Broken Sword I and II (DVD version)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

leandroribeiro

Broken Sword I and II (DVD version)

Post by leandroribeiro »

Hi there!

I'm both new to the forum and to ScummVM. I've switched to Linux some years ago, but I've recently missed the fun of some Adventure Games. I wanted to play Broken Sword and found out about ScummVM.

I've installed ScummVM 0.11 via YAST and tried to add BrokenSword 1 and 2 from the DVD (Sold-Out version), but I'm always told that there are no game files in the directories.

The DVD has some root files and two folders: Sword1 and Sword2. Inside those folders I have three files: Setup.exe, Setup.2 and Setup.3. Each one of these files is 350Mb in size. I have nothing more.

Is it possible to use this DVD with ScummVM? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Leandro
clem

Post by clem »

Since the files are packed you will have to run the windows installer (maybe wine will work?) and install the files to HD to get the datafiles ScummVM expects.
leandroribeiro

Post by leandroribeiro »

Well, I followed your lead and something curious happened: I installed via Wine and the game works fine! So I won't be needing ScummVM to play it. Anyway, I've noticed that a folder named ScummVM was created during installation, so I guess the game itself uses it.

Everything is working swell so far, sound, video, etc.

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

leandroribeiro wrote:Well, I followed your lead and something curious happened: I installed via Wine and the game works fine! So I won't be needing ScummVM to play it. Anyway, I've noticed that a folder named ScummVM was created during installation, so I guess the game itself uses it.
AFAIK, the sold-out versions use ScummVM. So, you're using wine to run ScummVM. It would be much easier just to get the linux version of ScummVM and run that.
leandroribeiro

Post by leandroribeiro »

I've done that and gained performance. Thanks!
leandroribeiro

Post by leandroribeiro »

Just one problem arises from using ScummVM instead of Wine: the cutscenes!

Now I don't have cutscenes. I know of the old problem and of the DXA alternative, but this SoldOut version comes with .mp2 and .ogg videos, so it should work.

Any idea whys is this happening? :|

Thanks,
Leandro
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

hae you set the Extras path in tha Paths tab in ScummVM -> Edit Game to the folder with the cutscenes?
leandroribeiro

Post by leandroribeiro »

Yes, I've done that with no luck :(
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Hmm is it possible you didn't compile with the flags for MP2 and Ogg enabled?
clem

Post by clem »

If you want to give the (lossless video compression!) dxa versions of the cutscenes a try, they're available at the download page.
leandroribeiro

Post by leandroribeiro »

Hmm is it possible you didn't compile with the flags for MP2 and Ogg enabled?
I didn't compile it: I installed ScummVM with Yast. Maybe that's it.

I'll try to compile it myself to see if there is any difference.
leandroribeiro

Post by leandroribeiro »

Anyway: the cutscenes work if I use the DXA ones. I think I'll stick to it unless I run into other game that requires mp2. Since I don't play much, I'll leave re-compile ScummVM to another time.

Thanks to you all for your help.
clem

Post by clem »

leandroribeiro wrote:Anyway: the cutscenes work if I use the DXA ones. I think I'll stick to it unless I run into other game that requires mp2. Since I don't play much, I'll leave re-compile ScummVM to another time.
Broken Sword 1 and 2 are the only games requiring mpeg2 support.