SCI for ScummVM? Any news from the GSoC student and FreeSCI?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

timofonic

SCI for ScummVM? Any news from the GSoC student and FreeSCI?

Post by timofonic »

Hello.

I was very happy when the GSoC slot for porting SCI (not merging it, it will stay in a separate source code repository) to the ScummVM infraestructure so people will benefit the portability and the GUI of it.

I see the latest blog entry on scummsci.blogspot.com is from 3 August. No news from it's mentor or the FreeSCI project members.

Do will the code be merged into FreeSCI code repository? Has been the review of his work be positive? What about some blog update explaining all this to us the mere users?

Sorry if people are busy with Holydays and such, just I'm worried about this as it would be a very good thing for both projects. ScummVM could win a new game engine (even if being somewhat external) and FreeSCI will win the portability and GUI of it, having more visibility and availability to a lot more different platforms.

Regards.
zorbid

Re: SCI for ScummVM? Any news from the GSoC student and Free

Post by zorbid »

No idea either. The TFMX guy (Marwan) has been silent for a while too.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The coding phase of GSoC ended August 18, at which date every student had to put the "pencils down". Hence no recent commits.

Also, some of our students have been a bit sloppy when it comes to providing regular blog updates, which is why those blogs have not been updated for some time even before the pencils down.

We are right now in the evaluation phase of the GSoC projects, which will end September 2, 19:00 UTC. After that, we can comment in detail on those projects.

In any case, if you want to know whether the FreeSCI people will merge the code from Sami's project: Don't ask here, ask the FreeSCI folks, this is completely up to them to decide, obviously. :)
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

So . . . what's the scoop on the GSOC projects? I'd love to hear the roundup from the official ScummVM developers. Now that the cone of silence is lifted, what can you tell us?
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Hmm . . . any thoughts on the FREESCI project at least?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Very rough sketch of things:

* The TFMX project was a clear failure, sadly.

* The RTL ("return to launcher", plus many many more improvements) project was a success and has already been integrated into SVN.

* The "virtual keyboard" was a success, too, and is next up for integration. But since we are in the middle of a major overhaul of some core components of ScummVM, it'll have to wait a bit. Before it can be integrated, various changes are needed anyway, and Stephen (the student behind the project) wanted to do some extra work on it, too (out of goodwill; GSoC coding phase is already over, after all)

* The "new GUI" project was a success, and will be integrated after the vkeybd one. Tanoku, the student behhind it, is also still doing good work on it.

* Buddha's project was to work on the CINE engine, and that has been a success, too; his changes are already in trunk, and I think he'll do more work, too (he was with us since GSoC 2007 already, so I have high hopes).

* Lastly, the FreeSCI integration project. Well, I am unsure about this. We let the project pass. But the student sadly is quite bad at communication. I asked him to post a final blog update, he never did. I think there is still lots and lots to do, but that's not his fault; FreeSCI and ScummVM are *very* different internally. Anyway, the project is done, the GSoC coding phase is over, so don't expect further updates on that. While he said he wanted to some extra work, based on my experience and his track record, I am rather sceptical. Whether his code will ever be integrated is not up to us, anyway, this is a matter for the FreeSCI guys, and Jordi Vialta, who is a member of both teams.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Sad to hear that the TFMX project was a failure :( I would have liked to play the Amiga version of Monkey Island with the proper music. Not a big deal, though, since I also own the DOS CD version of the game.

But yay for the other things :) Look forward to see how the virtual keyboard works.
Last edited by Freddo on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Fingolfin, thanks for the reply. What about posting it on your blog? Then it could be showed on your planet too :)

I hope FreeSCI for being usable as a ScummVM engine finalle happens. It's sad szerrade is quite bad at communication, didn't he explained the reasons of that?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

My blog (should I ever decide to use it) is for personal stuff, not for ScummVM news. For that, we have the ScummVM news ;) and also this forum. :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

fingolfin wrote:My blog (should I ever decide to use it) is for personal stuff, not for ScummVM news. For that, we have the ScummVM news ;) and also this forum. :)
Ok :)
HelixNRG

SCI in SCUMMVM

Post by HelixNRG »

I'm hoping SCI will appear in SCUMMVM, because the new version of FreeSCI built for OS X seems to work only for Intel Macs running Leopard. The developer of FreeSCI no longer has access to testing to a PPC based Mac. I don't wish to upgrade my antiquated Dual G5 just to play 20 year old Sierra adventure games, if I can help it :-)

- Alex
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

It's certainly possible to compile FreeSCI for a PowerMac, just somebody has to do it. So, no need to wait for a very hypothetical FreeSCI-ScummVM merger to try it on your PowerMac.
Collector

Re: SCI in SCUMMVM

Post by Collector »

HelixNRG wrote:I'm hoping SCI will appear in SCUMMVM, because the new version of FreeSCI built for OS X seems to work only for Intel Macs running Leopard. The developer of FreeSCI no longer has access to testing to a PPC based Mac. I don't wish to upgrade my antiquated Dual G5 just to play 20 year old Sierra adventure games, if I can help it :-)

- Alex
Almost all SCI games run easily in DOSBox. I can't say it is true with DOSBox on a PPC, but on Windows, DOSBox handles SCI games better than Free SCI, too.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Yeah but using DosBox you loose the performance/speed that you get by using an interpreter like ScummVM or FreeSCI.

As your then running:
OS->Emulator->Interpreter->Game Scripts
rather than:
OS->Interpreter->Game Scripts
which is how the game was designed to run.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

ezekiel000 wrote:Yeah but using DosBox you loose the performance/speed that you get by using an interpreter like ScummVM or FreeSCI.

As your then running:
OS->Emulator->Interpreter->Game Scripts
rather than:
OS->Interpreter->Game Scripts
which is how the game was designed to run.
yeah, well, that may be true for newer games.. but for most older games you won't notice the speed difference, as your current computer is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster as your old computer at that time was..
But I also rather have Scummvm being able to SCI games (or any other game), because it propably works much better (configurationwise) as using dosbox.. a year or 2 ago I had big troubles getting dosbox to run because of all the different settings, as with Scummvm it mostly comes down to selecting the game and start playing..