Monkey 3 with 0.12.0 Build on HTC Diamond

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

foggypunk

Monkey 3 with 0.12.0 Build on HTC Diamond

Post by foggypunk »

I have a problem with Monkey 3 on my HTC Diamond.
When I try to go to "Puerto Pollo" (the italian name of the town on the first island) ScummVM crashes saying:

ERROR: (15:2001:0xA77): Out of memory while allocating 1591386

I tried to play the game after a soft reset, with the most free space of the memory possible, also deactivating TouchFlo 3D...but nothing

What can I do? Thanks a lot

ScummVM version: 0.12.0
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

If you have already closed all other tasks and there is still not enough memory free you can´t do nothing else. It is not possible to upgrade your HTC memory or to free more memory.
You could only try to test a plugin build of ScummVM which does not load all engines into memory at start because it only loads the engine which is needed dynamically. This could free some extra memory but I don´t know if this is enough so there is quite the chance that it still won´t work.
Wolf7

Post by Wolf7 »

Hi,
I have the same problem with Monkey3 in my HTC Diamond.

Where can I find the plugin you talked about?

Thanks,
Marco
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

It´s not an additional plugin, it´s a complete different variant how ScummVM is compiled.
It means that the main EXE is much smaller then the EXE of a static compiled ScummVM because all engines are outsourced into extra plugin DLLs. The advantage is that only the engine is loaded which is needed by the actual chosen game and that spares some memory.
I uploaded a plugin version on here on Rapidshare some time ago which you could use for a test. But it still can be that the game is not playable on your device because of to less memory.
Wolf7

Post by Wolf7 »

Thank you :)
I will try it soon.

Marco
Wolf7

Post by Wolf7 »

It says that ScummVM is not a valid Pocket PC application :(

Marco
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

Read this topic regarding HTC and WM6.x.
Wolf7

Post by Wolf7 »

I've read that topic but it doesn't help me.

The official release Windows CE ARM (both v. 11 and 12) works perfectly on my WM6.1;
in that topic, instead, rab has problems to run either the v11 and the v12 emulator.

I've problem only to your dynamic-compiled version :(

Marco
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

That seems also to be a WM6.x problem since these binaries are running fine on WM5 and other WinCE based OS versions.
There are also sometimes some other problems on WM6.x like not recognizing games on WM6.1.
ping79

Post by ping79 »

could it be that the huge amount of memory of the new devices provocate a memory allocation error.

I have a HTC Touch Pro and Monkey Island 3 doesn't work either. Same error
ping79

Post by ping79 »

I tried the 0.10.0 version of scummvm

Monkey 3 seems to run better (longer). The same errror appears after the second chapter.
Alvion

Post by Alvion »

I am having a problem with MI3 on my HTC Touch Diamond.

I have mapped hide toolbar-key to vol-up, and right click to vol-down.

After a playing a while, (not long, since I haven't gotten past the first scene yet) when I'm going to show the toolbar again to save, the game just closes and jumps back to windows like nothing happened.

I'm not sure wether it's a memory fault or has something to do with the hardware keys, but I'm hoping someone else has the same problem and\or got some sort of solution to this.
Wolf7

Post by Wolf7 »

Yeah I got the same problem when I was testing MI3.
After a few click to "hide toolbar" the game closes without messages.

I think it's a bug.

Anyway MI3 in the HTC Touch Diamond is unplayable, sooner or later it crashes for memory allocation error.

Marco
Arhildur

Post by Arhildur »

Hi guys, I'm really excited now I understand that I can play Curse Of Monkey Island on my HTC Diamond....
But when i try to save the game (when I'm in the shore with Elaine's gold statue), the game crash and return to Windows....

any solution?
beowulf6

Post by beowulf6 »

Hello Everyone.

I have exactly the same problem.
The Game crashes when i sometimes opened the Soft-keyboard to save (wich i solved with setting the menu-key on a key on my hardwarekeyboard)

and the game stops with the memory error. (only opens the console, but the game seems to still run in the back and it is impossible to close the console. only key working is the quit key that i have set on my hardware keyboard)

it can not be a problem with not enough memory, because the raphael have a lot memory and did never drop under 100mb free for me.

also the game worked on the herald that often drops under 20mb free ram, and has only a 200 mhz Omap CPU.