Cant run Kyrandia 2 & 3 - scummvm cant find the game fol

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clem

Post by clem »

tectronic wrote:I have a cd-rom version of the game and also download one version from underdogs. The other games in scummvm is run perfectly. Any idea what is wrong. Please help.
forum rule #0
tectronic

Post by tectronic »

Ok then i edit my post. BUT i have the original cd-rom version of the game. So...Any usefull hints?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tectronic wrote:Ok then i edit my post. BUT i have the original cd-rom version of the game. So...Any usefull hints?
There was a recent regression where Kyrandia 3 was mis-identified in some - perhaps most - cases so that it wouldn't start. Maybe that's what you are seeing? It was fixed - I hope - about 20 hours ago, so I don't know if it's in any daily snapshot yet.
cmdrcool

Post by cmdrcool »

maybe it is still related to the problem that I had, sounds similar at least. I guess downloading the kyra.dat latest version (there are newer ones, see my last post) might help.

Just try it and tell me if it worked, please.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

cmdrcool wrote:maybe it is still related to the problem that I had, sounds similar at least. I guess downloading the kyra.dat latest version (there are newer ones, see my last post) might help.

Just try it and tell me if it worked, please.
Usually updating the ScummVM SVN version to a newer build is more useful though. (Doesn't it include the latest kyra.dat nowadays too?)
tectronic

Post by tectronic »

Yes i have the newest kyra.dat file and the latest (July.09) svn version of scummvm and also copy all the files from "malcolm" folder+ westwood.001 too. Interesting. And the problem is: When i start the game, scumm is immediately closed. No error message or anyithing, just the desktop.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tectronic wrote:Yes i have the newest kyra.dat file and the latest (July.09) svn version of scummvm and also copy all the files from "malcolm" folder+ westwood.001 too. Interesting. And the problem is: When i start the game, scumm is immediately closed. No error message or anyithing, just the desktop.
If you run ScummVM from a command prompt, it's possible that it will print some useful message to describe what goes wrong. The recently fixed regression caused ScummVM to claim that a file was missing (AUD.PAK, I believe it was) when it actually should have been able to read it from WESTWOOD.001 instead.
tectronic

Post by tectronic »

Yes!!! Thats it!! The aud.pak is missing. :shock: But this one is no exsist on the disc.

Gotcha!! I found this and lots of required files in the install directory...After the install.

Now Working Fine!!!

Thanks for the Help!!! :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tectronic wrote:Yes!!! Thats it!! The aud.pak is missing. :shock: But this one is no exsist on the disc.
If you run the original installer, it unpacks the westwood.001 files into a number of smaller files, including aud.pak. ScummVM can read either the individual files, or westwood.001 directly. ScummVM tries to identify which when the game is started.

However, there was a recent (1-2 weeks ago, I believe) regression (i.e. something that used to work, but then broke) which made ScummVM misidentify the situation, so that if it found the westwood.001 file it concluded that it shouldn't attempt to read it. That's why it's complaining that it cannot find aud.pak. Apparently no one noticed this until yesterday.

I fixed that bug (I hope) less than 24 hours ago, so if you are running ScummVM under Windows (I don't, so I can't test it) it might not yet be in the current daily snapshot, but I guess it should be in the next one.
stumptown

Post by stumptown »

I still cant get it run on my Mac. Uploaded the latest kyra.dat file and the aud.pak and the westwood.001 files and no luck. It tells me it cant find a game in the directory. Up on the latest everything, I promise. This is the only game I was really looking forward too. Thanks for any help you can send my way.
clem

Post by clem »

stumptown wrote:I still cant get it run on my Mac. Uploaded the latest kyra.dat file and the aud.pak and the westwood.001 files and no luck. It tells me it cant find a game in the directory. Up on the latest everything, I promise. This is the only game I was really looking forward too. Thanks for any help you can send my way.
This might be a stupid question, but which ScummVM version are you using?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

stumptown wrote:I still cant get it run on my Mac. Uploaded the latest kyra.dat file and the aud.pak and the westwood.001 files and no luck. It tells me it cant find a game in the directory. Up on the latest everything, I promise. This is the only game I was really looking forward too. Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Use this version:

http://worldsmainorganization.org/scumm ... macosx.dmg
stumptown

Post by stumptown »

Running version 0.11.1
clem

Post by clem »

stumptown wrote:Running version 0.11.1
You need at least 0.12.0 to run HoF and Malcolm's Revenge - they weren't included in 0.11.1 yet.
stumptown

Post by stumptown »

Ok, so I updated to the new ScummVM and that helped because now it finds a the game but when I try and start it it says " Your 'kyra.dat' file is missing an 'INDEX.K3' entry, reget a correct version from the ScummVM website". So I dowloaded the 'kyra.dat file they had on there and I get the same message. Any help? P.S. Thanks for the last posts, I felt a sudden burst of joy when I got as far I as I did.