Broken Sword 2.5 needs your help

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tooms

Broken Sword 2.5 needs your help

Post by Tooms »

Hello all together,

my name is Sebastian and I'm one of the developers of Broken Swortd 2.5. We're going to release the game in the end of this month, which is quite soon. :shock:

Now we noticed some missing graphics and I'm eagerly, if someone can help us in this short time.

In the beginning of the development we had some support from Revolution Software, who gave us the original cursors (the well-known hands). Now look at the video at 1:10 min: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=PIqDI62_5nU
Do you see the cursor (hand) on the right side of the screen? This is a missing animation, which we need.
As I said, Revolution sent us several years ago all other cursor animations excluding this one. So it would be great to get someones help in this last stage of the development. Can someone extract the animation/the frames from the game data?
Forget_the_Rest

Post by Forget_the_Rest »

I could be wrong here (& happy to be) but since the game hasn't been released as freeware to get someone to extract something even as simple as the cursors would be breaching copyright as they were created specifically for that game. If Revolution gave you the others, can't you contact them again to get the one you're missing?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Forget_the_Rest wrote:I could be wrong here (& happy to be) but since the game hasn't been released as freeware to get someone to extract something even as simple as the cursors would be breaching copyright as they were created specifically for that game. If Revolution gave you the others, can't you contact them again to get the one you're missing?
That's probably a valid point, though if Revolution gave them the other cursor animations, I would guess their intention was to give them all of them. Anyway, it doesn't seem that much worse (to me) than the screenshot archive on the ScummVM web page. So I went and dumped the animations for the hands beckoning left and right:
cursors.png
cursors.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 325 times
(They're probably mirror images of each other, but I didn't check.)

Since I dumped them to X PixMaps first, which I don't think supports transparency, I changed the transparency to an easily recognizable shade of blue. After that, I didn't want to fiddle around with transparent PNGs, so I left it that way.

The hotspot for the left cursor is at position 1,19 and for the right one it's at 34,19. (The upper left corner is at 0,0.)

The first five frames are the "flash" phase of the animation, so they're only used at the beginning. After that, it loops the remaining ten frames. (This "flash" effect is much more noticeable on some of the other cursor animations.)
Tooms

Post by Tooms »

eriktorbjorn wrote:That's probably a valid point, though if Revolution gave them the other cursor animations, I would guess their intention was to give them all of them.
Completely right. Of course I asked Revolution about the missing cursors, but didn't get an answer.

Oh wow, you're so great! :D That's exactly what our programmers needed. I'll give Daniel Queteschiner, who is one of them, the link to your entry. Maybe he has some questions, but you documented the frames very well.

Thanks from mindFactory. 8)
Nicodemus82

Post by Nicodemus82 »

will this game be playable with scummVM?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

most propably not.
Tooms

Post by Tooms »

Nicodemus82 wrote:will this game be playable with scummVM?
No, because we use more colours than ScummVM supports. "Unfortunately"! :-/
Track505

Post by Track505 »

Unfortunate, unfortunate. That would have been very beautiful! :oops: