How to navigate to hidden folders? [Linux]

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LurkerScum

How to navigate to hidden folders? [Linux]

Post by LurkerScum »

For organization's sake, I wish to put my Monkey Island games in my /home/[user]/.scummvm folder, but I can't navigate to hidden directories. I've looked around for the configuration files so I could just manually gedit the directory, but I can't find it.

Sorry if this is a simple solution, and thanks for your time.

<Posted with a BugMeNot login>
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

As a workaround, you could add/edit

Code: Select all

browser_lastpath=/home/username/.scummvm
to your ~/.scummvmrc

then when you next try to "add" a game, it will start in that directory.
selmi

Post by selmi »

you can also make symlink point to this hidden directory, for example ln -s .scummvm scummvm - and use this for navigation
wfeltmate

Post by wfeltmate »

if you are using gnome, you can press CTRL+H or in the menu of the folder window, you can go to View > Show Hidden Files
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

Fantastic. I completely missed that file during my browsing around.

Mayhaps showing hidden directories could be implemented for future users? Only suggesting improvement for an already amazing program.

Thanks very much, joostp and seimi. wfeltmate, I appreciate your help, but I believe that you addressed a different problem :wink:. All the same, I appreciate it.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

LurkerScum wrote:Fantastic. I completely missed that file during my browsing around.

Mayhaps showing hidden directories could be implemented for future users? Only suggesting improvement for an already amazing program.

Thanks very much, joostp and seimi. wfeltmate, I appreciate your help, but I believe that you addressed a different problem :wink:. All the same, I appreciate it.
I believe hidden folders were processed normally in the past. In the newest versions, ScummVM honors the hidden attribute (the dot at the beginning in *nix systems) and does not show the folders (rightly so, as they're supposed to be hidden)
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

Well, I'm a guy that likes options :wink: . I understand the thinking of that, but I just feel more organized with the MI games in the .scummvm folder rather than one of the million /share/games folders or the /opt folder, which I reserve for manually installed programs.

Whatever, it's your program, so I shouldn't complain. As long as I am able to re-experience the swashbuckling lucasarts games, I'm as happy as a wimpy skinny guy in a pirate outfit.