The Legend of Kyrandia: Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

The Legend of Kyrandia: Testing

Post by LordHoto »

Hi,

since about one hour Kyrandia is an official ScummVM engine, it would be nice to get some bug reports. So have fun with testing and please take a look at the wiki (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra) and at the compatibility page (http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php?details=kyra1) and the bug tracker before filling reports about bugs we allready know of.

Johannes
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Unfortunately I'm off to France for a week (work) so cannot run it! I'll grab it when I return and post back any issues! Great work to see this supported :)
clem

Post by clem »

congrats on getting it so far!

about the compatibility list: Mac is not listed, neither as supported nor unsupported

also will any language version work?
skink

Post by skink »

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how can i compile scummvm with kyrandia support under winxp? What kind of c++ compiler do i need and what should i do to compile scummvm from source code?

Great work with making support for kyrandia. I would like to help with testeing.
clem

Post by clem »

for compiling see section 9. in the readme: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... iew=markup

the easier way is probably a precompiled daily win32 snapshot, you can get it from http://scummvm.org/downloads.php

you will also need the KYRA.DAT, you can find the latest version here:

Code: Select all

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/scummvm/engine-data/kyra.dat
hope that helps,
clem
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

Congrats! I'll be testing this as soon as possible and let you know if I find any issues.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Currently all versions should work, except the french floppy version (which I'll hopefull have added today). Language versions besides the spanish and german will have the intro and end dialogues in english instead of the normal ones.

Other known issues: Mouse flickers quite a bit, there's a small graphical glitch after the leaf that turns into a gem falls down in the first forest area. Sound effects and music doesn't work. Brandon walk speed doesn't take scale into account (he moves really really fast if he's small on the screen, check the banquet hall in the castle).

About the Mac version: It works as far as I know, but I don't have a Mac available at the moment to test on. Feedback on that, and all the other ports, is appreciated :).
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

I just tested the DOS floppy version with the latest Windows (1-8-05) CVS build:

I completed it with no issues outside of those which were already mentioned in the compatibility list and on the wiki.

I'm going to build the Dreamcast backend with the latest CVS sources and try it out on that version later today.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vinterstum wrote:Currently all versions should work, except the french floppy version (which I'll hopefull have added today). Language versions besides the spanish and german will have the intro and end dialogues in english instead of the normal ones.
French CD version should have got text speech in the intro too.
Brandon walk speed doesn't take scale into account (he moves really really fast if he's small on the screen, check the banquet hall in the castle).
I think that was the same in the original game, that is so not a 'bug' of ours. :)
clem

Post by clem »

About the Mac version: It works as far as I know, but I don't have a Mac available at the moment to test on. Feedback on that, and all the other ports, is appreciated
no, I meant whether the Mac version of Kyrandia 1 will run under Windows/Linux (since you mention the Amiga version as not supported)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

did you try to use it? maybe it has just different .pak names but it *should* work since it should be the same as the french pc dos floppy.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Great work! Tried it with Kyrandia English CD version

A few things I've noticed:
1) Nothing happens when I click on the "options" gem. It seems there's no option screen... has it been implemented?
2) I can't bypass dialogs. I think that was an issue with the original game as well... would it be possible to bypass dialog lines by pressing a key (e.g. "." or space) or left-clicking? *EDIT* It seems I can bypass some dialogs, but not all of them
3) There is an animation in the first forest (around Callak's house) with a leaf falling and turning into a green peridot. That animation didn't show properly for me
4) Slight feature request (this was not in the original game)... would it be possible to jump to another screen immediately when double-clicking on the exit leading to it, instead of watching the whole walking animation of Brandon? I used to crank up the speed to maximum in the original game because I got bored of watching Brandon walk! :p
5) *EDIT* When I fixed the altar in the starting forest, the altar became bright. Part of the graphics on the frame around the main screen (on the top right) became bright too, so I'm guessing that those colors match and the interpreter tried to make them both brighter
6) *EDIT* Forgot to mention that although music and sound effects don't work at all, speech does (speech exists only in the CD version)

Haven't gone very far yet because of the lack of save support, but everything looks to be working (although I haven't seen if the kyragem is working, didn't have enough time)

Again, nice work, well done! :)
clem

Post by clem »

save support is there, the standard hotkeys should work (I think it's alt-1, alt-2, etc and ctrl-1, ctrl-2, etc)

1. - yeah, not implemented yet

2. - hard to implement, probably possible by speeding up the game to maximum until the user gets control again?

3. - known issue

4. - same as 2. I guess - you could try to use the debugger to teleport between rooms though

5. - a regression, just mentioned it in the channel, will post a bug report

6. - sound is disabled for now
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

md5 wrote:Haven't gone very far yet because of the lack of save support
There is save support. Use Alt and number keys (0-9) to save. Use Ctrl and number keys (0-9) to load.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Thanks, got save/load working

Another issue I found: when Brandon walks in the temple where Brynn is for the second/third time (first is to speak with her, second to give her the lavender rose if he has it and third when he finds the amulet), he runs to the left trying to find her. Walk speed is increased for the running scene and then it "sticks", so Brandon walks around very fast from that point on, similar to the player selecting "max speed" from options (in the original interpreter)

EDIT: and another one: the dragon's breath in Darm's house is not cleared properly in front of her mouth, so you see part of a fire there
Last edited by md5 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.