Discworld and ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nikioko

Discworld and ScummVM

Post by Nikioko »

Hi,
I downloaded the current daily snapshot and tried to run Discworld 1, which ran well until I tried to save the game. Then the whole program crashed back to desktop. Do you know this problem?
Other question: do you plan a aupport of the enhanced audio by James Woodcock)
Third question: I noticed that Discworld 2 is not supported so far. Will you do that as soon as DW1 is running smoothly or will there be a parallel implementation?

Greetings.

P.S.: I have been waiting for a Discworld support for a couple of years. Great work.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Discworld being supported by ScummVM is still WIP.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Have you set up the save path correctly? (Options -> paths -> save path)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Current daily snapshots may be very unstable and crashy. This is true in general, but especially so right now, as we are revamping some core parts of ScummVM. It might be better to try a version from a few weeks ago.

As for DW2: That is a completely different beast; whether and when it will arrive does not depend on the status of DW1. I think DW2 will come eventually, but don't hold your breath, it could be months -- currently, only one of us is actively working on it.

As for the "enhanced audio": There is some initial but unfinished code for that in there. But I think nobody is working on it right now.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Thanks for information. I am glad that someone is working on it. DW1 woks well until I try to save. But I am sure, you will work that out.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Saving works fine for virtually everybody, and we do not have any plans to make any changes to the saving code, as it works fine -- well, with the exception that we apparently need to add a nice error dialog if saving fails :).

To repeat MD5s question: Have you verified that your save path is set correctly?
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

fingolfin wrote:Saving works fine for virtually everybody, and we do not have any plans to make any changes to the saving code, as it works fine -- well, with the exception that we apparently need to add a nice error dialog if saving fails :).

To repeat MD5s question: Have you verified that your save path is set correctly?
Yes. It is the default save path I use for all the games. And it has nothing to do with the saving itself for I don't get that far. When pressing F1, I get to the save slots, and before I can type a name, the whole program crashes.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

OK, now that it seems to work: great job.

Yet another question: in the list of required files there is VOLUME. Is that really necessary? These files are just text files to identify disc 1 and 2 and contain one single byte (1 or 2).

And: will ScummVM support the enhanced music of Discworld 1 in future?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Nikioko wrote:Yet another question: in the list of required files there is VOLUME. Is that really necessary? These files are just text files to identify disc 1 and 2 and contain one single byte (1 or 2).
That's a mistake then, they are not needed.
Nikioko wrote:And: will ScummVM support the enhanced music of Discworld 1 in future?
Unfortunately, at least for the .SCN-version of the game, there are lots of missing tracks and their order is scrambled. I'll ask James about that the next time I'll see him on IRC...
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

That would be great.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Just to let you all know that I have completed version 2 of the soundtrack with the few missing tracks there were and sorted out the order to work with Discworld.

There is a small problem though as there are two versions of Discworld with different music selections. I need to sort out how version 1 compares to version 2 next, but I wouldn't have thought there are any additional tracks to worry about its just a matter of getting around to it.

Once Discworld is in a stage of completion that the ScummVM developers are happy with and we know that my tracks are working as they should within the game, I will talk with them and arrange on how we are going to share with the public :)

I would just like to take this chance to thank all the developers who work so tirelessly on ScummVM. Their efforts are truly astounding and it is this fact that spurs me on to help add a little more for the community who are looking for additional soundtracks to try.

All the best

James
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Thanks, James! And thanks, ScummVM developers!
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

I want to thank all of you guys engaged in this project. You are doing a great job. Now I am just waiting for a support of The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, and all my favourite DOS games are running. ;-)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, I just downloaded the newest daily built, and both Discworld games could not be recognized.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

No, tinsel is disabled for the new release. It will not be supported until 0.14.0.