SVN Build updated

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bojan1986

Post by bojan1986 »

i tried comi out on n80. i had to make a lot of free ram, around 18-20 rams, but its playable!!! there are some speed issues ad sometimes it crashes but still playable!!
you are awsome anotherguest!! keep up the good work!!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Internal screen of the E90 is 800x352 so when stretched I'm rendering to 640x352 only to not make the performance go down to much. Its not that much black anyway. ;-)
starkmjolk

Post by starkmjolk »

Anotherguest wrote:Internal screen of the E90 is 800x352 so when stretched I'm rendering to 640x352 only to not make the performance go down to much. Its not that much black anyway. ;-)
I see.

I don't know the inner workings so can't tell what would drain more performance or less, but Guybrush sure isn't as thin as I remembered him. :)

Would the E90 crumble and die a gruesome death if you set it to render the full scene in 470x352 with correct aspect?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

The game is in 640x480 so regardless it does not fit full screen on the E90. The E90 resolution is 800x352, but not sure what resolution you get on the E90.
starkmjolk

Post by starkmjolk »

Anotherguest wrote:The game is in 640x480 so regardless it does not fit full screen on the E90. The E90 resolution is 800x352, but not sure what resolution you get on the E90.
I know it won't fit unscaled, too bad the monkey island games never came in widescreen. ;)

Right now it does scale the height down from 480 to 352 when I push Ctrl+4, but seem to stretch the 640 pixels over the full 800 just as you said in your first post. It works alright and looks pretty decent. I just think it could be improved.

I do understand there is more than one target platform for scummvm, but the E90 is really turning into a great gaming device thanks to you guys. :)

Downscaling in both height and width will lower the quality, but might still look good. As a first step, just removing the black lines would be a start. 640x352 would still make everyone look a bit fatter, but not as much as when it is stretched over the whole screen. Black areas are acceptable for 4:3 content on a 2.27:1 screen. :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hehe people don't really like blackbars, thats the most common preference. but true.. upscaling to 800 when resolution is 640.. I guess.. 640 is more than enough :-)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

So now I have fixed 1-1 VGA mode in no flipped. So there should always be a picture. Also fixed a small drag problem with the cursor on UIQ3.

So as usual.. updated prerelease:
http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds/scu ... v3_all.sis
and
http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds/scu ... Q3_all.sis

still wierd stretching on E90 though. :-)

EDIT:
Wiered stretching in VGA for E90 should now be fixed. Max 640x352, and no stretching up to 800 with black lines.
starkmjolk

Post by starkmjolk »

The new version looks much more pretty I think, thanks anotherguest!

Scaling down the width for correct aspect would make the picture rather tiny. Might not be worth it. I can always go to the nonscaled version and use Ctrl+Up/Down to see the game in all its glory. :)

Still quite a few crashes here and there, but boy am I impressed. Keep it up!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

How is the speed for COMI on the E90? Is it like running any thing near like smooth or? I'm like getting 20 fps on the movie sequences on my 6120. But the display is larger on the E90 and the CPU is slower. :-)
goetz

Post by goetz »

Now a more extensive bugerport for Comi (German version) on Nokia E51 with the latest svn build.

Overall, it runs quite well, both with videos and speech and without video and speech data. Here are my findings so far:
  • Speech: The ScummVM option "subtitles only" does not seem to have effect -- speech (voices) is always there.

Zone key: Well, it moves only in the upper left quadrant somewhere, but it is still useful to leave the inventory box. ;)

Crashes: There are some crashes. Especially in the voodoo shop. After picking up the glue and the pin (short cut scene after that one), the game frequently crashes in this room. Even after leaving the room and coming back to this room and even after saving the game, restarting ScummVM and coming back to this room. There seems to be a problem with these two objects in this room. According to Nokia Energy Profiler, there are still about 50MByte RAM free when ScummVM crashes. Maybe an internal ScummVM memory limit could be the problem?
Anotherguest, I hope this report helps you to develop this port further. It is already very nice and I would not like to miss it. If you have a problem to reproduce the bug I mentioned or need more details, please let me know.

Best regards, Goetz
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Perhaps I should create a new build with even larger heap pre allocation. Right now its only 6 mb then its ment to grow when needed. Of course all crashes is probably not due to lack of memory issues, but might have other causes.
murgo

Post by murgo »

Curse of Monkey Island seems to work just fine with Nokia E71, no noticeable lagging or anything. Cutscenes work like a charm. Only thing is that the font gets a bit hard to read when it's downscaled to 320x240.

One feature request: customizable hotkeys for each game. Now if you assign one key from qwerty to save/load or character switch or whatever, the key loses its original purpose in all games. This is annoying when playing AGI games, because you have to unbind all custom keys to be able to type text normally.

One odd thing is that launching The Legend of Kyrandia, it takes forever to load ít (61 seconds, I clocked it :P), while even Curse of Monkey Island and Full Throttle start up well under 5 seconds.

Sam & Max crashes a lot, seems to be quite random and can't find any specific thing to reproduce this.

Also, it would be nice to have volume bound into phone's built-in volume keys, or at least be able to bind something into them.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

For Kyra there is a fix in the works, not sure if it goes in to the 0.12.0 build or not, but it really seems to be needed.
xImtc

Post by xImtc »

I have read this thread and seen discussion odd COMI and am sure the answer is here, but I apologize I cannot figure it out.

I am totally new to SCUMMVM and to my E71; it is the first symbian device I have used. My question is this: on my PC, I press F1 to get to the menu and then click "save" to save my game. However, I cannot figure out what combination of keys to press to get to that menu on my phone. Or is there some other mechanism I should be using. Otherwise, the first few minutes at least seem to work great!

Thanks!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

You could always try the ScummVM WIKI which most people forget. Otherwise. '*' will do the trick.