Teen Agent

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Cool... I hope you succeed in finishing it..
Sofox

Post by Sofox »

Definitely, the best of luck.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

This was one of my first adventure games!

Being Polish myself I've played the original Polish version back when it was released. I'd also bet my ass that it's technically freeware, but back in the day there weren't many "anti-piracy" policies in Poland so you never know... Then again, it sure is released for free on a major polish gaming portal and no one objects. Hell, these games are posted on every single Polish "old-school nostalgia gaming" site. Being a huge publisher that CdProjekt is today, they'd sure object if anyone broke any laws.

Try to keep in contact with these guys please, I'd love to see it being supported in Scumm!

Cheers.
Last edited by Jinx1337 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

PS.

There are also a couple of other GREAT Polish adventure games (if for the nostalgia factor alone) done by a company named LK AVALON.

These games includes "Sołtys", "Skaut Kwatermaster" (total DOTT rip-off lol) or "Sfinx". They're all completely freeware (and being put for download on LK Avalon's official page). The company doesn't produce games anymore though, they changed their market.

These games would also make a perfect addition to SCUMMVM, but I doubt there's any interest besides Polish gamers since I'm not sure if these games were ever translated to English.

That, and I guess you'd have to be Polish to truly appreciate them (despite the obvious low-budget and blatant rip-offs).
There's a specific lifestyle, humour and that post-communistic atmosphere that you just cannot translate to any other language.

http://www.lkavalon.com/lka/index.php3?dzial=dow (download site)

http://www.avalon.info.pl/lka/download/ ... skauta.exe (direct SKAUT link)

http://www.avalon.info.pl/lka/download/ ... sfinxa.exe (direct SOŁTYS link)

Sigh, I miss the 90's.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

TeenAgent is 100% not freeware, Metropolis just decided to allow a few select sites to host it, In a sort of 'turn a blind eye' move, although sites will tell you its freeware it has never been legally released as freeware, due to this it still remains illegal to download the game.

the news on the freeware status of TeenAgent comes directly from guys at Metropolis.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

sanguinehearts wrote:TeenAgent is 100% not freeware, Metropolis just decided to allow a few select sites to host it, In a sort of 'turn a blind eye' move, although sites will tell you its freeware it has never been legally released as freeware, due to this it still remains illegal to download the game.

the news on the freeware status of TeenAgent comes directly from guys at Metropolis.
So yes, I am pretty sure they would also turn a blind eye if the game got a sudden ScummVM support. But I know how 100% legit the whole ScummVM project needs to be, so I understand your concerns.

Hit me up if you need any "Polish speaking" help.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Jinx1337 wrote:So yes, I am pretty sure they would also turn a blind eye if the game got a sudden ScummVM support.
Adding a game to ScummVM has nothing to do with freewaring. Majority of games we support are not freeware. So if anyone will start work on Teen Agent and eventually bring support to ScummVM, that would be interesting.

Eugene
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Im quite happy to work with Metropolis throughout this process, Id rather they didnt turn a blind eye and came out and told me if there was something they werent happy with. Throughout the progress I will be making constant contact with Metropolis, simply because I have things to ask, and things they have requested I confirm with them.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Metropolis have stated that they have no issues with me showing off a few screenshots every now and then.

so heres a tiny update

http://sanguinehearts.blogspot.com/
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

This is looking awesome - I hope you continue to have success with this.

I remember downloading the shareware version of this ages ago and loving it and buying it. Wonder if I still have it somewhere...

Anyway, best of luck.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

well, If you have been checking the blog you will see that sprites now work and music is working too

however I think I have found out about an easter egg in TeenAgent

however the easter egg is in Polish and online translators dont help enough to translate it clearly.

the easter egg in question is here
http://www.gry.rozrywkowe.com/gierki/,7 ... 4,2213.htm

if anyone native polish speaker could translate that I would be very greatful

thank you
Robert
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sanguinehearts wrote:the easter egg in question is here
http://www.gry.rozrywkowe.com/gierki/,7 ... 4,2213.htm

if anyone native polish speaker could translate that I would be very greatful
It says there "Wait for about half minute in the forester house and look carefully at the screen on the right side".

Eugene
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Thanks Sev,
turns out its not an easter egg, just a small feature I hadnt noticed before.
Mok

Post by Mok »

Well, if anyone is interested, I do have partial source code of the amiga version of the game. Unfortunately it won't help much as:
1) it's written in assembler
2) it's only main source file, no data files at all
3) source is ugly, obfuscated and 90% of comments are in polish language
There are some good points - the original pc version was completely hardcoded in asm so it was impossible to write a "driver" for amiga. I recoded the game from scratch and the logic uses pseudo-language, made with assembly macros and very crude but still it might be more readable than reversed exe of pc version. I don't have full source (got lost somewhere) so no idea if any hardcoded data is compatible. Regarding versions - the polish cd edition of the game (and the amiga ports) had some upgraded graphics compared to the 1st 3-disk pc release AFAIR. Nothing major, but some improvements.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Mok wrote:Well, if anyone is interested, I do have partial source code of the amiga version of the game. Unfortunately it won't help much as:
1) it's written in assembler
2) it's only main source file, no data files at all
3) source is ugly, obfuscated and 90% of comments are in polish language
There are some good points - the original pc version was completely hardcoded in asm so it was impossible to write a "driver" for amiga. I recoded the game from scratch and the logic uses pseudo-language, made with assembly macros and very crude but still it might be more readable than reversed exe of pc version. I don't have full source (got lost somewhere) so no idea if any hardcoded data is compatible. Regarding versions - the polish cd edition of the game (and the amiga ports) had some upgraded graphics compared to the 1st 3-disk pc release AFAIR. Nothing major, but some improvements.
Wouldn't permission be needed from the current copyright holder before anyone working on the engine for scummvm should look at it?