Please help! ScummVM DS 0.12.0 beta4 corrected!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

Please help! ScummVM DS 0.12.0 beta4 corrected!

Post by agentq »

Please test this new beta version of ScummVM, and post your results here. It would be good to know which games you have tested.

If you see problems, please post the details here, and include details of your setup.

Since this is a beta version, full instructions are not yet available, but instructions for use are essentially the same as the previous version, so see the ScummVM DS website at http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com

Hopefully, this build should now work. I'm espcially interested in people who want to test Lure of the Temptress, Kyrandia 2 and 3, and Inherit the Earth.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... 0beta4.zip

Fixes in beta4

- Fix crashing in Inherit the Earth and Lure of the Temptress
- Speedups for all Kyrandia games

Fixes in beta3

- Mouse cursor palette corruption fixed.

Fixes in beta2

- Mouse cursor icon is hidden when screen tap method is enabled
- Audio is no longer corrupted when high quality mode is on
- Speed fixes for Kyrandia engine (thanks, LordHoto!)
- Properly enabled AGI and CINE engines
- Fix occasional mouse button getting held down

New Features

- New games supported:
- Lure of the Temptress
- Nippon Safes
- Lost in Time

- New laptop trackpad style input method

- New option to drag for hover, tap for click, and double tap for right click

- Reorganised options screens

- New top screen scaling options

- The usual round of bug fixes

Supported Games

Build A:
Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Bear Stormin' (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (DOS version only)

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2
Waxworks (Amiga version only)

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars
Lost in Time

Build E:
Inherit the Earth (DOS Floppy version only)

Build F:
Kyrandia 1

Build G:
Lure of the Temptress

Build H:
Nippon Safes
Last edited by agentq on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

wow good work agentq, good to see the new additions are running smoothly for ya now :wink:
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Not so smoothly it seems. The version I posted just crashes on startup. That'll teach me to make modifications at the last minute and not test them.
Luminious

Post by Luminious »

When you mentioned:

Fixes in beta4

- Fix crashing in Inherit the Earth and Lure of the Temptress
- Speedups for all Kyrandia games

Is this for Kyrandia 1 or all Kyrandia games as in 2 and 3? I only saw 1 listed so I figured it does not have support for 2 and 3 yet.

- Lumi
Scandal_UK

Post by Scandal_UK »

agentq wrote:Not so smoothly it seems. The version I posted just crashes on startup. That'll teach me to make modifications at the last minute and not test them.
Now that I can relate to! :D
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I've now fixed the build. Please test!
Vlcice

Post by Vlcice »

The intro glitching in the DOS floppy version of Inherit the Earth is no longer happening for me in this version; thanks!

Unfortunately, all of the CD-ROM versions I've tested (DOS CD, classic Mac CD, Mac OS X CD) continue to crash at a black screen after choosing "Start" from the ScummVM menu.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

That's right. Sorry, I forgot to mention that only the DOS floppy version would work. The others use too much memory.
Garcimak

Post by Garcimak »

I forgot to mention that only the DOS floppy version would work. The others use too much memory.
I get it now! wondered why my CD version hanged on starting screen.
Need to get the hand over the dos version. I hope the hilarious voices are still present.
Vlcice

Post by Vlcice »

agentq wrote:That's right. Sorry, I forgot to mention that only the DOS floppy version would work. The others use too much memory.
Oh, all right. That's too bad, though I can understand - the DS's memory is a lot more constrictive. Is there any chance that they might be supported in the future, either as-is or with one of the RAM expansions? I noticed that the DS has more RAM than their original requirements, though I understand ScummVM probably has more significant overhead.

For the time being, maybe it would be a good idea to remove ScummVM's detection of the CD versions and/or add a note about the incompatibility to the readme? It's a bit confusing to users who haven't seen this to have the games be detected but not run.

Garcimak: The floppy version has voice acting through the intro, but not through the rest of the game.
tomten

Re: Please help! ScummVM DS 0.12.0 beta4 corrected!

Post by tomten »

agentq wrote:I'm espcially interested in people who want to test Lure of the Temptress, Kyrandia 2 and 3, and Inherit the Earth.
Kyrandia 2 (DOS, floppy) seems every bit as fast and stable as Kyrandia 1. Saving and loading works, I hadn't had any stutters or crashes.

(Kyrandia 2 has a slightly annoying thing though; you have to scroll the bottom screen a lot because if you scroll it to the top you can't see the status text at the bottom, and if you scroll it to the bottom you can't exit screens upward because the pointer doesn't go far up enough.)
Garcimak

Post by Garcimak »

Vlcice wrote: The floppy version has voice acting through the intro, but not through the rest of the game.
Thanks for the info, what a pity for that :( .. still not found a dos version ..yet but maybe i'll wait for cd support, or continue playing with an earlier version then.
Vlcice

Post by Vlcice »

I've been doing some more testing of Inherit the Earth, like you were requesting. In testing the floppy version, I've unfortunately come across a freezing bug - saving the game on the opening screen causes the game to freeze up. Saving the game on other screens appears to work properly, and returning to the opening screen (when it is empty of background characters) allows the game to be saved there properly.

When the game has frozen, the mouse cursor can still be moved and the image remains onscreen, but the music begins skipping and it is impossible to select any other options; the "Save" button also remains held down, whether or not the cursor is moved away from it. The DS face buttons and start/select buttons stop functioning, along with the d-pad, but the L/R buttons can still be used to scroll the two screens.

Edit: Although I could replicate it consistently before, it's no longer happening to me now. Maybe it has random freezing on saving and I just hadn't seen it yet on any other screens.

In addition, some lines from the spoken dialogue in the intro do not play. Which line it is appears to be somewhat random, and sometimes no lines at all are skipped; however, the only lines I've seen skipped are by the boar captain. One line that was skipped twice:

- "As much as I hate to admit, there is much to what the Elk Captain has said. Without the Orb we will not know when the rains will come."

The third time I tested, however, this line played properly. I didn't change any settings during the course of this testing.
tomten

Re: Please help! ScummVM DS 0.12.0 beta4 corrected!

Post by tomten »

agentq wrote:I'm espcially interested in people who want to test
LOTT still has freezing issues. I got a freeze in the dungeon in the beginning, when performing some action on something. Saving and loading still works.

Does Kyrandia 3 start at all for others? I'm testing the DOS version, and got tired after waiting ~2 minutes for it to start (DS-Xtreme).
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

@vlcice: Hmm. It seems like this game could still be running out of memory. I'll see what can be done about that.

@tomten: Can you repeat the crash in the dungeon? I played through the first section of the game several times with no problems, so it may be something specific to the action you were performing.