Cant run Kyrandia 2 & 3 - scummvm cant find the game fol

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

rafi wrote:
LordHoto wrote:
rafi wrote: You sure about that? The error says I have kyra.dat version 31, where it's looking for version 28! Unless I'm missing something, it's telling me that I have a NEWER kyra.dat file than what it can work with, right??

I checked and double-checked, and I'm using the kyra.dat file found here, and it's the only one on my entire HD.

That's the right one, right?

Rafi
Actually you should have an outdated 0.12.0pre version or something. And thus the file linked there is too recent for your ScummVM version. The Mac version should usually have kyra.dat bundled in the application, so no need to worry about kyra.dat.
Hmm... I'm running 0.12.pre-1, which says it was released August 6...
Yeah it was changed in between.
rafi

Post by rafi »

LordHoto wrote:
rafi wrote:
LordHoto wrote: Actually you should have an outdated 0.12.0pre version or something. And thus the file linked there is too recent for your ScummVM version. The Mac version should usually have kyra.dat bundled in the application, so no need to worry about kyra.dat.
Hmm... I'm running 0.12.pre-1, which says it was released August 6...
Ahh... So where can I find a more recent (than 8/6) build for OS X?

-Rafi
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

rafi wrote:
LordHoto wrote:
rafi wrote: Hmm... I'm running 0.12.pre-1, which says it was released August 6...
Ahh... So where can I find a more recent (than 8/6) build for OS X?

-Rafi
You misunderstand, I think :). The snapshot of ScummVM for OS X already includes kyra.dat, you run into problems because ScummVM finds the one you downloaded yourself, instead of the one that comes included.

That said, I'll push out a new snapshot within a day or two.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Just wanted to say, that with the next snapshot the game should be properly detected as Mac version.
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

clem wrote:A specific list of the files ScummVM expects can be found on the datafiles page.

With kyra3 sometimes people forget to copy WESTWOOD.001 since that one is in a different folder. I think ScummVM expects all these files in one folder. Not sure about HoF.
Using the latest ScummVM 12.0
I also couldn't get Kyrandia 3 DOS game disc to be detected by Scumm (1 & 2 no problems) & got the same message as wulv
. So I copied over the Malcolm folder & put WESTWOOD.001 in with it & pointed Scumm to it & bingo!

Is there anyway to get ScummVM to detect the game from the original game disc? I expect the only way to do it would be to create a new game disc with just the Malcolm folder.

Do you need the two .DRV files present in the Malcolm folder?

And do you need all of the .VQA files & not just *0.VQA ? (as mentioned on the Datafiles page)
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Try pointing the Extra Path option to the root of the CD. That way, you shouldn't need to copy the westwood.001 file to your HD.
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Kaminari wrote:Try pointing the Extra Path option to the root of the CD. That way, you shouldn't need to copy the westwood.001 file to your HD.
Thanks Kaminari, but ScummVM won't use the Malcolm folder & doesn't see WESTWOOD.001 when I have the game disc in.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chas-g wrote: And do you need all of the .VQA files & not just *0.VQA ? (as mentioned on the Datafiles page)
Currently, ScummVM only uses the *0.VQA movies. The ones numbered 1 and 2 are the same movies but smaller, presumably made for slower computers.
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
chas-g wrote: And do you need all of the .VQA files & not just *0.VQA ? (as mentioned on the Datafiles page)
Currently, ScummVM only uses the *0.VQA movies. The ones numbered 1 and 2 are the same movies but smaller, presumably made for slower computers.
Thanks eriktorbjorn,

My real aim is to have my K3 game disc useable by ScummVM like all my other ScummVM friendly game cds. I can't help wondering if the Scumm engine for K3 has been done different to the other 2 Kyrandias because as I've said before the other 2 Kyrandias run fine straight from the disc!

Still for the time being carrying on with the HD. method, I've deleted all the extra .VQA files & the game still runs ok - saving 118 mb of space! But what about BENCHL.VQA ?

There still remains the question of the two .DRV files ?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

chas-g wrote: ... I can't help wondering if the Scumm engine for K3 has been done different to the other 2 Kyrandias because as I've said before the other 2 Kyrandias run fine straight from the disc!
First of all it's ScummVM engine, not Scumm engine, Scumm would never support Kyrandia 3. And second the first two games just run fine from CD, because there all files are within a single directory.
chas-g wrote: Still for the time being carrying on with the HD. method, I've deleted all the extra .VQA files & the game still runs ok - saving 118 mb of space! But what about BENCHL.VQA ?

Hm does BENCHL.VQA match *0.VQA? And is *.DRV listed on the datafiles page?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chas-g wrote: Still for the time being carrying on with the HD. method, I've deleted all the extra .VQA files & the game still runs ok - saving 118 mb of space! But what about BENCHL.VQA ?
I never managed to figure out what the BENCHL.VQA file is. If it's a movie, ScummVM doesn't know how to play it, and from what I remember it doesn't even contain any FINF (frame information) chunks. Other than that, the only VQA file I had trouble with when writing the VQA decoder was JUNG2.VQA. There's a workaround in the code so that it should be possible to play it, but - as I said before - ScummVM doesn't ever try to.

(The VQA decoder is based on this specification. I wouldn't know how to do that kind of reverse-engineering myself.)
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

LordHoto wrote:
chas-g wrote: ... I can't help wondering if the Scumm engine for K3 has been done different to the other 2 Kyrandias because as I've said before the other 2 Kyrandias run fine straight from the disc!
First of all it's ScummVM engine, not Scumm engine, Scumm would never support Kyrandia 3. And second the first two games just run fine from CD, because there all files are within a single directory.

Hm does BENCHL.VQA match *0.VQA? And is *.DRV listed on the datafiles page?

I thank you for your informative but not particularly friendly reply!

I realise that its a ScummVM engine & not a Scumm engine.
I for one make the effort to spell it correctly virtually every time unlike a lot of posts that I've seen. But slap my wrists I got lazy that time, oh dear!!!

Your other criticism saying how does BENCH.VQA match 0.VQA
Whilst I am not stupid, people sometimes seek reasurance even when it appears that the facts/solutions are staring them in the face. A simple no you don't need it would have done the job!!
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
I never managed to figure out what the BENCHL.VQA file is. If it's a movie, ScummVM doesn't know how to play it, and from what I remember it doesn't even contain any FINF (frame information) chunks. Other than that, the only VQA file I had trouble with when writing the VQA decoder was JUNG2.VQA. There's a workaround in the code so that it should be possible to play it, but - as I said before - ScummVM doesn't ever try to.

(The VQA decoder is based on this specification. I wouldn't know how to do that kind of reverse-engineering myself.)

Eriktorbjorn,

Again thanks, are you saying I should keep this file, just in case it's needed?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chas-g wrote: Again thanks, are you saying I should keep this file, just in case it's needed?
LordHoto is the maintainer for the Kyrandia engine, and I believe he wrote the list of required data files (which does not list BENCHL.VQA), so he's the voice of authority on this.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's a movie file like the other VQA files, and if it is then ScummVM is not able to play it. (Or at least it wasn't when I wrote the decoder for them. I can't check at the moment.)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

I for one make the effort to spell it correctly virtually every time unlike a lot of posts that I've seen. But slap my wrists I got lazy that time, oh dear!!!
Well actually it's just that too many people believe all the other game engines we support have some code in common with the SCUMM games, which is not true.
Whilst I am not stupid, people sometimes seek reasurance even when it appears that the facts/solutions are staring them in the face. A simple no you don't need it would have done the job!!
Well the datafiles list is not just some random file list, it's the accurate list of files needed for a game, thus I find it myself a bit strange - as in you believe that datafiles list is just a joke - to ask about if you need files not listed on the page.

Of course sometimes there *might* be errors for newly supported games, but well that's not really often the case and especially not for a after ScummVM release.
eriktorbjorn wrote:All I'm saying is that I don't think it's a movie file like the other VQA files, and if it is then ScummVM is not able to play it. (Or at least it wasn't when I wrote the decoder for them. I can't check at the moment.)
Actually it should be the movie file used by the installer to determine which VQA quality to use AFAIK.