E71 and Scummvm problems*

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

xImtc

E71 and Scummvm problems

Post by xImtc »

Just want to add my quick experience: I am a new user of an E71 and a brand new user of SCUMMVM for any OS. I have only really tried out Curse of Monkey Island (MI3). I own the game and just copied the contents of both CDs to a folder on my memory card. It runs great when it is running (I really can't believe how good this thing is!) but it will frequently just dump me back the application menu without warning. Not sure what I should do to make this stop, as it's quite frustrating for a product that *almost* works perfectly!
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

Hi

I have also a Nokia e71 and I also experienced random crashes of scummvm. I tested it with Version 0.12 and Indy3. It even crashes sometime in the menu without having started the game.

EDIT: And another thing thats a bit annoying that the display turns off while playing if you don't press a button, but thats not that bad.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Strange that it crashes in the menu, since its like only updating the mousecursor then and nothing else. Its also strange that Scumm on the E71 is more unstable than on other S60v3 devices.

And COMI is still a special case. I know memory issues or missallocations might be one reason, but also that its not really tested at all on Symbian OS is another.
Affenfreund

Post by Affenfreund »

Hi, I own a E71, too and I have the same problems. Let's find a solution together :)
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

I tryed gameboy advance emulator and no crashes what so ever, It does use more ram than scummvm too. :p I noticed that chart "Compatibility list SymbianOS Series 60 builds ", there is highest OS 9.1 version, from what i know doesnt E71 use 9.2 version OS ? :p (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SymbianOS_S60) Im pretty sure its just little coding mather what needs to be updated maybe in ScummVM.
Affenfreund

Post by Affenfreund »

Maybe you are right. GBA-Emu sounds nice, where can I get it?
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Affenfreund wrote:GBA-Emu sounds nice, where can I get it?
http://www.vampent.com/vbag.htm.
Im playing Final Fantasy 6 and Zelda: Minish cap on it and it works perfect (vbagx 1.25 version), i did try some other games too and no problems, but i finish those 2 before getting into other games.
Affenfreund

Post by Affenfreund »

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: If I install vBag on the microSDHC, it does not find the game folder (E:/data/others/vbag). Installed on the phone memory it finds the folder (C:/data/others/vbag). Is there a solution to install it on microSDHC anyway?
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Affenfreund wrote:Thanks a lot.

EDIT: If I install vBag on the microSDHC, it does not find the game folder (E:/data/others/vbag). Installed on the phone memory it finds the folder (C:/data/others/vbag). Is there a solution to install it on microSDHC anyway?
Np, as if you go browse the main site of vampent you find there super nintendo (http://www.vampent.com/vsun.htm) and nintendo 8bit (http://www.vampent.com/vnes.htm) emulators aswell (i dont have any experience on those other emulators than vbagx tho).

About the installation, i have it on the phone memory, i dont have any experience on installing vbagx on the memory card.

Even tho i googled this "If you install vBagX on your MMC card, please put the roms into the folder "MMC:\data\Others\vBag";If you install vBagX on your phone memory, please put the roms into the folder "C:\Others\vBag". We recommend you install vBagX on MMC." Hope it helps.
Affenfreund

Post by Affenfreund »

Ah, thank you! Seems that the roms must be stored in Phone Memory whereever you install the program. That's a pitty, because you are limited to install only a few roms :(
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Affenfreund wrote:That's a pitty, because you are limited to install only a few roms :(
Maybe its trial version you're using since i tryed to put like 7 roms there and it worked, i looked the folder where roms at and it makes save files there too for each games. All games ive tryed works with full sounds and graphics.
felipealmeida

Crashes

Post by felipealmeida »

I get a consistent crash in the menu.
If I go to Edit Game... before anything else, it *always* crashes.
I don't get any warning though. It just closes.

If I go to Options before Edit Game, then I can get to Edit Game later.
Maybe there's some room for debugging here? With a consistent crash.
Inquartata

Enter the Prodigal E71-user

Post by Inquartata »

Seems like I've timed my arrival here pretty well, found this place yesterday evening. :)

Progress so far: Downloaded the latest version (0.12) and after about half an hour got through the "cursor-problem". On my e71, none of the advice here seemed to really work, so it was trial and error to find the following:

Press: Green, C, J, S),P, Green

Ready to try some games now, don't have Loom though. If it is available online for trial with ScummVM I could test it though.

Regards,

Sebastian
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Enter the Prodigal E71-user

Post by md5 »

Inquartata wrote:Seems like I've timed my arrival here pretty well, found this place yesterday evening. :)

Progress so far: Downloaded the latest version (0.12) and after about half an hour got through the "cursor-problem". On my e71, none of the advice here seemed to really work, so it was trial and error to find the following:

Press: Green, C, J, S),P, Green

Ready to try some games now, don't have Loom though. If it is available online for trial with ScummVM I could test it though.

Regards,

Sebastian
There is a sticky thread with all the controls used for the SymbianOS port:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6390
mpeterson

Post by mpeterson »

I've just tried ScummVM on my E71 and I'm seeing the same problem, every once in a while the application just crashes to the menu. What can I do to help you out?