Sam & Max\DOTT monster.sou files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

meowfood

Sam & Max\DOTT monster.sou files

Post by meowfood »

So I know this question has been asked before, but none of the threads seem to solve the problem for me.

So I've downloaded the latest version of ScummVM, and the versions of DOTT and Sam and Max that I have should have speech... and yes, the monster.sou/monster.sog/monster.so3 files are all there.
BUT, for some reason, the voices will only work in the cut-scenes and not during in-game. All options are switched to "Speech Only" and still, no voices during the game.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has the same problem and had figured out a way to fix it? Or am I better off just re-downloading ScummVM again, and hope it'll work the 2nd time around?

Thanks in advance!
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Do you have the CD or floppy versions of DOTT and Sam & Max?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah, I was surprised at this. Originally when we played the disk version of DOTT at home it didn't ahve any digital sounds whatsoever. It wasn't until we got the CD version that all these wonderful voices and sound effects came alive. Just a while ago I dug out the old disk version and noticed that there were voices in the cut scenes as well as sound effects and thought it was a glitch in ScummVM running the C version instead. I had no idea there were voices in the disk version. Took me off guard.

That's probably what you've got here; the disk version.
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

AFAIK there are only sounds in the disk version during the intro only for both games.

How big are the monster.sou/monster.sog/monster.so3 files?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Threads like this always make me belive they downloaded the game.

If they bought it they would know if the game was on floppies or a CD. They would also most likely been playing the game in the past and know if there was sound or not.

And they would probably not deal with multiple monster.* files either.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Quite true.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Not necessarily. I wasn't so sure when I first installed my DOTT. I just got my first PC and it was one of my first games on it. And keep in mind that there were even PCs without a soundcards, or maybe Adlib only, etc.. In fact, the first addition I bought was the CD drive, soundcard came second. Thus I can understand the surprise when someone notices the floppy version actually has sounds and some speech.