About support for other games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Garden Dwarf

About support for other games

Post by Garden Dwarf »

Hello,

I am not aware of the functionalities of ScummVM, but I have a question :
Is it planned for ScummVM to support other games (more than the actual big list) ?

Well, I found by example an old game which can be classified in the abandonware category : Dungeon Master (DM, DM2, and so on, as well as the "Eye of the Beholder" series). This was - and is for me - a must have game offering plenty of fun. This game has been ported a lot of time on a lot of platforms (OS). So is it possible to port it to ScummVM ? I think that a lot of people will enjoy it. I have an iPhone, and there is no port of that game on it, so because ScummVM is a cross-platform wonderfull tool, I just wonder if it is possible...

Thanks in advance for your answer ;)
Collector

Re: About support for other games

Post by Collector »

Garden Dwarf wrote:...abandonware category
Oh, oh.
Garden Dwarf

Post by Garden Dwarf »

What kind of "Ho-ho" ?
Ho-ho, what a good idea to port ?
Or Ho-ho, what a stupid guy/idea ?
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

Garden Dwarf wrote:What kind of "Ho-ho" ?
Not Ho-Ho, Oh Oh!

It's one of the recurring problems of this project that people ask about pirated stuff or abandonware because they think this is about "cracking" or "hacking" games to work again. Technically Abandonware is software piracy that nobody cares about anymore because the claims have been abandoned but it's illegal nonetheless. What Collector probably meant was that it's not recommended to use these semi-legal games and that you should get a legitimate copy of it. Most discussions on that topic are closed immediately and you should re-phrase your request so it isn't classified as one of these "I have a abandonware game that I want to play"-type of threads.
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

In the case of Dungeon Master, it is possible to play a modern remake of the series, but unfortunately I believe it requires Windows in order to play.

That said, it and further information on fan-remakes/clones etc for Dungeon Master can be found at http://www.dungeon-master.com/

I would also suggest that these games are strongly out of context for ScummVM; it concentrates on adventure games such as those produced by LucasArts, rather than role-play type games such as the DM series or the EOB series.
Garden Dwarf

Post by Garden Dwarf »

Wow, ok, ok, keep quiet !

How can you speak about hack, crack, pirated stuff ? I believe you don't know much about this game. It has been re-writed by fans and ported to different platforms in different languages. For sure, something has been taken from the original game - at least the concept -, but in this case all has been rewriten. And I don't believe than someone producing a first-person-shooter would pay anything to the concept inventor.

However the answer is clear, I won't expect something. Sorry for posting about this (*cough* *cough*) sensible subject.

And about the "recurring problem", you certainly know that developing a program for everybody (I mean : people without any knowledge in this domain) will make people asking "stupid" questions. Don't be angry. Accept it or search another job.

Thanks for reading and answering.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Garden Dwarf wrote:And about the "recurring problem", you certainly know that developing a program for everybody (I mean : people without any knowledge in this domain) will make people asking "stupid" questions. Don't be angry. Accept it or search another job.
Not the point. See Forum Rule 0.
Garden Dwarf

Post by Garden Dwarf »

No Warez. No Abandonware discussions. Okay. So maybe I used wrong terms to write my question.

You are the owner, I am the user. You made a fantastic job and thank you for letting us using it. Nothing to add here, you can close the discussion if you want.
clem

Post by clem »

Back to the original question; generally only point and click adventure games are added to ScummVM, and only if a developer is interested enough to do it (it's lots of work afterall). The more RPG-like games in ScummVM (Elvira, Elvira II) are there because they share the underlying engine with adventure games supported by ScummVM.

As far as I know, the first two Eye of the Beholder games share at least some common points with one of the engines in ScummVM - however support for them is probably not likely any time soon.
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

Garden Dwarf wrote: Don't be angry. Accept it or search another job.
LoL, calm down man. I'm not more than a user here, I don't even have any ties to the ScummVM team but I thought I'd answer this question because they have to explain this to dozens of people over and over again. And yeah, Forum rule #0. And if the game is a fan re-write then maybe they could come up with a Linux or whatever port? ScummVM is really about Point & Click games and I don't think it's wise to broaden that spectrum because then you'd start porting everything.
A600

Post by A600 »

clem wrote:As far as I know, the first two Eye of the Beholder games share at least some common points with one of the engines in ScummVM - however support for them is probably not likely any time soon.
Preliminary support for Lands of Lore was added today:
Committed slightly modified patch #2029395 "KYRA: Lands of Lore Intro + Character selection".
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

A600 wrote:Preliminary support for Lands of Lore was added today:
Committed slightly modified patch #2029395 "KYRA: Lands of Lore Intro + Character selection".
I wouldn't call that 'preliminary support' though.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Heh Dungeon Master in SCUMM VM... Scary idea, though honestly not so farfetched IMO as a possibility. But given there has been java based remakes for DM 1&2 platform isn't that big an issue.

Hmm I like the LoL games, just wish 3 worked properly under XP for me as it's the only one I have.

And regarding the EoB games clem, they and the DM games have a lot in common interface wise, but frankly I'd like to see someone produce a TSR/SSI "Gold box" VM for all the old AD&D games, but I'm too nostalgic.
ovvldc

Post by ovvldc »

I think there have been EOB remakes in Neverwinter Nights that you can run on your mac.

As for the Gold Box games, DOSBox is by far the easiest way to go. Also works well for Bard's Tale, Dragon Quest and so on.

best wishes,
Oscar
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

I know Dosbox well Oscar. It's my current solution for most of my Gold box games (amongst others), excluding the few that are from my old A500 only. But then if you want to be pedantic all of the SCUMM VM supported DOS games are fully (from memory) operable under DosBox too. Like and need are two separate things, but there's a lot of old RPG games that wouldn't suffer from having a purpose built VM like we have thanks to the SCUMM VM developers, while I can tweak Dosbox pretty well it's still frustrating having to do things like tweak cycles independantly for each different game to get a smooth playback because the designers were foolish enough not to consider coding in a throttle.

Oh and FYI I'm not a Mac user, and I don't own Neverwinter Nights as I'm very much opposed to D20 in general. Unless you count the original AOL Door game NWN, in which case I still have a copy somewhere.