Little Big Adventure (patch included)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mattn

Little Big Adventure (patch included)

Post by mattn »

Hi,

I've started to add the LBA engine to scummvm. I've used the twin-e project and now I'm trying to get it into scummvm to support more plattforms and get better support for it. You can already download a patch from http://mattn.ninex.info/patches/relentless.diff

It would be nice if some of you could test (and maybe improve it). Currently the language is set to english, though the engine should support every language the game was delievered in. Feedback is welcome. Happy testing.

PS. Might still be a little unstable ;)
siggie

Post by siggie »

Sweet ! Gotta see if I still have the first LBA. Are both the cd and floppy version supported?
raina

Post by raina »

Stellar! I have my copy of LBA handy for when there's a build to test it with on Windows XP and Mobile.
KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Great news! Maybe the ScummVM-Team might consider adding this to the official build.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I know that there are a lot of fans of this game, but it is not quite in keeping with the aim of ScummVM. It is not a "point & click" adventure, but more of an arcade game with adventure elements. I wouldn't mind its inclusion, I rather enjoyed the 2nd game, but wonder if it would be accepted into the ScummVM project.
clem

Post by clem »

Collector wrote:It is not a "point & click" adventure, but more of an arcade game with adventure elements.
If you consider the graphics engine (2d backgrounds, 3d costumes/objects) and the input method (keyboard/joypad, but no mouse if I recall correctly?) then it'd fit into for residual :)
fac

Post by fac »

clem wrote:
Collector wrote:It is not a "point & click" adventure, but more of an arcade game with adventure elements.
If you consider the graphics engine (2d backgrounds, 3d costumes/objects) and the input method (keyboard/joypad, but no mouse if I recall correctly?) then it'd fit into for residual :)

I'm just a typical ScummVM user, but i always thought residual was a single engine program for GF and eventually EMI.

On the other hand, ScummVM is now more than it was suppoused to be. In ScummVM's webpage, we can read the following:
"ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files."
I think the term "point-and-click" shouldn't be there anymore. And why? Because many of the supported games aren't "point-and-click" adventure games (for example: most AGI games).

Even with this change, LBA is an action-adventure game, not an adventure game. So, i won't give my opinion about LBA inclusion because:
1) i know very little of C/C++ and can't help improving ScummVM;
2) this is a decision for the Project Leaders;
arepo

Post by arepo »

why wouldnt you compile your engine to windows program so that everyone could give it a try? :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Sorry folks, but LBA does not fit into the scope of ScummVM in too many ways and we will not added as an official engine.

Some problems with it: It uses 3D graphics (rendered via a software shader in realtime), has a sizable arcade part, and is not a point-and-click adventure; nor is its engine support anyway due to other games (which is the reason why we e.g. support AGI Tetris -- it's merely a side effect of supporting games like Larry or SpaceQuest).
Collector

Post by Collector »

fac wrote:I think the term "point-and-click" shouldn't be there anymore. And why? Because many of the supported games aren't "point-and-click" adventure games (for example: most AGI games).
But, that is the beauty of Sarien. It adds rudimentary mouse support to AGI games. Besides, Most of the AGI games are pure adventure games. They were the precursors of some of the best known and best loved "Point & Click" adventure games.
raina

Post by raina »

Didn't even stop to think LBA wouldn't necessarily be in ScummVM's scope. My thoughts went more along the lines of

"Nice, but there's already LbaWin."

"Yeah, but that's Win only, having LBA with ScummVM's platform coverage would be sweet."

I've previously rummaged through the audio side of LBA (mainly ripping the MIDI tracks and extracting and fixing the audio tracks from the less than perfectly mastered CD). I know the game pretty well and like it very much so I was excited learn about a project that's so close to my own interests. Never mind if it'll end up in ScummVM, Residual or something else, it'd be nice to contribute something. LBA for the masses.
marticus

Post by marticus »

As mentioned earlier, it might be within the scope of residual.

I've been hoping for a LBA3, but getting to replay the previous 2 would still be nice :)
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

I would really like to see LBA running on Linux, using the ScummVM engine. But I also think that it wouldn't fit into the main ScummVM trunk.

That's why somebody should take ScummVM, create a new project based on it (i.e. "GameVM" or whatever) and gather all the hard work people do by creating engines for ScummVM that are not included in the main trunk. The GPL was created exactly for that purpose.

I, for one, would love to see such a project become reality (although it would be quite a lot of work keeping up with the recent OSystem changes for example)

-Darkstar
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Dark-Star wrote:That's why somebody should take ScummVM, create a new project based on it (i.e. "GameVM" or whatever) and gather all the hard work people do by creating engines for ScummVM that are not included in the main trunk. The GPL was created exactly for that purpose.
I think in the course of the years, the main purpose of scummvm has changed from adventure-only to other gametypes.. And with that, who cares if a specific game isn't a 'real' adventuregame, if a developer is interested in doing a plugin for that specific game it's only to the benefit of the whole community.. There's nothing better than having one 'frontend/engine' for all your (old) games for almost any platform you can think of..
So if someone is willing to add LBA to scummvm, just let him/her..
clem

Post by clem »

SuperDre wrote:And with that, who cares if a specific game isn't a 'real' adventuregame, if a developer is interested in doing a plugin for that specific game it's only to the benefit of the whole community.
The people who are in charge of ScummVM care.

Using that argumentation I could request a DOOM engine to be put into the Linux kernel because "people want it" and "the scope has changed over the years"