

Bye
If you have any problems with it the person to ask is Carcharius who compiled the Xbox 0.11.1 version.
Carcharius is not a part of the ScummVM team.
As explained earlier about the XDK the Xbox port of ScummVM will never have a chance of being supported by the ScummVM team unless Microsoft release/legalized the XDK.
Somebody started to make an open source version of the XDK once but it didn't get far. (Although there was a release and you can get it at the same place you got ScummVM for Xbox)

Basically ScummVM 0.11.1 for Xbox is hard to get help for. People here and at Xbox-Scene might be able to help you but Carcharius is the only one who can give you a definite answer and I repeat he is not a part of the ScummVM team. So if you really need help I suggest you go to the Xbox-Scene forum and PM him. I notice you've already made an account there.

To borrow a line
"Really, move along, there is nothing to see here."
EugeneE

Post by EugeneE »

The only thing that I can say about the XDK is the programs developed with them are, in fact, actually illegal which means that even if a new version was released, it can't be distributed on the official scummvm site. This is coming from someone who owns both an XBOX, XBOX 360 and PS3 system. I've watched the XBOX homebrew scene for years.

The only free SDK for XBOX is OpenXDK but that hasn't been worked on in years so it's missing lots of features.