The LucasArts Archives

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Yuruka

The LucasArts Archives

Post by Yuruka »

Hey I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum/subforum but just bear with me

~~~~~~~

I'm looking for the LucasArts Archives, they made about 5 or 4 I think, and I can't find them Anywhere!

It's really annoying ]=

I checked ebay and only found volume 2 (the one with star wars) and that was about £30 ($60 rounded) but I don't want volume 2. I want all the point'n'click ones like Monkey Island and others...

Does anyone know any sites I could look on?

Thanks.

~Sam
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

when it appears on eBay it is extremely expensive. Amazon also sometimes has copies for sale through its marketplace, but they typically are even more expensive than amazon. In the US this pack is not available new from any retailers at this point, so auction and second hand stores are your only options.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Just to add my data point, I recently bought the third Archives (Monkey Island 1-2, The Dig, Full Throttle, Afterlife and Star Wars: Dark Forces) on an auction site for slightly less than $30 (shipping not included). But I think I got lucky. In the past, whenever I've seen it, it's been more expensive than that.
Yuruka

Post by Yuruka »

Hmmm...

Well I can get them separately for typically around $10, no kidding. Full CD's.

But I already have copies.

Well I guess I'll just have to keep looking around then.

If anyone finds anything post the link here, I bookmarked the page.

~S
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

eriktorbjorn wrote:But I think I got lucky. In the past, whenever I've seen it, it's been more expensive than that.
I would say you did get lucky. I actually had this collection first, and then had to go hunt down the originals. I wasn't happy with the fact I didn't get all the nice cd jewelcase art and such with the collection.
Last edited by scoriae on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Try Amazon.co.uk and search for 'monkey island' or any title you'd like, I see enough titles for not much.. but there may be a restriction for delivery to a specified country..

But looking at amazon.com you should also be able to get a lot for not much.. maybe a bit more than $10, but then again most games aren't produced anymore so they are 'collectibles'
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

Unfortunately, I haven't been so lucky. I snagged both the archives and the classics collection on ebay for $80 each (okay $60 for the classics, but still pretty expensive). That's the lowest I've seen them, the price seems to go up rapidly. It's not just these, though. When sellers discover that their games are compatible with ScummVm, they find that as an excuse to jack up the price. Some guy wanted over $100 for I Have No Mouth and I must Scream. Zak FM Towns is $1,000. The best deal I've ever had was Future Wars for $8 new on Amazon the other day.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

skotafactor wrote:Zak FM Towns is $1,000.
The most expensive one I've seen was EUR 599, and that's been for sale for ages. I guess no one's willing to pay that much. Before that, the most expensive game I had ever seen was EUR 350 for the TRS-80 version of Zork. Same seller, and still no bidders. :)
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

My mistake. It translates to over $800 USD, which is still crazy. Ebay and Amazon are always hit or miss (most of the time miss). It's like these people have no souls.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

skotafactor wrote:My mistake. It translates to over $800 USD, which is still crazy. Ebay and Amazon are always hit or miss (most of the time miss). It's like these people have no souls.
If you add his shipping cost to outside Europe, I guess it does come close to $1,000 after all. :)
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
skotafactor wrote:My mistake. It translates to over $800 USD, which is still crazy. Ebay and Amazon are always hit or miss (most of the time miss). It's like these people have no souls.
If you add his shipping cost to outside Europe, I guess it does come close to $1,000 after all. :)
uhm, if you have to pay $200 for shipping into/outside europe then you are an idiot, as $20 is the most (and that's for secured shipping, non-secured shipping is about $3-4). BUT some people use those kinds of high prices for shipping because e-bay only wants a percentage over the selling price, not the shipping, and with such high prices for shipping, the seller makes a bundle of money.. I would say unless you reaaaaaally want to, stay away from people who do business like that...
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

Just give it time :wink:
Yuruka

Post by Yuruka »

Wow.

Who wants to make a guess at how high it's going to go?

;)
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

I picked up the Archives Vol. 1 many, many years ago. Sam & Max, DOTT, and Fate of Atlantis, if memory serves. (I've still only got around to playing DOTT. How naughty of me.)

The one in that auction is, of course, the LucasArts Classic Adventures collection, which is entirely different. I used to have that one too, before I lent it back to the person I bought it from. :oops: I think there are two sub-versions: one with a manual with a black and white cover, and another with a manual with a full-color cover.

There was also that other bundle that used to be available from the LucasArts store, and came in the special LucasArts CD caddy. It did not have an official name, but I think it had the same contents as Vol 1.

Archives Vol. 4 was another collection of Star Wars games, but I forget which ones.