Dracula, the vampire strikes back

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

superfighter

Dracula, the vampire strikes back

Post by superfighter »

just downloaded the freeware version off this site
ran it on the newest version of Scumm
works fine until i try to save, just boots back to the pc screen, is this a regular problem?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Dracula, the vampire strikes back

Post by eriktorbjorn »

superfighter wrote:just downloaded the freeware version off this site
ran it on the newest version of Scumm
works fine until i try to save, just boots back to the pc screen, is this a regular problem?
By newest, do you mean 0.12.0 or an SVN snapshot? I can get the development version of ScummVM to crash, if the Save Path setting is invalid, but I don't know if that's what's causing problems for you.
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

the latest one thats been posted, 0.12.0 in the downloads section on here, all the relevent files are in there, including the dat. Oddly enough also does the same thing in the latest wii version too, crashes as soon as i try to load up the save screen, boots back to the homebrew channel :?
SiRoCs

Post by SiRoCs »

Hi!

I tried the freeware version in 0.12 release and it does work well, including the save/load menu. By the way, I'm playing the spanish version, but also tried english and it doesn't cause any problem at all. The only thing I noticed is that when saving, the console window throws a warning that states the following:

WARNING: playFile: Could not open s99.als!

But apart from that, it saves/load correctly.

Another thing: I noticed that the original version of the game (spanish version) has 31 audio tracks, being the last one (track31) a funny song with lyrics in english. The freeware version has only 30 tracks. Was that track 31 a hidden/bonus track or something?
Yohein

Post by Yohein »

I've only noticed one problem with the music so far.In the Spanish version, when the drunkard tells you the story of Von Braun, he starts singing (it's track29.ogg), but the song and the whole scene seem to end abruptly, a few seconds earlier, so if you want to hear the end of the song you need to open the file itself with a player. In the English version it looks like there's no song at all, only subtitles, but the scene looks a bit rushed too.

Very nice work with the game, anyway.

P.S. By the way, in the Spanish version the drunkard is voiced by Emilio de Paz himself. Hilarious :P
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

SiRoCs wrote:WARNING: playFile: Could not open s99.als!
I also get these. Using the spanish version too.

But the big problem is that sometimes (I have not played more than 20min and has happened two times) you make John Hacker walk somewhere and he, instead, walks out of the screen and you lose everything since the last save.
It's a problem from the original game or from ScummVM?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

RedDwarf wrote:
SiRoCs wrote:WARNING: playFile: Could not open s99.als!
I also get these. Using the spanish version too.

But the big problem is that sometimes (I have not played more than 20min and has happened two times) you make John Hacker walk somewhere and he, instead, walks out of the screen and you lose everything since the last save.
It's a problem from the original game or from ScummVM?
Those are normal warnings, and will hopefully be fixed soon

Where did that occur? (which screen and what did you try to do)
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

md5 wrote:Where did that occur? (which screen and what did you try to do)
The first time I clicked to talk with the pianist in the first screen. The game starts, I talk with everybody, go upstairs, the girl is kidnapped, and when returning to the first screen, after talking with the drunk guy and the barman... go to talk with the pianist and the guy exists the screen through the bottom.

The second time was before arriving to the "full map" (with church, cementery and so...). There is a screen with the castle in background, a "barrel" and a house with a door. I wanted to "look" or "open" (not sure) the door and the guy one again exited through the bottom of the screen.

But the problem isn't reproducible, it's somehow random.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote: Where did that occur? (which screen and what did you try to do)
I think I had it happen to me once while trying to debug the word-wrapping crash in the German version, i.e. in the very first room when talking to the pianist. I was looking away at the time, and when I looked back the main character was gone.

Another thing that happened to me a few times was in the save/load screen, where it hung when I clicked on a save slot. Some uninitialised variable, perhaps? I haven't looked any further at it.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

RedDwarf wrote:
md5 wrote:Where did that occur? (which screen and what did you try to do)
The first time I clicked to talk with the pianist in the first screen. The game starts, I talk with everybody, go upstairs, the girl is kidnapped, and when returning to the first screen, after talking with the drunk guy and the barman... go to talk with the pianist and the guy exists the screen through the bottom.

The second time was before arriving to the "full map" (with church, cementery and so...). There is a screen with the castle in background, a "barrel" and a house with a door. I wanted to "look" or "open" (not sure) the door and the guy one again exited through the bottom of the screen.

But the problem isn't reproducible, it's somehow random.
The problem with the pianist after BJ is kidnapped is because of a hack in the original game code used for that dialogue (the character was moved to a certain spot so that his feet wouldn't be drawn over the pianist's head). I'm not sure about the other one, will check it out