since noth can't be supported here are others

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

db92

since noth can't be supported here are others

Post by db92 »

well, you told me noth couldnt be made, so here are two other games:

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive:
The good ol' classic game, no 3d engine, in complete 2d.. however i think we'll have a problem with it, since desperados 2 is coming out in 2006 and it will be still under copyright.. i presume there will be a problem with getting source code...

Red Alert 1-2:
The perfect Westwood Studios RTS games, i might as well get the code cuz i knew someone in westwood, at least for the 1st that is....
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

I suggest you stop making suggestions.
db92

Post by db92 »

and i would suggest taking me a bit more seriously :) my over postingness and my overtalkingness doesnt change the fact that such games are wanted... :) now if scummvm can support them in future versions that is another thing.......
cappuchok

Re: since noth can't be supported here are others

Post by cappuchok »

db92 wrote:Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive:
The good ol' classic game, no 3d engine, in complete 2d.. however i think we'll have a problem with it, since desperados 2 is coming out in 2006 and it will be still under copyright.. i presume there will be a problem with getting source code...
Not a point-and-klick adventure = not a chance. Besides, Infogrames (Atari, they call themselves these days :roll: ) is the copyright owner, and I don't think they've ever released anything for free, ever. I am only guessing but as they seem to be the current rights-holder of Discworld 3, that might be why the third game isn't included in the currently planned Discworld engine (that, plus it's partly in 3D).
db92 wrote:Red Alert 1-2:
The perfect Westwood Studios RTS games, i might as well get the code cuz i knew someone in westwood, at least for the 1st that is....
Electronic Arts owns the copyrights and the franchises are still very much alive, aside from being RTS and thus not within the scope of ScummVM. As you have probably seen on the Wiki, Westwood also made a few adventure games which are within ScummVM's scope, and the ScummVM team has already established contact with Electronic Arts and the old Westwood team.
dark_inchworm

Post by dark_inchworm »

joostp wrote:I suggest you stop making suggestions.
Harsh, but fitting. And funny.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

db92 wrote:and i would suggest taking me a bit more seriously :) my over postingness and my overtalkingness doesnt change the fact that such games are wanted... :) now if scummvm can support them in future versions that is another thing.......
Taking you seriously? Why? You seem to have no clue about what ScummVM is (going by your game suggestions: Simon3d? Snatcher? Red Alert?!), the amount of work involved in adding support for a new game, even if source is available (going by the amount of suggestions you make), and obviously not what drives people to work on free software (which, incidentally is NOT to please other people, which you seem to think).

All engines and supported games in ScummVM are there because someone/some people wanted to work on them, not because someone else requested it.

Do you really think anyone would spend MONTHS of their free time on a request, doing (mostly) tedious labour without getting paid just because other people would like to play these games? I think that's a very rude thing to ask of someone!
db92

Post by db92 »

• 1)i ask, i do not force nor demand
    2)i am totally obsessed with such games, leading to unnecessary posting sometimes, sorry about this post just remove it
    3)if scummvm wasnt made to please other ppl what is it's actual purpose huh?
    4)some requests, such as some others i had in mind that are actually point and click adventure games, are actually ported to scummvm so it's not so bad after all if i make proper suggestions(going back to no2)
many ppl call me immature, not that i can blame them whatsoever, however im lead to such actions most of times by actions and stuff that come from my personal life as well..
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

db92 wrote:and i would suggest taking me a bit more seriously
Oh, finally a serious deal here. No sarcasm. I'm promise, and can be bound by a contract or something that I will add support for either of 2 above games when paid by equivalent of 20,000 USD. No jokes here, and I'm really able to do the job.

Eugene
db92

Post by db92 »

1) i only pay in EUR currency and
2)if i were to pay such a thing, i would just pay another experienced guy to do that, ur waaay too expensive
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

db92 wrote: 3)if scummvm wasnt made to please other ppl what is it's actual purpose huh?
I'm just speaking for myself now, but pleasing others comes 2nd to pleasing myself (ofcourse one doesn't rule out the other).
Whenever I work on something it's because it's something I want to use myself and not because I owe anyone anything.
Others being able to enjoy it (sometimes with some extra work) is a nice extra.
db92 wrote: 4)some requests, such as some others i had in mind that are actually point and click adventure games, are actually ported to scummvm so it's not so bad after all if i make proper suggestions(going back to no2)
Uhm... which games are that?
Last edited by joostp on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

db92 wrote:1) i only pay in EUR currency and
Okay. I agree to 16K EUR.
db92 wrote: 2)if i were to pay such a thing, i would just pay another experienced guy to do that, ur waaay too expensive
Well, it will take about a half year of full time work. I need to eat and feed my children. And if you have someone else capable of doing this, you may interest him with the idea. If he will be a core of the team, I think there will be people who will join him.

Eugene
Last edited by sev on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

db92 wrote:1)i ask, i do not force nor demand
See the ScummVM FAQ question 1.5.
db92 wrote:3)if scummvm wasnt made to please other ppl what is it's actual purpose huh?
To play 2D point-and-click adventures that the developers have an interest in playing themselves, on a wide variety of platforms. If users from all over the world like it as well, that's a bonus.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I am sure a lot of people have a game they would like to see running on ScummVM, however the current catalogue of compatible games and indeed platforms is staggering and we should never forget that.

Plus ScummVM is heart and soul point and click adventuring so we need sensible suggestions although I think they have enough to do at the moment as it is.
clem

Post by clem »

plus there is (was?) a project which tries to play C&C (both tiberium dawn and red alert) already
db92

Post by db92 »

never heard of anything like that....