Blade Runner with Scumm?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Farang

Blade Runner with Scumm?

Post by Farang »

Hi is possible that you let scumm VM emulate Blade Runner?

Blade Runer is a great adventure.
There is just 1 Problem to start and play it out so from Winfdows. there is one place you cannot continue to play more because the enemys doesnt appear of modern cpus are to fast.
I think emulate with scumm it would work perfectly !?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ade+runner

please learn to use the searchfunction.

ps. ScummVM is not an emulator. read the documentation.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Blade Runner is a 3D adventure not a 2D adventure. It's out of scope with the ScummVM guidelines anyway.
The Spoony Hou

Post by The Spoony Hou »

No, it's 2D.
billeke

Post by billeke »

Jonatan wrote: ps. ScummVM is not an emulator. read the documentation.
scummvm is an virtual machine right. I'm curious : what's the difference between scummvm and an emulator?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

billeke wrote:
Jonatan wrote: ps. ScummVM is not an emulator. read the documentation.
scummvm is an virtual machine right. I'm curious : what's the difference between scummvm and an emulator?
It's a question that has been answered many times already

In ScummVM we aim to rewrite the game engines that run specific games from scratch, using source code provided by the companies themselves or via reverse engineering information obtained via a game's executable, thus rewriting the game engines to use ScummVM's common code and architecture, which in turn is adapted to run under many platforms. Of course, the data files of the game itself are still needed, ScummVM aims to replace the game's executable. This approach allows the game to be ran natively on multiple platforms without the CPU and memory requirements required for such a feat, and it allows to correct certain bugs found in the game itself.

In an actual emulator, a specific target platform is emulated. For example, in DOSBox, a DOS operating system is emulated, under which the original game executables run. In MAME, platforms used in coin-op games are emulated, which allows games that originally ran under these platforms to run under MAME itself.

Both approaches have their pros and cons, but the fact is that since each game supported is rewritten, it's a long and quite hard task to add a new game engine to ScummVM, but the end result is usually a far better and smooth experience than the original provided
billeke

Post by billeke »

thank you for your response. And I'm sorry for asking you a question that you probably have answered dozens of times:P.

now I understand why Scummvm works on low-end pc's
MusicallyInspired

The Spoony Hou wrote:No, it's 2D.
Really? I only know of (and own) this one which is 3D.
Forget_the_Rest

Post by Forget_the_Rest »

Well there was a 2D version released back in 1985 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runn ... ideo_game) but he's probably referring to the Westwood one from 1997.

Maybe he's saying it's 2D because it didn't require a 3D graphics card.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Forget_the_Rest wrote: Maybe he's saying it's 2D because it didn't require a 3D graphics card.
I assumed the backgrounds were pre-rendered at the very least. I can't remember any fancy camera movements.
clem

Post by clem »

The Spoony Hou wrote:No, it's 2D.
Actually it's 2D-backgrounds with 3D voxel characters.

edit: it didn't need a 3D gfx card - box says "16 bit gfx card with 2mb of ram" - I don't think you can do voxels using 3D cards (easily). There were camera movements, but those were full-motion video sequences for transitions between scenes (e.g. walking around a corner)
The Spoony Hou

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Yeah, I know the characters are "voxelated", but that isn't the poligonal 3D of today. To the videocards it's a 2D image.
clem

Post by clem »

The Spoony Hou wrote:Yeah, I know the characters are "voxelated", but that isn't the poligonal 3D of today. To the videocards it's a 2D image.
By that logic, any game which does 3D (whether polygons or voxels) in software would be a 2D game (even residual?).
MusicallyInspired

I think by "2D" they'd mean "sprites."
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I was wondering if someone could explain voxels to me?
I looked it up on wiki and I couldn't understand what exactly it is. What I understood is its a 2d plane/sprite that is morphed and has a z-plane or depth is that right or did I get it completely wrong? I've been wanting to understand this as the independent game Fez uses a variation of voxels but I didn't understand it then either.

If it's just a 2d plane that has depth isn't that what all adventure games use to go in front or behind items in a 2d room?

(I'm not really bothered about Blade Runner I never played the game and I've never seen the film)